Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default New to boxing, needing help

Hey all,
    I have been taking interest in boxing throughout my years, but now I feel I have been wasting time. I would love to get started however I am a skinny fat ectomorph which sucks :/, I weigh 138 lbs and height is 5'7. But I think it is possible to give it a shot. There are no boxing gyms near my house. I have a pull up bar and skipping rope. I heard weights are not required during boxing. I stopped doing weight training, I have not gained much muscle mass, however I gained a little strength in my arms, but still skinny as a match stick. I cannot buy a punching bag because the walls are hollow and will not be able to support the heavy bag. However I heard one of my cousins has a punching bag, and they will hang it on the garage wall soon. So once they do I will be going there often.

I have been inspired by Muhammad Ali and I have met Amir Khan in a restaurant when I was small . At the moment I am 15 years old, I used to do only sport and cardio on Mondays and other days weight training. I did do full sprint and I was surprised how unfit I was, I cant run for long but I can run fast. I get tired quite quick in HIIT, after it I feel dizzy and my head shakes. The problem is if I do too much cardio I will lose weight :/

My goal is to get into boxing and get into shape for boxing. I do not have a boxing routine at the moment and would be well appreciated if a trainer gives me a boxing routine Advises will also be well appreciated.
    Thank you all ~ Altster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New to boxing, needing help

If you want to get better at boxing you need to box.

While there may be no boxing gyms near you, there might be a mutai, mma, kickboxing gym near by.
    Even try a self defense gym/class.

You need to be shown how to punch, one to one.

Nothing beats coaching 121.

You can practice without going to a gym, but you need to learn the basics first.

Footwork, shadow boxing, combinations, can be learned but you need the basics before you can really understand boxing.

Making a fist, punching, stance, everything needs to be learned through 121 experience.

Do not avoid other disciplines(sports), best way to start boxing may be to learn another martial art.

You mentioned Khan, are you in UK because it will be easy to locate a ABA gym.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Altster View Post
    Hey all,
    I have been taking interest in boxing throughout my years, but now I feel I have been wasting time. I would love to get started however I am a skinny fat ectomorph which sucks :/, I weigh 138 lbs and height is 5'7. But I think it is possible to give it a shot. There are no boxing gyms near my house. I have a pull up bar and skipping rope. I heard weights are not required during boxing. I stopped doing weight training, I have not gained much muscle mass, however I gained a little strength in my arms, but still skinny as a match stick. I cannot buy a punching bag because the walls are hollow and will not be able to support the heavy bag. However I heard one of my cousins has a punching bag, and they will hang it on the garage wall soon. So once they do I will be going there often.

I have been inspired by Muhammad Ali and I have met Amir Khan in a restaurant when I was small . At the moment I am 15 years old, I used to do only sport and cardio on Mondays and other days weight training. I did do full sprint and I was surprised how unfit I was, I cant run for long but I can run fast. I get tired quite quick in HIIT, after it I feel dizzy and my head shakes. The problem is if I do too much cardio I will lose weight :/

My goal is to get into boxing and get into shape for boxing. I do not have a boxing routine at the moment and would be well appreciated if a trainer gives me a boxing routine Advises will also be well appreciated.
    Thank you all ~ Altster
    Fairly similar to what Boyla said.

Technique is something to focus on early. I was taught to shadow box or hit the bag at a slow pace, just throw slow combinations and once its very comfortable, get faster, then faster.

Film yourself on your phone, iPad, etc, and watch it back, you'll be able to tell how your progressing, technique wise.

Other things you can do without a gym.
    -Skip (buy rope)
    -jog
    -shadow box
    -push ups, sit ups, pull ups

I also wouldn't stop using your weight bar, I understand why you were told it wasn't needed, but if you believe that you are too skinny then your obviously uncomfortable with your weight, so I'd continue to try and get bigger.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ah I just located a boxing gym
    Just 3 miles away which is fine by me. I shall join the boxing gym, and a silly question I wear glasses and if I take them off I am not able to see very well. I would be needing to take the glasses off during sparring and fighting right? :O I think I am not able to join with these glasses.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just 3 miles away which is fine by me. I shall join the boxing gym, and a silly question I wear glasses and if I take them off I am not able to see very well. I would be needing to take the glasses off during sparring and fighting right? :O I think I am not able to join with these glasses.
    I wear contact lenses.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    I wear contact lenses.
    I should get contacts then But I will be needing my glasses still for general, contacts only for boxing :P

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    I wear contact lenses.
    I should get contacts then But I will be needing my glasses still for general, contacts only for boxing :P
    Good luck.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing with contacts is the way to go, but do not be surprised when they end up getting knocked out. So i would shadow box and hit bags with nothing on from time to time, so that way you are prepared for the inevitable.
    You are the Creator of all that is, all that was, and all there ever will be.....

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cnote111 View Post
    Boxing with contacts is the way to go, but do not be surprised when they end up getting knocked out. So i would shadow box and hit bags with nothing on from time to time, so that way you are prepared for the inevitable.
    When I spar I take a spar pair, I taught my mate how to put them in my eyes just incase.
    Lucky enough for me it hasn't happened yet.

I don't really like being hit in the face so I'm elusive lol.
    You say tomato,

Thread Information