Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amir Khan's chin

Amir Khan IS "chinny"... get over it. Doesn't mean he is a shit fighter, I think he is a very good and technically skilled fighter. But it is what it is- makes his fights exciting if you ask me.

Look, all Khan needs to do is put his Muslim diet down for a little bit. Eat some beef and pork on a regular, if a fight happens in Ramadan, skip the observances of Ramadan and focus on your health and diet...and then you can see him stand up!!

The alternative is to fight like how he has been fighting- on the back-foot and back pedaling, slipping punches when he can and counter-punching HARD.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Amir Khan IS "chinny"... get over it. Doesn't mean he is a shit fighter, I think he is a very good and technically skilled fighter. But it is what it is- makes his fights exciting if you ask me.

Look, all Khan needs to do is put his Muslim diet down for a little bit. Eat some beef and pork on a regular, if a fight happens in Ramadan, skip the observances of Ramadan and focus on your health and diet...and then you can see him stand up!!

The alternative is to fight like how he has been fighting- on the back-foot and back pedaling, slipping punches when he can and counter-punching HARD.

Look its no skin off my ass whether he's chinny or not. I cant stand the spoiled mouthpiece. Fact of the matter is, he gets caught out of position and fights stupid. If Robinson fought the way he did he'd have been laid out frequently.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually think he should just go back to Oliver Harrison and just fight as he did when he was younger. He had better offensive timing. His defence will never improve because his balance is so poor anyway. Exciting fighter but his offensive game isn't what it was.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan's had four trainers during his pro career. Oliver Harrison, Jorge Rubio, Freddie Roach and Virgil Hunter. He's been on the deck with all of them.

Same old same old.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No matter who trains khan he isnt going to get much better now. He is still makingthe same mistakes and is easy to hit. I think it was the 1st or 2nd round last night where diaz throw 2 lead right hands and they landed and he never throw 1 after that i remember thinking its a good job he did cause cause would of been inmore trouble. Imaging what Mayweather would do to him with his lead right hand if diaz can hot him that easy.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by littlebif View Post
    No matter who trains khan he isnt going to get much better now. He is still makingthe same mistakes and is easy to hit. I think it was the 1st or 2nd round last night where diaz throw 2 lead right hands and they landed and he never throw 1 after that i remember thinking its a good job he did cause cause would of been inmore trouble. Imaging what Mayweather would do to him with his lead right hand if diaz can hot him that easy.
    Khan can forget Mayweather and the top welterweights for the moment.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I use to think Khan had a weak chin. But after re-watching several of his fights recently I noticed it's not. His chin is decent. It's his punch resistance that's really weak. Some of the times he's been stunned he wasn't even hit on the chin. Really it doesn't even matter where you hit him, he has a hard time taking it. His body stiffens up right away and he makes things worse for himself cuz automatically he starts to panic. He starts back peddling till he can feel his legs and starts going to war. Poor punch resistance isn't really fixable. So him getting dropped or stun is pretty much gonna be a common occurrence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    I thought I'd bring this up as people (including myself) have banged on about how poor Khan's chin is but at 140, Garcia is the only guy who has been able to crack it and Khan has been in with some top notch opposition at 140. It isn't the best chin but people make out like it is one of the worst in boxing when the truth is that there are plenty who have a worse chin who don't get anywhere near as bad a reputation for it. Do you think people exaggerate how bad it is or do you think their argument is fully justified?
    I agree that it's exaggerated. His issue is that he has absolutely no recovery when he gets caught bad.

If Amir had stayed undefeated, he wouldn't be the draw that he is, simpley because he'd of stayed careful to stay undefeated.

Prescott was a bad match up for khan, Prescott is a big puncher plus he's taller with a bigger reach. Prescott isn't the most skilful, he has the power to stop fights with a single punch.

Peterson fight was a joke, I still had khan well up after the point deductions.

And Garcia was being out classed with ease until khan engaged in a brawl that Garcia was always going to win.

