Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jose Chelo Gonzalez.. what are his chances against Ricky Burns?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jose Chelo Gonzalez.. what are his chances against Ricky Burns?

Gonzalez can fight but the odds are stacked against him away from home..

Can he KO burns?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jose Chelo Gonzalez.. what are his chances against Ricky Burns?

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post

Can he KO burns?
    Total thrashing by Ricky. Gonzalez has never fought a pulse his entire career.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The judges already have there scorecards filled out in favor of Burns. But I doubt he'll need them this time. Gonzalez record is pretty. But it's all D level fighters and a couple of C level fighters. With the C level fighters being shot C level fighters. Gonzalez is 29 and as good as he's gonna get. Which isn't all that great. He'll add to the current sad state of Puerto Rican boxing by losing. If Burns struggles with him than it says more about Burns than it does about Gonzalez

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After watching some of the Puerto Rican on Youtube, he doesn't look quick or slick, but seems to have some serious KO power, albeit at a low level. I've backed worse 5/1 shots.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen him and I think he looks a decent fighter. People forget that Burns has over-achieved for me. I still can't believe he won 1 world title, let alone 2. If you watched him at Commonwealth title level, you'd have never thought 'that guy will be a world champion someday'. You'd also have put your house that if he ever fought Mitchell, Kevin would beat the snot out of him. He has massively improved since those days, but I don't think he has one skill that makes him a world class fighter. He also punches widely which makes him very open to a straight shot down the middle. I like Ricky, but I wouldn't be stunned if he lost this weekend.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    I've seen him and I think he looks a decent fighter. People forget that Burns has over-achieved for me. I still can't believe he won 1 world title, let alone 2. If you watched him at Commonwealth title level, you'd have never thought 'that guy will be a world champion someday'. You'd also have put your house that if he ever fought Mitchell, Kevin would beat the snot out of him. He has massively improved since those days, but I don't think he has one skill that makes him a world class fighter. He also punches widely which makes him very open to a straight shot down the middle. I like Ricky, but I wouldn't be stunned if he lost this weekend.
    A shot Katsidis showed everybody how overrated Mitchell really was

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    A shot Katsidis showed everybody how overrated Mitchell really was
    I dunno man, it all depends on which Kevin Mitchell shows up. The Murray and Burns fights are classic examples of this. Plus around the time of the Katsidis fight his family was getting into trouble for growing cannibis so it was likely playing on his mind. He should've pulled out really.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mitchell's career went nowhere because of troubles outside the ring. The guy clearly didn't have the heart for boxing. Back when Burns was getting bashed all over the shop by Carl Johanneson, you definitely wouldn't have picked him to be a "world" champ.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched a bit of Gonzalez and he aint bad. Ricky should be too good and i see him winning on points.
    Apart from Martinez Burns has fought no class opponents so I dont know why everyone is so critical of Gonzalezs level of opponent. Katsidis was shot and Mitchell is domestic level.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's kind of a mixed bag, for me. "Chelo" has good power with both hands, but he's also easy to hit. Not too fond of his hand speed, or how he holds his hands low sometimes. But then I like how he pays attention to the body.

His level of competition hasn't been the best, so this is definitely a step up for him. If he does win, I'll give him all the credit in the world instead of just downgrading Burns' effort.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    I watched a bit of Gonzalez and he aint bad. Ricky should be too good and i see him winning on points.
    Apart from Martinez Burns has fought no class opponents so I dont know why everyone is so critical of Gonzalezs level of opponent. Katsidis was shot and Mitchell is domestic level.
    Rocky Martinez is not a world class fighter. Mitchell & a shot Katsidis are better.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Can he KO burns?
    Im picking Burns to win but a thrashing I dont see. Chelo is going to do all he can to keep his perfect record intact and Burns isn't that much better than him.

I gotta give it up to Burns though cuz he's a hair better than what i thought he was. I used to think he was a fringe contender level guy but now he's proved to be a lower B level fighter with alot of luck on his side..

Yep, Ricky Burns is a lower B level fighter with the lucky charm..

Im still waiting for the day he grows a pair and stops running away from Adrien Broner cuz it's embarrasing. He's embarassing all the hardcore Scottish men in his backyard if he keeps this up..

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Burns is the second best lightweight in the world you have to give him credit for what he has achieved, he has been excellent.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can he KO burns?
    Im picking Burns to win but a thrashing I dont see. Chelo is going to do all he can to keep his perfect record intact and Burns isn't that much better than him.

I gotta give it up to Burns though cuz he's a hair better than what i thought he was. I used to think he was a fringe contender level guy but now he's proved to be a lower B level fighter with alot of luck on his side..

Im still waiting for the day he grows a pair and stops running away from Adrien Broner cuz it's embarrasing. He's embarassing all the hardcore Scottish men in his backyard if he keeps this up..
    Bit like you were waiting for him to face Kev, and see what happened!, remember he is
    a descent fighter, it was not luck KO Kev was it, if I recall it was done with a punch not LUCK.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post

Can he KO burns?

Bit like you were waiting for him to face Kev, and see what happened!, remember he is
    a descent fighter, it was not luck KO Kev was it, if I recall it was done with a punch not LUCK.
    I say luck as in Burns was in a fortunate situation when he fought Kev.

It's no mystery that Kev had many outside issues leading up to the fight so that had to affect his training. U gotta acknowledge that. So Burns was lucky to have faced a distracted Kev who hadn't even trained properly.. FACT

U do admit that Burns ducked Broner 3x like a pansy right, Rich? It's a blatant duck with no shame.

And he's also fortunate that his big fights are being held on his turf, even the Vazquez fight was gonna be there. He's lucky that the fight got cancelled cuz Vazquez was going to embarass him..

U see how lucky he is?

Just wake me up when he faces a tip-top shape elite opponent in America....

Thread Information