Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Matthysse v Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post
    I really like Matthysee. I'd actually picked him to be the future of the 140lbers but then he lost to Zab. Zab boxed the got in some rounds in. Peterson can box as well as bang. If Peterson can mix up boxing with banging and keep Matthysee unsettle, Peterson by decision.

Thing is I had him winning the Zab fight and winning the Alexander fight. In any event, it is at least an argument that he is undefeated right now. I'm not sure there is anyone at 140 I would favor over Matthysse, although I like the fight with Garcia. I think that is the best fight Golden Boy can make at 140. Rios-Matthysse would be a classic too, but will never happen.
    I rewatched the Alexander fight today. Man that was a poor decision. I had it even after 5 going Matthysse scored a knock down. I then gave him 4 of the last 5. In any case, how on judge scored it 96-93 to Alexander was scandalous. I only watched the highlights of the Judah fight but it looked like Matthysse was in control.

I actually agree that Matthysse is beatable but not by fighters like Peterson and Judah who are at the top of this division who are too one dimensional. I think if Broner fights Matthysse in a year or 2 Broner will beat him
    I'm not exactly sure about that because we don't know how Broner reacts to a punch yet. For three rounds, Rees tagged him a bunch, but Rees can't punch, and he's a lightweight. Matthysse is a one of the hardest punchers in any weight class. However, I hear what you are saying, a better pure boxer than Devon Alexander, might legitimately beat Matthysse. For example, clearly I would favor Floyd to beat Matthysse.

How about Garcia?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Matthysse lays out both Garcia & Rios, but in truly great fights!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lucas by late stoppage, I think Peterson is tough and he will be in this fight for a good bit. I think Matthysse(spelling) will get to him eventually and break him down in what I think will be an entertaining fight. By the way, I think he beat Alexander but when I rewatch the Judah fight I honestly think Judah nipped him. HE was clearly putting on Judah towards the end but form what I remember he gave away too many rds early on.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chinchekked View Post
    Lucas by late stoppage, I think Peterson is tough and he will be in this fight for a good bit. I think Matthysse(spelling) will get to him eventually and break him down in what I think will be an entertaining fight. By the way, I think he beat Alexander but when I rewatch the Judah fight I honestly think Judah nipped him. HE was clearly putting on Judah towards the end but form what I remember he gave away too many rds early on.
    I saw those two fights the same way you did. In hindsight, after seeing how good Matthysse has become, I've attributed my scoring of the Judah fight to me being a Judah fan. However, it is likely that Judah nicked it as Lucas started quite late in that one.

I feel that in a rematch Matthysse would KO Judah or make him quit. The way Judah fought against Khan was embarrassing. Hopefully, he shapes up against Garcia.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got a feeling Garcia is avoiding Matthysse as long as he can.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post
    I really like Matthysee. I'd actually picked him to be the future of the 140lbers but then he lost to Zab. Zab boxed the got in some rounds in. Peterson can box as well as bang. If Peterson can mix up boxing with banging and keep Matthysee unsettle, Peterson by decision.

Thing is I had him winning the Zab fight and winning the Alexander fight. In any event, it is at least an argument that he is undefeated right now. I'm not sure there is anyone at 140 I would favor over Matthysse, although I like the fight with Garcia. I think that is the best fight Golden Boy can make at 140. Rios-Matthysse would be a classic too, but will never happen.
    I rewatched the Alexander fight today. Man that was a poor decision. I had it even after 5 going Matthysse scored a knock down. I then gave him 4 of the last 5. In any case, how on judge scored it 96-93 to Alexander was scandalous. I only watched the highlights of the Judah fight but it looked like Matthysse was in control.

I actually agree that Matthysse is beatable but not by fighters like Peterson and Judah who are at the top of this division who are too one dimensional. I think if Broner fights Matthysse in a year or 2 Broner will beat him
    I'm not exactly sure about that because we don't know how Broner reacts to a punch yet. For three rounds, Rees tagged him a bunch, but Rees can't punch, and he's a lightweight. Matthysse is a one of the hardest punchers in any weight class. However, I hear what you are saying, a better pure boxer than Devon Alexander, might legitimately beat Matthysse. For example, clearly I would favor Floyd to beat Matthysse.

How about Garcia?
    I do t think Garcia is that good. He beat an old Morales, caught Khan in a fight he was behind in and had a ba cut, and then beat an old Morales. He took a very safe fight in Judah who I hope can cause an upset. Matthysse is a better boxer them Garcia in my mind and also looks the bigger puncher. I reckon Matthysse stops him.

The people I see possibly beating Matthyse are Broner, Abril and possibly Burns from lightweight, only person in current division who I think has a chance is Khan, and the of course the big guns at welter, Floyd, Manny, Bradley, JMM. Lots of good fights for him tho, the likes of Thurman, Mallignaggi, maidana, van Heerden all would be entertaining

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Matthysse has improved since his controversial loss and his skill level has improved but Peterson has too and it will be a good technical battle unless Matthysse hits that body hard and often.

Thread Information