Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remember that plane crash in the Andes in the 70's?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Remember that plane crash in the Andes in the 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Im way off base then.

Ginger looks better here than she ever did on screen for me though.
    For the life of me...Ginger is sooo much cooler than maryAnn.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Im way off base then.

She is in this pic,Ill give you that.
    But too over the top in the show and all pouty and plucked. Mary Anne el natural.
    Like us as school yard kids would of been fussy we got all day on that island.
    Eat the professor first, you have two women to choose from.
    Last edited by Andre; 05-14-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im way off base then.

She is in this pic,Ill give you that.
    But too over the top in the show and all pouty and plucked. Mary Anne el natural.
    Like us as school yard kids would of been fussy we got all day on that island.
    Eat the professor first, you have two women to choose from.
    I just never did the girl next door thing...she was next door, right? I always liked those SEXY girls, if you know what I mean. That was always my trip, though the one that broke my heart was a "Mary Ann."

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you ever watched Gilligan's Island? I swear, the first time that nitwit screwed up and we didn't get rescued, he'd have vanished.
    Unless I was getting somewhere with Ginger...I think MaryAnn fans are way off base.
    I wouldnt hesitate to eat Ginger, my childhood heartthrob, I used to jerk off watching her when I was 8 yrs old--- dry jerks they were.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Research has shown that men stranded would go out and attempt to find civilisation whereas women would stay put and be rescued. The authorities say you should stay put.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Research has shown that men stranded would go out and attempt to find civilisation whereas women would stay put and be rescued. The authorities say you should stay put.
    Not if put is kaput

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First, a little background. We are First Nations people (North American Indians) from the woodlands of northern Ontario/Quebec border area.
    Some of us have talked about the Andes plane crash, and none of us would have stayed on the snow above the treeline for 72 days. If no rescue came after 5 days, we would have started to walk out. No one would stay more than a week in such a hopeless condition.

They had been flying over the Andes, and knew the Andes ran north-and-south, so they knew to walk east-or-west.
    Nobody ever mentions the distance of the walk, just that they walked for 10 days.
    Obviously, they didn't know how far they'd have to walk, and were lost without proper supplies, and had taken injuries.
    Severe terrain under grueling conditions without proper equipment, but their total walk was 33.5 miles (54 kilometers).
    As the crow flies, it was just 13.5 miles (22 kilometers) to safety, but you have to follow the lay of the land.

If they chose to walk east or west, either way wouldn't be much longer as they crashed almost in the middle.
    When lost, you take a bearing, a landmark far off, and try to go in a straight line as much as you can.

In March, my 44 year old brother said why did these guys take 10 days to walk 33.5 miles, these Indians up north are doing 26 miles or more in a single day, and they do it day after day after day. He was talking about The Journey of Nishiyuu.

Lately in Canada, First Nations from many, many tribes have been doing long-distance walks to bring awareness to several issues which I don't want to get into here; I just want to talk distance and time.
    The Journey of Nishiyuu began Jan 16, 2013 in Hudson's Bay, and 7 Cree youth walked almost a thousand miles (1600 km) to Parliament Hill in Ottawa, arriving March 25 with a few thousand First Nations people there to greet them. When they left Hudson's Bay in Jan during the coldest time of the year, they were having 58 below Fahrenheit (-50 Celsius) when they started walking on snowshoes, crossing frozen lakes while towing toboggans.

There are some Mi'kmaq people left Listuguj near the east coast on May 1, 2013, on the way to Parliament Hill. They're already at trois rivieres, that's 386 miles (622 km) in 15 days.

They shoot for about 25 miles per day(40 km), but sometimes they do 37 miles (60 km) or even a bit more.

Youth 4 Lakes walkers just arrived on Parliament Hill from Winnepeg a few days ago, Mon, May 13.
    They departed March 28, 2013, and they covered 1300 miles (2100 km).

