Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Austin Trout - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Austin Trout - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Heart vs Brain for me or this guy > I really want Trout to pull this off, and I think it will be the hardest style who comes in fresh and boxing mind Alvarez has faced. But I just cannot get past Alvarez killing his mobility as it goes with obvious body work and not respecting Trouts power down the stretch. At some point Trout will have to go flat footed and try to be too cute and have to stand in. Body body body, Can't get around it. Trout is a solid talent and earned his spot but Canelo, who i've been hard as Hell on, should kick in the door in what will be his big 'breakout' declaratrion for a unam dec. Hope to be wrong frankly
    The first straight left hand Alvarez feels from another fellow middleweight will change the dynamics of this fight. Has he even faced a southpaw? To me this is the coming out party for Trout more so then Cotto was. For Alvarez imo its more of a cut the umbilical cord fight. He's fighting the first prime 154 fighter in the top 5 after 40 fights.

Austin all day but a controversial decision which in some way favours Alvarez imo.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs. Austin Trout - Saturday night fight/chat thread

Rooting for Trout (surprise ). And I think he beats the Canelo that showed up against Mosley.
    We'll see what Canelo brings to the fight.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    You've got to take the fact that this fight is in Texas into consideration. If Donaire Rigondeaux had been in Texas then Donaire would have won a split decision.

If Alvarez spends the fight coming forward and throwing punches then even if he gets picked off and soundly outboxed all night long then he'll get the decision.

And that's what I think will happen. I'm not sold on Alvarez. He looks the business in fights but he's fighting welterweights and light welterweights. I think Trout is a massive step up for him and will have enough to win a UD, but then Alvarez will get it on the cards.

If Alvarez does walk through him then I'll have to take him seriously.
    True, For Alvarez, San Antonio, Texas is like having the fight in Mexico, the Alamodome will be jammed full of Mex fans not wanting to see their boy lose.

I'm thinking Alvarez spanks Austin, but then I thought Cotto would too. Keep in mind that in over 50 years of predicting fights i've never been wrong 2 weeks in a row.

WAR CANELO!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Heart vs Brain for me or this guy > I really want Trout to pull this off, and I think it will be the hardest style who comes in fresh and boxing mind Alvarez has faced. But I just cannot get past Alvarez killing his mobility as it goes with obvious body work and not respecting Trouts power down the stretch. At some point Trout will have to go flat footed and try to be too cute and have to stand in. Body body body, Can't get around it. Trout is a solid talent and earned his spot but Canelo, who i've been hard as Hell on, should kick in the door in what will be his big 'breakout' declaratrion for a unam dec. Hope to be wrong frankly
    The first straight left hand Alvarez feels from another fellow middleweight will change the dynamics of this fight. Has he even faced a southpaw? To me this is the coming out party for Trout more so then Cotto was. For Alvarez imo its more of a cut the umbilical cord fight. He's fighting the first prime 154 fighter in the top 5 after 40 fights.

Austin all day but a controversial decision which in some way favours Alvarez imo.
    Finally time for Canelo to put on his big-boy pants and face a fresh force on a upward career swing. I'm with that all around, I think the best jab Canelo has faced is Gomez?! But I know momentum and ability realized carries both ways. Trout had to change his plan vs Cotto and hang in and I think Canelo has him there also, and Trout has shown hes ok with trying to coast and hear the boos. Maybe he opens that cut Shane had going? Dude is a sharp hitter at angles. Just have a feeling. Alvarez will out physical him before its all said and done, Trout has never been hit in the gut like that and put money on Canelo being "unofficial" middle plus .

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Finally time for Canelo to put on his big-boy pants and face a fresh force on a upward career swing. I'm with that all around, I think the best jab Canelo has faced is Gomez?! But I know momentum and ability realized carries both ways. Trout had to change his plan vs Cotto and hang in and I think Canelo has him there also, and Trout has shown hes ok with trying to coast and hear the boos. Maybe he opens that cut Shane had going? Dude is a sharp hitter at angles. Just have a feeling. Alvarez will out physical him before its all said and done, Trout has never been hit in the gut like that and put money on Canelo being "unofficial" middle plus .
    We can debate where they should be. Both fight a division under and I'd wager the only thing stopping Alvarez from going to middle is the fact that most of them are super middleweights. Pleasantly surprised should Alvarez do as you suggest. I think Trout will put on a clinic and in some way get penalized for it. And will eat crow if I'm wrong. I think we both watch him win the fight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We can debate where they should be. Both fight a division under and I'd wager the only thing stopping Alvarez from going to middle is the fact that most of them are super middleweights. Pleasantly surprised should Alvarez do as you suggest. I think Trout will put on a clinic and in some way get penalized for it. And will eat crow if I'm wrong. I think we both watch him win the fight.

So playing devils advocate here, it's too easy to say Trout is going to put on a clinic and get robbed, leaves too much room for the definition of a clinic. What if its a close fight and Canelo gets the decision, would still be a robbery?

Unfortunately the kid is a victim of his own success, Trout is literally at his peak mentally and physically. Because Canelo has been built up so much we are putting him in a position where if he loses he will be called a fraud and thats not entirely fair for a 22 year old.

