Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Facing centerline serious question

Hello this has been on my mind for a while now about the concept of facing the centerline........I have been taught by numerous trainers since day one to always be "bladed" giving them the lead shoulder,and NOT be square. But there's a huge thread on another forum about the complete opposite and having your foot and body face the centerline.
    Here's the thread im talking about:
    Facing the center line: - Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Not only learning and being around boxing have I not seen this in advanced guys but nor in any world champs today atleast I dont think I see any of the fighting with their lead foot and body facing their opponents center.
    My question is why? Im bringing this up now also because Ive seen another quick post of someone saying the same thing, the insert Ill type here from another website is:

--The final important aspect of stance is the positioning of the lead foot. To best defend against punches, the lead foot, and likewise the lead hand, should point at the centerline of the opponent's body. This ensures that you are always properly facing him--in position to hit him without being hit yourself. Next time you watch a boxing match, or any other high level striking exhibition, take note of the "most boring" moments. Watch the fighters' feet as they constantly make tiny adjustments, jockeying for dominant position on one another. This is the invisible battle of positioning that makes a fighter truly dangerous to any opponent.--

After seeing that for the 2nd time I had to post this to a website like here to see what everyone thinks of this, and is right/wrong, should I change my stance Ive been with for years because of this new hype?
    Is it REALLY qorth it? I like to stand bladed and give them that lead shoulder, I find my presence hard to hit by not giving them openings, but if this is worth adding than I will.

Better if anyone could support their anwser with video-examples.
    Thoughts?

BTW sorry for the recents posts in the last month this will be the last one for a while thank you

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Facing centerline serious question

Mostly for boxing you stay as you say bladed hard to hit even your head off your own center line slightly.

I tend to think when considering the two, that one or the other ways wont work in the opposite situation that the other works in.

Nothing is fixed in fighting though, some rare things work sometimes.

For Mma I think a shifting center line can be put to better use, theres alot more threats to think of off both sides of the opponent,both feet elbows knees as well as fists and grappling, many times its of advantage to maintain nose to nose equal contact with both sides of yourself,but again, not always.

Think about the times when it would be an advantage to be more square and that would be only momentarily like when on the outside of their arm after slipping out there or after making them miss, so that you have shifted your center line 45% or so using your feet, made them miss a shot but they end up moving into your new center line direction,it could work for you then but just for that moment.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Mostly for boxing you stay as you say bladed hard to hit even your head off your own center line slightly.

I tend to think when considering the two, that one or the other ways wont work in the opposite situation that the other works in.

Nothing is fixed in fighting though, some rare things work sometimes.

For Mma I think a shifting center line can be put to better use, theres alot more threats to think of off both sides of the opponent,both feet elbows knees as well as fists and grappling, many times its of advantage to maintain nose to nose equal contact with both sides of yourself,but again, not always.

Think about the times when it would be an advantage to be more square and that would be only momentarily like when on the outside of their arm after slipping out there or after making them miss, so that you have shifted your center line 45% or so using your feet, made them miss a shot but they end up moving into your new center line direction,it could work for you then but just for that moment.
    Agreed 100% that's why I posted this because I never really heard of fighters facing the center and being effective.
    The thought is giving them a direct threat with lead foot,hip,and shoulder pointed at them and will make them second guess their attack? Not sure if its more pyschological than physical but that was my concern.

Also you mentioned head off center, that's something I was gaining more interest to also I know there's a vid on youtube of charles burley I believe using this concept. But I wanted to know what modern day fighters use this? As a southpaw would this be effective as much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was reminded of this bout and it actually demonstrates the principal nicely. When Ross Puritty fought Wladimir Klitschko he was a journeyman whom no one thought a whole lot of. This isn't a very exciting fight, but watch how they move. Just by facing Wlad's center, Puritty off-sets Wlad's whole offense

Me myself is trying to get more examples so people know what im talking about and to see what they think of something like this. If its so effective like few people say then why isnt the world doing it?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont know about Ross off putting Wlads offensive?

Its not my type of fight to watch Im into the lesser weights so I only flicked on a piece of each round. Seemed to me Wlad was eiasly punchig Ross in between his gloves for most of the fight.

Maybe ross thought.. I can take his jabs I can bang better with both hands, my hooks and swings are my best hope to stop him,I cant outbox him traditionally,I have a good chin Im not scared of his power, Ill fight square ,I'll come forwards and force him to go out sideways and being square Ill catch him right there as he is trying to escape.

It shows being square works a treat when they are on the ropes being able to stop them escaping out both sides equally making them pay each time. Also when someone is stuck in a corner and the ropes stop their side movement and restrict them if they are in defensive mode that square shouldered approach is going to have you right there to bang up every opening that arises..

If you are winning and want to finish it or if you are not worried about someones power later i a fight why not?

Look at Tyson he fought square and moved into range beyond what many thought they could hold him off at, he choked out their style and fought at his own distance.
    Your natural gifts,height reach,flexibility, chin, a plodder or fully mobile, will all play a huge part in what style suits you and taking the other guys into account, what suits on the night.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre, has hit on the head really.. A boxing match is ever changing at any given time. Style and both boxers pros and cons come into it. What Andre is saying is be a smart fighter...Change to the circumstances. Smart fighters that change to a situation immediately or quickly usually end out on top.

I personally try to stay bladed most of the time, I do get picked up by the coachs on squaring off. I was given a very good example of why you shouldn't square off. If somebody thats accurate with there fists, steps in with a striaght and hits you full power to the solar plexus. Your more than likey get dropped.
    Muhammad Ali K.O by Henry Cooper in round 5 in 1963. Ali weighted 204 lbs to Henry Coopers 185.5 lb
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre wards feet against carl froch are faultless. I show my son it to show how to stand and move. Boring for some but i enjoy this part of boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id like to see some more insight on this also

Thread Information