Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Coping with nerves

Afternoon everybody! Hope you're all ok, havn't posted in a while but havn't stopped reading. I'm fighting tomorrow, so left it a little late but I'd like to know for future reference how people cope with nerves and what arse the best techniques? I know everybody gets them but I suffer quite bad and tend to tense my shoulders and in doing so lose a lot of my power and tire easily. I've read about visualization, Relaxation techniques and cognitive restructing. Has anyone had any success with either of these? Also does anyone have any techniques of their own, thanks! Southpawwolves.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Coping with nerves

I listen to music on headphones before my matches. Cancel out the hype going on around me and find it helps with music I find relaxing. Sometimes it's the simple things that do it. Each person likely a little different.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've lately begun to use something called Holosync...very relaxing after it tears you up when you first get into it.
    As to boxing...Your trainer needs to be after that, getting you to relax and be loose. You can see when a guy is tight, all tensed up, and you need to call him on it and get him to loosen up. You'll never perform up to full potential if you are tight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the best counters to Nerves is proper preparation with your conditioning and a lot of quality sparring. You should never have to ask yourself whether or not you are in good enough shape. The sparring allows you to know exactly what you are getting into and hopefully confidence in your ability to handle the situation... Whenever fighters rush into competition and have doubts about themselves, the nerves begin to take over. A good coach can help with that, but ultimately you have the final say.

The quickest way to get rid of the nerves once the fight has started... BE FIRST!!!!!!!!!! (Be Calm not Wild)
    You are the Creator of all that is, all that was, and all there ever will be.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Enter a fight with full confidence that you've worked as hard as you could have in preperation for a fight! Take that confidence and use it as a "positive" reinforcement to you entering the ring. Visualize you entering a fight when your in the gym training! (spar, shadow, rope, bag work, exercise)
    The fight is the finality of your training sessions. If you train all out then your ready to fight!
    Confidence is developed in the gym for the fight. As time goes on and you gain more experience the fights should give confidence. Train hard to be able to fight hard!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have talked with fighters who have had the same problem. Some tried relaxation techniques, meditation, yoga, etc: Some work cross word puzzles or go to a movio before a fight. And some, tell me they work themselves into a state of rage before a fight and focus on nothing but winning. Which one is correct....I honestly can't say. What works for one, does not work for another. Like a writer before me, I think the more fights you take on and the more confidence you build within yourself will solve the problem. If you mind can conceive the thought that you are a good fighter, you can make it happen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So did you win the fight> >?
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hope u won ur fight. I tend to tell my boys that they are excited for the fight and to keep telling themselves that. The fear and excitement emotions are very close to one another. I tend to use this on the very nervous but really without a coach ur nerves can get the better of u. Happens to the best.

Thread Information