Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Journeymen with upside!

I know this is kind of an off-beat topic, but do you know of any journeymen with upside?

Guys who have fought the who's who, lost them all, but still have the ability to turn it up once they get their act together?!?! And, showed enough promise to be considered decent opposition.

Give me some names. We're talking about guys with more than 5 losses against good or above average competition.

Two names come to mind: Travis Walker and Dominic Guinn- both heavies, but still good draw's in my book!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Journeymen with upside!

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    I know this is kind of an off-beat topic, but do you know of any journeymen with upside?

Guys who have fought the who's who, lost them all, but still have the ability to turn it up once they get their act together?!?! And, showed enough promise to be considered decent opposition.

Give me some names. We're talking about guys with more than 5 losses against good or above average competition.

Two names come to mind: Travis Walker and Dominic Guinn- both heavies, but still good draw's in my book!
    Terry Carruthers. Current Journeyman, exciting to watch.
    Bert Cooper. (Genuine KO power, 47 just not, was knocking people out in 2010 still.)
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

Bert Cooper. (Genuine KO power, 47 just not, was knocking people out in 2010 still.)

Is Cooper still fighting??

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His last fight was about a year ago today, he did take a few years off from 2002-2010.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His last fight was about a year ago today, he did take a few years off from 2002-2010.
    Think Coops can come back to win a title? lololol....

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think Coops can come back to win a title? lololol....
    Hey it only takes one shot.

But still, no lol.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Julius Francis had a bit of a peak when he beat an undefeated Pele Reid, Danny Williams and also Scott welsh I think before being destroyed by Tyson and being a journeyman again.

Would Danny Williams now count as a journeyman?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fairly recent classic in the category would be Freddie Pendleton; started his career 12-12 and went on to win part of the lightweight title, be a top guy for quite awhile, and finish his career, over the hill and fighting up and coming guys.
    Freddie Pendleton - Boxer

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Julius Francis had a bit of a peak when he beat an undefeated Pele Reid, Danny Williams and also Scott welsh I think before being destroyed by Tyson and being a journeyman again.

Now? Yes he is a JM, as he has lost 7 of his last 8, but he held the British and CommonW titles more than once, plus he fought for a world title.

Hard to define his mixed career.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Yup. Danny is a journeyman. Would we consider Holyfield as a journeyman as well??

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about Sugar Boy Malinga? Fought a who's who of 90's Super Middleweights, mainly losing efforts but managed to pick up wins against Benn (OK may have been done at that point) and Robin Reid, relieving both of their WBC strap. Managed to lose the title between those fights to serial whinger Vincenzo Nardiello.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    How about Sugar Boy Malinga? Fought a who's who of 90's Super Middleweights, mainly losing efforts but managed to pick up wins against Benn (OK may have been done at that point) and Robin Reid, relieving both of their WBC strap. Managed to lose the title between those fights to serial whinger Vincenzo Nardiello.
    Think Malinga can do it? I thought he retired too!!! lolol... ever since the Vince Phillips/Kostya Tyzsu fight, I kinda had my eye out for that odd journeyman.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sherman Williams and Michael Sprott showed they had some upside with spirited efforts against Helenius.

Derrick Findley is another, just fought Curtis Stevens and gave him a tough fight, also gave hell to J'Leon Love the fight before that.

Findley doesn't seem to want to be a journeyman anymore and is trying to rise above it.

Lastly, I'd add Sam Soliman as he just beat Sturm, but tested positive for roids afterwards so idk bout his future
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Monte Barret.........

Quality heavyweight, always gave his best, and upset the odds a few times (Tua?)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Sherman Williams and Michael Sprott showed they had some upside with spirited efforts against Helenius.

Derrick Findley is another, just fought Curtis Stevens and gave him a tough fight, also gave hell to J'Leon Love the fight before that.

Findley doesn't seem to want to be a journeyman anymore and is trying to rise above it.

Lastly, I'd add Sam Soliman as he just beat Sturm, but tested positive for roids afterwards so idk bout his future
    Roids don't end careers anymore. Now, if you have loaded gloves, yea. But not Roids. A ban, but probably only for 12 months, max!

Hidden Content

Thread Information