Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Chris Eubank Jr and James Degale on the same fight card

Taken from DeGale and Eubank Jr. to share March 23rd card

By Scott Gilfoid:" WBC Silver super middleweight champion James DeGale (14-1, 9 KO’s) and unbeaten middleweight prospect Chris Eubank Jr. (9-0, 4 KO’s) will be sharing the same card on March 23rd at the Glow, Bluewater, Greenhithe, Kent, United Kingdom.

Neither fighter has an opponent picked out but the 27-year-old DeGale is rumored to be facing 37-year-old former WBA World super middleweight champion Brian Magee (36-5-1, 25 KO’s).

It’s a good fight if they can put this one together because still has a little bit left in the tank, even though he got smashed by Mikkel Kessler in his last fight in December.

Kessler knocked Magee down three times en route to stopping him I the 3rd round. Magee handled the head shots without too many problems, but he couldn’t handle getting hit to the body. Once Kessler realized that Magee was vulnerable to the body, he went back there over and again until the fight was halted.

It’s interesting that Eubank Jr. is being put on DeGale’s undercard because the two fighters haven’t gotten along well with one another since a sparring session that they had no long ago. The 23-year-old Eubank Jr. wants to fight DeGale, but it’s going to take a lot more building up before this will be a fight that will sell.

Eubank Jr. needs more seasoning, and needs to develop a little more power for him to compete with DeGale, not that DeGale is a big puncher or anything.

DeGale’s pretty much just a flat-footed slapper, but he’s got more experience than Eubank Jr., and he’s better known. Eubank Jr. needs to get a few good wins under his belt before a DeGale vs. Eubank Jr. fight would be worthwhile viewing.

DeGale, #2 WBO, #4 WBC, #6 IBF, is coming off of a nice little 12 round decision victory over a past his best Fulgencio Zuniga last December. It was a good win but it still didn’t tell us anything about DeGale because of how past it Zuniga is.

DeGale believes he’ll be getting a world title shot in 2013, presumably against WBO super middleweight champion Arthur Abraham. I don’t see it happening, but if it does I think DeGale will take a beating and get knocked out. He doesn’t have the power to beat Abraham, and he won’t be able to avoid Abraham’s big power shots."

Should be interesting, hopefully they will be fighting good opponents. Opinions?
    This will be shown on Channel 5(UK).
    Last edited by Dave1066; 03-15-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Muhammad Ali K.O by Henry Cooper in round 5 in 1963. Ali weighted 204 lbs to Henry Coopers 185.5 lb
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chris Eubank Jr and James Degale on the same fight card

Opinion is that Mick Hennessy couldn't put together a decent card even if he had the help of moonpig. Opponents as always will be patsies and not legitimate tests. I assume this is why Degale signed with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not really a big fan of Degale. But I am a fan of Eubank Jr, I hope they do get a decent opponent for Eubank. As I think Eubank is developing well, needs to step up a bit more. Have a bout with a more skillful opponent, to develope him. If he carries on like he is, who knows in a couple of years time...But that is still very wishful thinking yet.
    Muhammad Ali K.O by Henry Cooper in round 5 in 1963. Ali weighted 204 lbs to Henry Coopers 185.5 lb
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, im a bit frustrated that an opponent hasnt been announced for Eubank yet. That means itll be a short notice job.

If you think about it, Eubank is only just starting his seocond year as a pro and thats pretty normal for a novice pro moving up so he gets a pass but for De Gale who is now European champ to not have an opponent named yet with just a week to go is embarrasing!

Just looked on boxrec and hes down as fighting this bloke, not a bad fight for a weeks notice I spose Alexander Brand : Boxer

I dont know why Chris Eubank didnt go to Hearn who made his own career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed it is embarassing at this stage in Degales career, to not know the opponent your fighting. Looking at the link you supplied Ross that guy does look to have a good record. But I've never seen him in a bout. So don't know his style. Who knows maybe Degale wasn't planning to fight and it was a spur of the moment decision? Which in its self is foolish, but if Degale keeps in shape and keeps his boxing skills sharp. Then it shouldn't be too much trouble.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Yep, im a bit frustrated that an opponent hasnt been announced for Eubank yet. That means itll be a short notice job.

If you think about it, Eubank is only just starting his seocond year as a pro and thats pretty normal for a novice pro moving up so he gets a pass but for De Gale who is now European champ to not have an opponent named yet with just a week to go is embarrasing!