With all that being said I do think Canelo is mature enough to be able to pull out a hard fought victory. I think he is stronger and has faster hands than Trout inside which is where he is going want position himself.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even after Cotto, I'm still not sold on Trout. Before that fight I didn't think he was that good and I can't make my mind up if it was a good Trout or a poor Cotto. I still say Canelo beats the crap outta him. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but I don't see him dealing with that kind of pressure.

You've all been asking who has Canelo fought that is on Trout's level. Who has Trout fought other than an old version of a blown up welter?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Even after Cotto, I'm still not sold on Trout. Before that fight I didn't think he was that good and I can't make my mind up if it was a good Trout or a poor Cotto. I still say Canelo beats the crap outta him. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but I don't see him dealing with that kind of pressure.

You've all been asking who has Canelo fought that is on Trout's level. Who has Trout fought other than an old version of a blown up welter?
    The Delvin Rodriguez that Trout faced is better than any win on Canelo's resume. Cotto is definitely better than any win on Canelo's resume. Canelo himself has never even faced a prime junior middleweight, good or bad. That's the knock on Canelo and it's a fair one.

In suggesting that Cotto was passed it in his fight with Trout, are you also diminishing Floyd's win over Cotto?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be impressive if Canelo went from having never faced a top ten junior middleweight to wiping the floor with the the top of the food chain at junior middleweight.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post

The Delvin Rodriguez that Trout faced is better than any win on Canelo's resume. Cotto is definitely better than any win on Canelo's resume. Canelo himself has never even faced a prime junior middleweight, good or bad. That's the knock on Canelo and it's a fair one.

In suggesting that Cotto was passed it in his fight with Trout, are you also diminishing Floyd's win over Cotto?
    I should point out I'm not saying Cotto is past it, I'm more speculating. Cotto was his usual self against Floyd but he didn't pressure Trout in the same way. I genuinely don't know if Cotto got old over night or if Trout is really that good. All I know is I watched a few Trout fights before the Cotto fight and I didn't see anything special there. If he beats Canelo I'll be impressed and also relieved as a big fan of Cotto.
    Last edited by bzkfn; 04-17-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post

So playing devils advocate here, it's too easy to say Trout is going to put on a clinic and get robbed, leaves too much room for the definition of a clinic. What if its a close fight and Canelo gets the decision, would still be a robbery?

Unfortunately the kid is a victim of his own success, Trout is literally at his peak mentally and physically. Because Canelo has been built up so much we are putting him in a position where if he loses he will be called a fraud and thats not entirely fair for a 22 year old.

With all that being said I do think Canelo is mature enough to be able to pull out a hard fought victory. I think he is stronger and has faster hands than Trout inside which is where he is going want position himself.
    That is a fair run down. I just think Trout will have more then a fight to win. It is ominous to me that at the last minute Alvarez demanded Floyd sign to fight him or he would bail from the card and move the fight to Texas. That just smells funny. Like deck stacking. In addition the fact is Mr Alvarez has not fought one prime Jr mid in over 40 fights and walks around calling himself world champion. I wont call Alvarez a fraud should he lose but there will be a little "I told you so"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can try and say Alvarez hasn't fought anyone, but the version of Cotto, Trout fought, wasn't any better then the version of Mosley, Canelo fought. Point being, Trout's record and/or competition as a Jr. Middleweight isn't better then Canelo's.

Canelo is young, strong, and he ain't a shot version of Cotto. Trout is going to have his hands full keeping the fully energized Alvarez off of him.
    I believe Alvarez wins a fair & square UD or takes Trout out in one of mid to late rounds.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has he even faced a southpaw?
    The best boxer he's faced so far is Archie Solis. I like what Spicoli is saying about Alvarez and body work but he hit Matthew Hatton in the body all night and couldn't stop a welterweight. Hatton isn't exactly a mobile fighter.

I think Trout avoids taking punishment enough to make the final bell but because Alvarez will be coming forward most of the fight and will have success at times he'll get the decision.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Has he even faced a southpaw?
    The best boxer he's faced so far is Archie Solis. I like what Spicoli is saying about Alvarez and body work but he hit Matthew Hatton in the body all night and couldn't stop a welterweight. Hatton isn't exactly a mobile fighter.

I think Trout avoids taking punishment enough to make the final bell but because Alvarez will be coming forward most of the fight and will have success at times he'll get the decision.
    Thats what I'm thinking but I can see Trout gutting it out late but taking damage. The last thing I want to do is boast about Canelo because I've already said alot of what's been pointed out about him...pampered, padded and spoon fed but strength and precise bodywork on a guy who -must- keep his legs and can fall into another guys fight counts for something. Alvarez jab too, it's a boom stick. When he gets it going can knock Trout off stride, get him stuck between styles big time. Again man I seriously want Trout to take it but it's just a feeling, one of those fights you can almost see.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    You can try and say Alvarez hasn't fought anyone, but the version of Cotto, Trout fought, wasn't any better then the version of Mosley, Canelo fought. Point being, Trout's record and/or competition as a Jr. Middleweight isn't better then Canelo's.

Canelo is young, strong, and he ain't a shot version of Cotto. Trout is going to have his hands full keeping the fully energized Alvarez off of him.
    I believe Alvarez wins a fair & square UD or takes Trout out in one of mid to late rounds.
    Basically what I was trying to say. You probably made your point better though.

Thread Information