Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default ring generalship tips

Jw if there are any general/specific fight tips scenarios about ring generalship,knowing your surroundings/space where you are etc etc......I feel like my coach doesnt go over this enough and its an aspect of fighting im trying to improve on. I feel like this would go under more boxing IQ than literal techniques.......the obvious would be stay off the ropes/corner but trying to learn some more on this (controlling the center,avoiding the ropes,knowing your space,etc) Little things Big difference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: ring generalship tips

Ring Generalship to me is the act of controlling the action by dictating the pace of the fight and establishing your preferred range on offense and defense.

Basic Tip: Make your opponent fight the way you want them too.

If you are a boxer and you don't like brawling, then you must be able to effectively pivot, slip, roll, move and counter punch with the intention of making your opponent slow down to your pace creating a chess match vs a checker player.

The opposite of that would be if you were an aggressive, relentless type you would have to pin your opponent down by cutting the ring off, constantanly close the gap and force your opponent to go "Toe to Toe."
    You are the Creator of all that is, all that was, and all there ever will be.....

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by knocktown View Post
    Jw if there are any general/specific fight tips scenarios about ring generalship,knowing your surroundings/space where you are etc etc......I feel like my coach doesnt go over this enough and its an aspect of fighting im trying to improve on. I feel like this would go under more boxing IQ than literal techniques.......the obvious would be stay off the ropes/corner but trying to learn some more on this (controlling the center,avoiding the ropes,knowing your space,etc) Little things Big difference
    That is a hard thing to answer. James Toney controlled many fights doing nothing but fighting off the ropes. He laid back and made guys that should have stayed away come to him. When he fought Holyfield, he went and got him. Guys like Chavez (SR), Ricardo Lopez, Buddy McGirt and Toney were all top flight ring generals and they all had very different styles.
    Take the time to learn the game, how to fight and how to defend at any range...Because range/distance and controlling it is the key to being an effective ring general. It is by controlling distance that you control the terms of the fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ring generalship as it's been explained to me is very broadly being in control. The most important things to be in control of? Range and pace. Controlling the range can mean forcing the fight to occur at distance, in the pocket or on the inside. Controlling the pace can involve slowing down the tempo or increasing it for a variety of reasons. Being aware of the ring and all that is important for ring generalship in that it effects your ability to control those two things.

It's important to understand that ring generalship can be possessed by any style of fighter. For a nice contrast, take Canelo vs Lara. Lara wanted longer range exchanges and a slower pace than Canelo. To be a better ring general, Lara started by setting a very slow pace with his jab. He would stick it out there, step back slightly, probe with it again and step again. If Canelo tried to come forward, he was sure to keep that jab in his face or start moving. He was able to land some left hands and avoid being hit much at all for the first few rounds. His footwork kept him out of corners so Alvarez couldn't trap him in a range he didn't want and up the pace to an intensity he wasn't comfortable with. However, in the middle rounds, Alvarez' body shots starting taking their toll and he was able to trap Lara in his preferred range a little more frequently. This let him get off a higher volume of shots and start winning some rounds. He thus took over as the better ring general towards the middle of the fight.

If you want to apply this to yourself, understand what kind of boxer you are. This tells you what type of fight you are more likely to win, then becoming a better ring general involves everything you can do to ensure that this type of fight is the one you're engaged in as much as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another important thing to keep in mind though is your body language. You should be very aware of this because it can either reveal things you don't want people to know or if done right can lie to them. For example, if you're in there against someone trying to push the pace you want to be careful not to give them any cues that you're taking a mental break. If you have a habit of say hopping back, shaking your arms out and taking a second to reset after an exchange, a good pressure guy can sense that and will start pushing you after exchanges to keep you uncomfortable and not let you get in your rhythm. That's him being a good ring general. You being a good ring general is you not resting right in front of him and making him be wary of engaging at all times. It's a lot about unspoken communication between you and the opponent. Not letting him know if you're hurt or tired or uncomfortable while doing everything you can to make him feel those things. A bunch of intangible things come together to make a good ring general.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It can begin outside the ring in both your heads too.Expectations and doubts will stop anyone getting in the zone for a while.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information