Last Summer, Leo Baskatawang, a veteran of the Iraq War, walked from Vancouver, British Columbia to Parliament Hill while dragging a copy of the Indian Act chained to his body. About 2734 miles (4400 km) in 135 days. Left April 23, 2012, arrived Sept 4, 2012.

EDIT: If you grow up rural, spent time in the bush and on the lakes, and have some fishing and hunting skills, obviously those bush skills are an advantage...
    Last edited by bradlee180; 05-16-2013 at 06:47 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im way off base then.

Never understood why they always had them wear some much clothing.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    First, a little background. We are First Nations people (North American Indians) from the woodlands of northern Ontario/Quebec border area.
    Some of us have talked about the Andes plane crash, and none of us would have stayed on the snow above the treeline for 72 days. If no rescue came after 5 days, we would have started to walk out. No one would stay more than a week in such a hopeless condition.

They had been flying over the Andes, and knew the Andes ran north-and-south, so they knew to walk east-or-west.
    Nobody ever mentions the distance of the walk, just that they walked for 10 days.
    Obviously, they didn't know how far they'd have to walk, and were lost without proper supplies, and had taken injuries.
    Severe terrain under grueling conditions without proper equipment, but their total walk was 33.5 miles (54 kilometers).
    As the crow flies, it was just 13.5 miles (22 kilometers) to safety, but you have to follow the lay of the land.

If they chose to walk east or west, either way wouldn't be much longer as they crashed almost in the middle.
    When lost, you take a bearing, a landmark far off, and try to go in a straight line as much as you can.

In March, my 44 year old brother said why did these guys take 10 days to walk 33.5 miles, these Indians up north are doing 26 miles or more in a single day, and they do it day after day after day. He was talking about The Journey of Nishiyuu.

Lately in Canada, First Nations from many, many tribes have been doing long-distance walks to bring awareness to several issues which I don't want to get into here; I just want to talk distance and time.
    The Journey of Nishiyuu began Jan 16, 2013 in Hudson's Bay, and 7 Cree youth walked almost a thousand miles (1600 km) to Parliament Hill in Ottawa, arriving March 25 with a few thousand First Nations people there to greet them. When they left Hudson's Bay in Jan during the coldest time of the year, they were having 58 below Fahrenheit (-50 Celsius) when they started walking on snowshoes, crossing frozen lakes while towing toboggans.

There are some Mi'kmaq people left Listuguj near the east coast on May 1, 2013, on the way to Parliament Hill. They're already at trois rivieres, that's 386 miles (622 km) in 15 days.

They shoot for about 25 miles per day(40 km), but sometimes they do 37 miles (60 km) or even a bit more.

Youth 4 Lakes walkers just arrived on Parliament Hill from Winnepeg a few days ago, Mon, May 13.
    They departed March 28, 2013, and they covered 1300 miles (2100 km).

Last Summer, Leo Baskatawang, a veteran of the Iraq War, walked from Vancouver, British Columbia to Parliament Hill while dragging a copy of the Indian Act chained to his body. About 2734 miles (4400 km) in 135 days. Left April 23, 2012, arrived Sept 4, 2012.

EDIT: If you grow up rural, spent time in the bush and on the lakes, and have some fishing and hunting skills, obviously those bush skills are an advantage...
    You would have to find out which mountains stood in their way and see if they were climbable without equipment if not they had to go around all the steep ones.

They had nothing,no snow shoes, so would of been sinking up to their thighs in snow if they took the real low valleys around mountains. The worlds best climbers have died from falls in some mountains in that area but Im not sure what they faced,it would be interesting to see pics of the route.

Theres a big difference between times and possibility with terrain and equipment these fellows didnt even have snow shoes, Im not sure but chances are crampons,ice picks and ropes may of suited them better.

So I have to ask: did your friends and yourself come to the conclusion that you would eat the dead if it came to it? Or was that part of the conversation avoided in that you'd all make it out of there earlier leaving the wounded?
    Last edited by Andre; 05-16-2013 at 11:16 PM.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

She looked even better with her hair down.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes we would eat the dead under the most dire survival situation.
    Horrific act, but yes we would.

