Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: what you think of this angle (video)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default what you think of this angle (video)

As a southpaw or against one I came upon this video on youtube and was always taught how to dominate the foot outside position but this is a tactic if your foot is on the inside for whatever reason. However im not sure how effectice this is or would be (not saying guy is wrong) just saying I dont recall seeing this and if there was a fighter that ever did this can you please post a link?

video

whats your thoughts? would it work? anything to add to note on if I try it in sparring?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: what you think of this angle (video)

I wonder if he thinks he was the first guy to come up with that idea? That is a pretty numb-skull way to go about it. Why step over like that and make him move out of range? That slide to the right should be a more subtle move because you are trying to make him throw the left hand first, then surround it. If you get out there from the start he moves away and you have to chase him again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I wonder if he thinks he was the first guy to come up with that idea? That is a pretty numb-skull way to go about it. Why step over like that and make him move out of range? That slide to the right should be a more subtle move because you are trying to make him throw the left hand first, then surround it. If you get out there from the start he moves away and you have to chase him again.
    Yeah I thought the same thing, so in other words would you try it or how would you adjust it?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, I would try it. In fact, I think it is the best way to fight a southpaw. What you are doing is gaining the inside punching position, which is the most advantageous position. In this case you are getting your left hand inside both of his hands. By jumping to the right, like in the video, you take yourself out of position entirely.
    So if your left foot is inside his right foot, your jab is inside his jab, a better angle. His body is vulnerable to short left hooks and uppercuts, and his liver is right there. OK, so you have moved 'into' his left hand but you know that and you know he wants to throw it...And your left hand is in perfect position to beat his to the punch (traveling a much shorter distance, and him moving to it with the force of his punch). You are slipping to your right, with your right hand to block or parry his left, and hooking or jabbing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's still looking to get outside position after working his step!
    What you don't see today against southpaws are good boxers moving laterially and using a double & triple jab. Get the southpaw turning off his lead foot as you "slide to your left" with multiple jabs. This is a lost technique that was utilized in the USA boxing program under Pat Nappy and taught by all the Olympic trainers at the center in Colo. Spr. Leonard, Davies, Spinks and all the kids with good boxing coordination used thois basic technique against all competitors and it sets things up and is easy to teach what to look for while your doing it! Its not easy to counter because most fighters today don't punch "with" their opponents at the same time. Boxing has become a give and take tag game!!! Why I don't know, I guess the trainers don't teach countering the way we used to. Todays countering is off of an opponents shots and rarely at the same time!! Hell anyone can box...Tag!!!

As for the video its fine if you can get in on the guy as he adjusting. Other than that he's still looking for outside position. Ray.

Thread Information