Khan is as exciting as he is because he goes into territory that can cost him a loss, when in my book he really doesn't have to, he would have beat Garcia had he stayed careful, but the fight would have probably stunk up the place.
    Mayweather can do this. Is this the main difference between the 2? Mayweather obviously has a better chin tho
    Not really. If you watch the Mosely fight you can observe that after getting rocked Mayweather recovered super fast, holding and smothering whilst he cleared his head and then going on the offensive and punishing Mosely for the rest of the fight. Khan can't do this because he only really knows one way to fight. For me he is a classic amateur boxer who is still struggling to adapt his style to the pros - he doesn't know how to attack intelligently and doesn't really counter - I mean when have we ever seen him pull back or sway away from a punch and turn an opponent's momentum against them with a sharp counter? He doesn't, he just pops off one twos from the outside, then if he ever gets in close it's only under a flurry of punches which you can't help but think as a spectator is as much to protect himself from a counter as it is to hurt his opponent. Once that flurry is over he's back to the outside, unless the guy makes the mistake of stepping back in the interim, in which case he steps forward and tries to unload again, which usually leads to him overreaching and getting caught, at which point he then retreats - but once he's backpedalling he's really vulnerable, because he has no lateral movement going backwards (and barely any going forward) and very little upper body movement.

Also, although his combinations are great for scoring points they often lack venom - he has the rigidity in his upper body when he lets his hands go as if he's trying to knock someone out but the punches have little power (he barely ever activates his hips so even though his feet are fixed none of the power is transmitted up the torso, so he's often only using his arms and shoulders to generate force) and rather than searching for and creating openings before capitalising on them with heavy shots he just peppers people even when they are covering with their gloves and he has the opportunity to go downstairs and set up that one hurtful shot that will make the difference. The problem with such rigidity, particularly combined with linear foot movement is that it denies you the angles you need to tease open a tight defence (solicited by speed) and it also takes away any potential fluidity so although Khan's punches are quick enough that they'll push a guy back they're far too predictable and staccato to make a dent in any serious fighter.

After a few rounds of watching Khan do this most guys will then time him, step back and create the distance they need for a solid hook which Khan just seems oblivious to - does anyone remember watching Khan sparring in the lead up to Garcia and seeing him get tagged and wobbled by a left hook (with head gear in mind). I remember thinking then that Garcia was gonna catch him with that shot at some point and hurt him, and then it would just be a matter of whether or not he would be able to finish him. Roach wasn't in the gym at that point but anyone watching that, even without knowledge of boxing, would have told him to either move to his left and throw a straight right, duck under it or raise his right hand and throw a left followed by a right. I'm pretty sure whoever was there with him mentioned it and he just ignored them. Now Hunter is trying to babysit him but the fact is only one man can make those adjustments, only one man should take responsibility for them (and I'm sorry but you don't need a trainer to tell you this stuff all the time - yes they're there to help you hone your craft, but they're there to supplement your own self-analysis - it's ok to follow dictation as a child and young man but at his age Khan has had more than a decade of experience and should be looking to refine his craft not just with the aid of a trainer but on his own time) and be accountable but the truth is that he is still in denial over the same flaws in his defence that saw him blown out by Prescott. He had the chance then to honestly assess his strengths and weaknesses and go all out to make the right changes but he didn't, he just decided it was better to delegate the responsibility to a star trainer, and then when he got found out again he blamed Roach.

