Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If you Are A Short Boxer...

And want to know how to fight a taller guy from the outside and control the distance watch my childhood hero Alberto davila

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If you Are A Short Boxer...

Nice . Looked like he had zero respect for that frankie guys right hand which he moved towards al the time. I think Frankie only poked his right out twice in the whole first round.Lacked power later too. Do you think that frankie dude is one of those people who fight with their strongest hand forward?
    Anyway Davila sure picked him apart timing his own jab as a set up to do all the ground work.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As the fight goes on, Duarte lands his share of right hands. But when you box frankie Duarte, you'll end up fighting frankie Duarte. And it may very well be that duarte is a turned around southpaw, unless I am getting him twisted with frankie baltazar, also a top fighter of that time from LA.
    I've always loved the way Davila moves in and out- in this fight he is 32- and sticks that jab on much taller fighters. So much of what he does, i have blatantly stolen and taught to other people. I thought orlando canizlez took Davila- may god pardon me for saying this- to the next level because he had a similar style but punched harder. I stole that, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always have respect for short boxers. I tell my guys...always fear a short boxer...he will get into you and pound hell out of your body...and uppercuts can be expected. If he has been under a good trainer...you better learn to move and keep him outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Grey, What do you think gave Davila the ability to box on the outside with a taller fighter? Isn't it a boxing adage that they say if a shorter boxer tries to outbox a taller boxer, the taller fighter is going to win that game. I was always under the impression that a shorter fighter will have to or be better suited to revert to pressure and infighting even if his primary style was boxing on the outside.

Also check your pms in the next few days. I got a few questions about Davilas boxing style regarding my own. One of the questions is above, but i have others that are more specific, from details down to his hand placement and defense. I've had these questions for a while now (and i'll let you know the reason why), and you seem like the perfect person to ask, seeing as how alot of my questions have to do with Davilas particular style, and you seem to have studied him to a tee.
    Last edited by southpawed; 05-08-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Southpawed: I have been around boxing for over 40 years...as well as many other older fighters. All of us will tell you there are no absolutes in the science of boxing. Every time you think you have something figured out...along comes a fighter that un does what you believe is an absolute. Like I said..I have a lot of respect of short boxers because I have seen so many come into a fight and suddenly they are fighting inside as expected and doing what they are expected and then you have one that comes along with a tactical movement that keeps him on the outside and forces the taller boxer to over reach, get off balance, and ignore his coach screaming at him to get him back into his fight plan. I love talking with trainers and fighters...I learn something new all the time. One of my training techniques is making my beginners watch others in real matches or on video and tell me what they see right, wrong, or anything that caught their attention. Last year I watched an Alabama amateur, age 19, who threw punches so fast, I thought something was wroing with my eyes. It was not even a blur...I had never seen someone so fast. HIs opponent didn't stand a chance. I talked with him afterward and he said he was going to turn pro. That was the last fight I ever saw him in and don't know what happened to him. I would have loved to have spent time learning how he developed the speed. So, in a long way around...I'm saying...you just never know what to expect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was just looking at a picture of Vitali Klitschko knocking out Shannon Briggs (big muscles--his arms were twice the size of Vitali)
    Vatali is 6.75 inches , weight 252 lbs with a record (Oct 2010) of W44 L2 (40KO's)
    Shannon 6.4inches, weight 260 with a record then of W51 L6 (45 KO's)
    Klitscho not only knocked him out, but Shannon was taken to the intensive care unit at the hospital in Hamburg Germany with a left orbital fracture, broken nose, torn left bicep, fight facial fracture and a burst ear drum.
    If you had stood them side by side, you would have probably bet your money on Briggs based on his size and muscle mass alone. Even if Shannon had been shorter and Vatali taller, or the sizes reversed, the outcome would have been the same. It's not the size...it's the skill of the fighter that wins.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    Grey, What do you think gave Davila the ability to box on the outside with a taller fighter? Isn't it a boxing adage that they say if a shorter boxer tries to outbox a taller boxer, the taller fighter is going to win that game. I was always under the impression that a shorter fighter will have to or be better suited to revert to pressure and infighting even if his primary style was boxing on the outside.

Also check your pms in the next few days. I got a few questions about Davilas boxing style regarding my own. One of the questions is above, but i have others that are more specific, from details down to his hand placement and defense. I've had these questions for a while now (and i'll let you know the reason why), and you seem like the perfect person to ask, seeing as how alot of my questions have to do with Davilas particular style, and you seem to have studied him to a tee.
    His control of distance is real sharp. Watch how he moves in circles, and how, when he's out of reach, it is just barely. He can step in and punch with minimal movement, just a short sliding step. And that is because of how well he coordinates the movements of his hands and feet- when his left foot moves, the left hand moves.
    And watch how he makes the other guy move first- and not necessarily punch first, but move first. Sometimes it is just a reaction to a feint that gets Duarte in a spot where he cannot punch, and that lets Davila sneak in and do his work and get out.

Thread Information