Thread: Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado II - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado II - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Rios vs. Alvarado, should be another war next Saturday on HBO.

March 30th
    At Las Vegas (HBO): Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado, rematch, 12 rounds, for vacant WBO interim junior werlterweight title; Terrance Crawford vs. Breidis Prescott, 10 rounds, junior welterweights; Jose Ramirez vs. Charles Dubray, 4 rounds, lightweights.

Rios knows he can stop Alvarado now, and I figure he'll do it a little quicker this time, Rios by 6th round TKO.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't wait for this rematch, IMO it was fight of the year last year, it was better than Pacquiao - Marquez 4. I think Alvarado was hurt when he got stopped but maybe he could have carried on for a bit longer, it was a very close war and I am expecting the same again. Alvarado IMO can box better than he did the first time around , he got drawn into a war, which was no doubt entertaining but that type of fight was more suited for Rios hence why he won the fight.

If Alvarado can box more he will have a better chance of winning, but I think it will just turn into another war with Rios winning another stoppage victory. Alvarado does have to not get involved as much on the inside though if he wants to take rounds.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado II - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    I can't wait for this rematch, IMO it was fight of the year last year, it was better than Pacquiao - Marquez 4. I think Alvarado was hurt when he got stopped but maybe he could have carried on for a bit longer, it was a very close war and I am expecting the same again. Alvarado IMO can box better than he did the first time around , he got drawn into a war, which was no doubt entertaining but that type of fight was more suited for Rios hence why he won the fight.

If Alvarado can box more he will have a better chance of winning, but I think it will just turn into another war with Rios winning another stoppage victory. Alvarado does have to not get involved as much on the inside though if he wants to take rounds.
    Alvarado was done, the ref stopped it just before Rios was going to knock him out:

Good stoppage, Alvarado, lives to fight another day and gets a rematch.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado II - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

Alvarado was done, the ref stopped it just before Rios was going to knock him out:

He was on the way out I do agree, but maybe in Alvarados eyes he might have preferred to put knocked out instead of being stopped? I do agree he lives to fight another day and the referee did the right thing, but fighters have pride and some dont like being stopped, maybe that could have been the case for Alvarado.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rios is a great brawler but his skill set is massively overrated. I think he'll probably win this but I'd expect he gets easily oitboxed when he steps up.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Rios is a great brawler but his skill set is massively overrated. I think he'll probably win this but I'd expect he gets easily oitboxed when he steps up.
    When he steps up?, who the fuck is he going to step up to at Jr. Welterweight?

As for being massively overrated, kind of like you on this forum.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was on the way out I do agree, but maybe in Alvarados eyes he might have preferred to put knocked out instead of being stopped? I do agree he lives to fight another day and the referee did the right thing, but fighters have pride and some dont like being stopped, maybe that could have been the case for Alvarado.
    Well warriors like Mike Alvarado will go out on their shield, but a good ref will stop the fight before they get seriously hurt. Mike, protested a little bit, but he was looking defenseless, and Rios was going in for the kill, the ref did exactly the right thing.

I'll be surprised we see a different result in the rematch, I believe Rios will end it even earlier this time.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both of these guys sponge more than a Sunday afternoon carwash. First fight was awesome but Alvarado isn't a backfoot boxer and I think he will try to be based on first few rounds, but he has always swaped shots in the end.

I cannot get away from thinking Rios will walk right through him, brutally and early in rematch. Its not that Rios improves but he at least knows his identity and has come to terms with being a punching bag throwing bricks.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have to agree with the consensus. Rios beats Alvardo again. I personally think Rios is overrated, but don't think Alvardo is the man to expose him.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the first packed fight weekend of the year. Rios-Alvardo, Erdei-Grachev & Rodriquez-Maderna & Golovkin-Ishida, Chilemba-Bellew & Crolla-Matthews in ONE weekend. Finally.

One of the more intriguing fights for me is Chilemba-Bellew.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 03-25-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Have to agree with the consensus. Rios beats Alvardo again. I personally think Rios is overrated, but don't think Alvardo is the man to expose him.
    Eh, why is he overrated? He's every bit as good as the other top Jr. welters, including Peterson, D. Garcia and Lucas Matthysse, et al, so I don't get this "massively" overrated bullshit.

BTW, I believe Rios hands little boner his ass.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should have lost to Abril but got a gift if a decision. I agree he is not that good a technical boxer and someone with good skills could beat him. But in the division at the moment he give anyone a fight. I reckon he beats Peterson and Garcia and loses to Matthysse in a war. That's the top 3 in the division. I think he loses easily to Broner

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post

He should have lost to Abril but got a gift if a decision. I agree he is not that good a technical boxer and someone with good skills could beat him. But in the division at the moment he give anyone a fight. I reckon he beats Peterson and Garcia and loses to Matthysse in a war. That's the top 3 in the division. I think he loses easily to Broner
    Thank you, but he's not "overrated", and he's good at what he does. As for little boner, Rios kicks his punk ass.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 03-25-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I rewatched the first fight recently. I scored it the same as Lederman. Rios edged the first but then basically lost every round except the one he stopped Alvarado in. Alvarado boxed as much as he could in the first fight and the second fight will be very similar to the first. Rios wins an entertaining brawl, it may be quicker or longer than episode one lasted. Can't wait to watch it though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I rewatched the first fight recently. I scored it the same as Lederman. Rios edged the first but then basically lost every round except the one he stopped Alvarado in. Alvarado boxed as much as he could in the first fight and the second fight will be very similar to the first. Rios wins an entertaining brawl, it may be quicker or longer than episode one lasted. Can't wait to watch it though.
    If I remember right, didn't Rios have some issues, like being weight drained for the Abril fight? I'm not making excuses for Rios, just saying i've never seen him look as bad, and I believe he would kick Abril's ass in a rematch.

Thread Information