He's got many of the attributes required to be a great boxer but unfortunately they have been cultivated in a very short-sighted fashion which has done his career serious damage in the long term. And let's be honest, Khan's last two fights were supposed to be easy wins for him to reestablish himself as a force in the division but all it has really confirmed is that he just doesn't have it at the highest level. He's that very unfortunate case - he has the skills, and even the will, but not the intelligence or ring IQ to properly utilise them. The way he has cried about Roach not being proactive enough with his training and praised Virgil for shouting instructions to him constantly is an indication of this problem - he needs someone to hold his hand and tell him how to fight cos' he can't make those decisions for himself, and I'm inclined to say that at 26 he never will. Perhaps if Hunter had had him from a boy, the story would be different, but changing Khan's attitude and style in the ring now is like re-coding someone's martial DNA. Honestly, to come back off my tangent, I don't think Khan's chin is that bad - if you get hit on the button with a great shot you'll go, regardless of who you are. It's the naive way he leaves himself open to power shots and his complete lack of ring savvy when it comes to minimising the impact of those blows in terms of using upper body movement and defensive footwork that make him appear so chinny.
    Last edited by SRR; 04-29-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw literally a couple of minutes of something on TV about Khan with his new trainer in California. The one thing he was telling Khan that he couldn't do anymore was where he goes backwards and circles from side to side. Hunter was explaining how that really didn't work for him and Khan was nodding yes, I won't do it again. And as soon as he got dropped on Saturday he went straight back to it.

Khan is what he is, he isn't going to change, and he was very unconvincing on Saturday night. Garcia or Matthysse KO him easily.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saturday showed why Khan never wanted to try to avenge the Prescott loss. Styles make fights and despite Ami winning in wrld class whilst Prescott lst to bums, khan always knew he doest have the power to keep Prescot off him for 12 rounds which is why he picked guys like Molina and Diaz.

I didnt rxpect much from Diaz but he stuck to a gameplan and did the best he could with he skills hes got. The ref was against him which didnt help so h had to bank on a Ko. Khan had to come through some rough patches as he did with Maidana but he was fighting scared in a style thats not natural. His confidence is shot so next time he meets a puncher he will go in with a negative minset instead of being positive so it wont end well for him

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    Saturday showed why Khan never wanted to try to avenge the Prescott loss. Styles make fights and despite Ami winning in wrld class whilst Prescott lst to bums, khan always knew he doest have the power to keep Prescot off him for 12 rounds which is why he picked guys like Molina and Diaz.

I didnt rxpect much from Diaz but he stuck to a gameplan and did the best he could with he skills hes got. The ref was against him which didnt help so h had to bank on a Ko. Khan had to come through some rough patches as he did with Maidana but he was fighting scared in a style thats not natural. His confidence is shot so next time he meets a puncher he will go in with a negative minset instead of being positive so it wont end well for him
    Its true.

And the point violent demise mentioned about the punch resistance is spot on as well.

I just feel sorry for khan but he has made millions but publicly he wants to prove hes the best.

Diaz was just walking through khans combos and the confidence was growing each round.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Talking Re: Amir Khan's chin

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

Its true.

And the point violent demise mentioned about the punch resistance is spot on as well.

I just feel sorry for khan but he has made millions but publicly he wants to prove hes the best.

Diaz was just walking through khans combos and the confidence was growing each round.
    Khan is a decent fighter, but he will never be a great one to be honest they are few and far between,
    I do feel he and other people have over hyped, his ability changing his trainer will not improve his short comings.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan is chinny for sure, but to his credit he has a lot of toughness to hang in there and recover when he gets hurt, and obviously he's very quick and not the easiest guy to tag clean. He'll be a great fighter and most likely a champ for years to come, but that chin of his is always going to be an X-factor.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Khan is chinny for sure, but to his credit he has a lot of toughness to hang in there and recover when he gets hurt, and obviously he's very quick and not the easiest guy to tag clean. He'll be a great fighter and most likely a champ for years to come, but that chin of his is always going to be an X-factor.
    I cant see that.

Garcia will press the action early.
    Theres a major blueprint to beat khan.
    Golden boy are going to think very hard about that next fight.

Amir khan is still young but he has actually past his prime. You dont have to old to be out of it.
    Last edited by imp; 04-30-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan has speed and should be the likes of Peterson and Maliganaggi but should stay away from the big hitters until he perfects the new style that his trainer wants for him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information