During the North American fur trade wars, there's an island on Georgian Bay where survival meant the people ate the dead during the entire Winter. The Huron Nation and the Anishinabe Nations aligned with the French, and the Iroquois Nations aligned with the Dutch and the British.
    About 10 thousand Hurons and some jesuits took refuge from the Iroquois on Christian Island during the winter in Georgian Bay.
    The main bulk of the island is about 6 by 7 km maybe (3.7 by 4.3 miles), but there's a few peninsulas too. About 4100 Ha (10 131 acres).
    At first they buried the dead, but as supplies ran out, burials stopped and they'd eat that person instead. Later, graves were opened to eat them too. By early Summer when they escaped the island to head for Quebec, only about 300 remained.

I ate black bear on a single occasion, but would not again except in a survival situation.
    When a bear's skinned out, with his paws and head removed, it looks so much like a man that I find it odd how my fellow Anishinabek at Kitcisakik (Grand Lake Victoria) love to eat bear.
    Eating bear was kind of off-limits to the Anishinabe of Brennan Lake, Hunter's Point, Wolf Lake, Kipawa, Timiskaming where I'm from.
    Part of that was because a bear will eat anything, including a human if he drowned and washed up on the shore.

My former sister-in-law, Gladys Ash from Mishkeegogamang was butchering a white tail deer that my brother shot. I asked her about dressing out a man like a deer in a dire survival situation, and she grasped my arm and began demonstrating how she would go about properly butchering a man.

The hardest part when turned around in the bush is keeping your head. There's a sense of panic sets in quick when you realize you're turned around and on your own, no safety net, what if something goes wrong, and that you've only yourself to rely on, and only yourself to blame for being in the current situation. You may have to sleep out. Very harrowing.
    If your pals are anywhere near, like doing linecutting, stay put, they'll find you.
    Even with similar levels of experience, some people are just psychologically tougher with a will to survive. I don't go deep unless with a group. I'm just in my mid-40s, but I can't trust my own body any longer. Very disheartening to know your backpain or breathing difficulties could put you in jeopardy in the bush. In any case, whenever I go hiking in the bush, I always carry matches, firesteel, compass, a 19 inch ax, sheath knife, swiss army knife, gloves, some jerky, a few snickers or coffee crisp bars, bandanna, some twine, snare wire, water bottle, tobacco pouch, small sharpening stone, pencil, paper. Most of it are small items that fit in the two upper pockets of my jean jacket.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool.
    A couple of condoms are handy for water carrying, storage etc.A sheet of clear plastic very handy.
    Specially out here in the desert,you dig a hole throw branches in it cover it with the sheet, put a stone in the middle and a can under it and you got water from the leaves that drips into the can off the under side of the sheet directly under the stone. Keeps the cold /wet off you of a night too. You can soak the dew up in your clothes from bushes and wring them out first thing in the morning too.Magnifying glass and a small compact mirror.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool.
    A couple of condoms are handy for water carrying, storage etc.A sheet of clear plastic very handy.
    Specially out here in the desert,you dig a hole throw branches in it cover it with the sheet, put a stone in the middle and a can under it and you got water from the leaves that drips into the can off the under side of the sheet directly under the stone. Keeps the cold /wet off you of a night too. You can soak the dew up in your clothes from bushes and wring them out first thing in the morning too.Magnifying glass and a small compact mirror.
    Cutmemick always carries a small compact mirror it's essential. If he ever gets lost in the desert he wants to make sure he has correctly applied his lip gloss before he's rescued.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Cool.
    Cutmemick always carries a small compact mirror it's essential. If he ever gets lost in the desert he wants to make sure he has correctly applied his lip gloss before he's rescued.
    Pure survivalist, taught Killer sheep a thing or two.

I can explain it.

Thread Information