Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default question on right hook as sp

As a southpaw I and a more taller person naturally whenever I throw my lead hook I always hit them at the end of the punch (long lead hook) and it always is more of a set up punch or distraction it never really has to much power because of the range. (trying to put more power on it)

I heard a coach working with a southpaw saying you have to crowd his lead side when coming in, it'll put more power on the hook as it will be shorter and negate his counter since you're so close to hmi (good positioning foot deep to outside)

I never tried this tactic and want to see more peoples input on this. A good example would be the ward vs dawson fight andre kept crowding his lead side and dawson didn't get a chance to execute much off that lead hand for that reason

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: question on right hook as sp

Hi hma123,
    You wrote this:
    As a southpaw I and a more taller person naturally whenever I throw my lead hook I always hit them at the end of the punch (long lead hook) and it always is more of a set up punch or distraction it never really has to much power because of the range. (trying to put more power on it)
    Based on what you wrote here, it comes off that the lack of power in your lead right hook is not due to range issues but more likely from body mechanic ones. You're probably arm-punching it and need in-depth tuition on how to "sit down" and "turn-into" your shot to put more body weight and torque into it. Doing these two things properly will translate into more power in your lead right hook.

and this:
    I heard a coach working with a southpaw saying you have to crowd his lead side when coming in, it'll put more power on the hook as it will be shorter and negate his counter since you're so close to hmi (good positioning foot deep to outside)
    This is a maneuver that puts you in a good position to land a lead right hook but not necessarily one that will put more power into it.

Anyway, since I don't know what your coaching/training situation is, I have a few suggestions for you: 1) get together with your coach or find one and have him evaluate your body mechanics then go from there to improve them; 2) watch YouTube videos of potent lead hook punchers such as Mike Tyson, Joe Frazier, Sugar Ray Robinson, Bob Foster, Tommy Morrison, etc and absorb their body mechanics (via visually "soaking" them in and taking specific written notes on what they specifically do - from head to toe > body positioning, arm positioning, spacing of the legs, bend in the knees, positioning & movement of the feet, body/hip rotation, etc) then go in front of a full-length mirror and integrate them (slowly and gradually) into your body mechanics. On that note, be very careful and conscientious in what you program into yourself. Understand that "Practice doesn't make perfect." "Perfect practice makes perfect." And conversely, "Imperfect practice makes imperfect." So, if you don't have the aptitude & attributes to objectively evaluate and correct yourself then you need to find a competent coach who can help you.

By the way, one last thing, don't worry about all the fighters I recommended for you to watch being orthodox fighters who execute lead left hooks while you are a southpaw fighter who utilizes a lead right one. It's not difficult to extrapolate/reverse everything they do for southpaw purposes.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck...

Take Care,
    Lito
    Last edited by StrictlySP; 04-01-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The "longer" the hook, the more like a swing/slap it becomes, especially if you haven't mastered your footwork and the subtleties of weight transference. To paraphrase Bernard Hopkins, straight punches are for long range and hooks and uppercuts are for close work.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Might also pay you to break down the movements in your mind first into block,adjust, hook; or disrupt his lead,feign, adjust your feet, then hook, on the turn like screwing out that cigarette but with your front foot after its landed; and make use of his opening under his elbow or above his shoulder,high or low hook (which ever level his lead arm retreats to).
    If you are going straight for it around his lead jab, like you say; you are maintaining distance, and it is over reaching into more of a long rounded off shot.
    Both shots will gain more power and correct timing though, if your feet take you into the right zone to throw them and keep you in better balance.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward had a good hook against dawson check it out

Thread Information