Just looked on boxrec and hes down as fighting this bloke, not a bad fight for a weeks notice I spose Alexander Brand : Boxer

I dont know why Chris Eubank didnt go to Hearn who made his own career.
    Sorry, I didn't realise nobody knew about this and would've posted sooner, the fight with Alexander Brand was announced about a week and a half ago.

James DeGale to meet 'world class' Alexander Brand | Boxing News | ESPN.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I already posted for my dislike to eubank and i share it for degale, he has moments of excellence though and i think if he can harness all his skills he will be hard to beat... I think he does a job on abraham, people forget abraham hasnt had the greatest super middle run, he didnt seem to take his power up with the right game plan degale would beat him, but if degale and eubank fight im hoping they both throw a punch at the same time and knock each other out... Like rocky but nobody beats the count.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1066 View Post
    Agreed it is embarassing at this stage in Degales career, to not know the opponent your fighting. Looking at the link you supplied Ross that guy does look to have a good record. But I've never seen him in a bout. So don't know his style. Who knows maybe Degale wasn't planning to fight and it was a spur of the moment decision? Which in its self is foolish, but if Degale keeps in shape and keeps his boxing skills sharp. Then it shouldn't be too much trouble.
    Theres a couple of videos of him on youtube. His style is quite similar to Mayorga the way he moves and puts his punches together. He lost a split decision to a prospect called Badou Jack and thats not bad when you consider he would have been fighting in Jacks back yard, probably on his promoters show as well and he still wan in the eyes of one of the judges. Had it gone longer than 8 rounds, who knows. Apparently he's had 400 amateur bouts! There is a video of Badou Jack saying hes very awkward to fight and made him look shit. Under the video of their weighin someone has commented that Brand was robbed. So this could be another banana skin like Price recently. Hopefully Brand was in training and is fit because im looking forward to watching a super middle version of Mayorga

YouTube

BADOU JACK ROUND 1 - YouTube

Alexander Brand VS Wilmer Gonzalez Titulo Latinoamericano WBC - YouTube

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVd4bvf98B0

A artical from badlefthook that had Brand as the winner against Jack

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/5/11...t-decision-win
    Last edited by ross; 03-15-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers for posting all the links Ross. I think with Brands record, and his fighting style. He could be real trouble for Degale. Brand hits hard and fast. Brand works the body really well. If I was Degale, and I was watching previous Brand fights. I'd be looking to hone my defences,feints, and fake openings, and lure Brand into a false sense of security, causing him to go off balance or even fall, and nail him with a tight combo whilst off balance or on the way down...Degale can not match Brands power. If I was Degale I'd also be practicing getting my punches off whilst moving or circling to the right, because of brands powerful right hand.

I think its a 50/50 fight. Could go either way. If Brand enters in tip top condition like you mentioned, Degale had better watch out. But if Degale homes in on the fact that Brand over commits and has clumbsy footwork, it could work well to his advantage.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am warming up to Degale and have always rated Eubanks jnr. I hope they can build on the animosity of these two characters and a big fight happens between them next year. Degale is a head at the moment and Eubanks is very new to the game but it would make a cracking fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I reckon the show is getting pulled. Eubank jr just put on facebook that his fight has been postponed.

I think they've struggled to sell tickets. If they have it will be because no one had a clue who eubank or de gale were fighting.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, the whole show has been rescheduled!

Hennesey is a fucking joke of a promoter! Froch left him for the good of his career!

What does he do to promote these shows? I said earlier I didnt have a clue who he was fighting and im a boxing fan!

James DeGale vs. Alexander Brand Clash is Postponed - Boxing News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just seen Eubanks Jr status on facebook too. Eubank Jr posted a status last night trying to sell more tickets. I had been thinking about going. The main reason I didn't get a ticket, is because my van is being an unreliable pig at the moment, doesn't always start from a cold engine. New set of glow plugs on the way..Glad I didn't order the ticket now.

It's a shame the Degale and Brand fight would of been one to watch, have to keep an eye on what Eubank Jr posts.
    Last edited by Dave1066; 03-15-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest I dont think there was an opponent sorted for Eubank anyway.

Frustrating!

I dont think Eubank sr will put up with much more of this and may well look to move.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    To be honest I dont think there was an opponent sorted for Eubank anyway.

Frustrating!

I dont think Eubank sr will put up with much more of this and may well look to move.
    Hasn't Eubanks fought under other promoters or TV? I am sure he has.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information