Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe v Ward

Anyone reckon this may happen? Calzaghe keeps saying hed beat Ward. Maybe a promoter might see t as an opportunity for a big event. If Ward does rematch the winner of Froch Kessler and is left with no oppoment, Calzaghe may well be tempted to come out of retirement. He said in that gloves are off thing that he is bored.

Also, just watching Hopkins against him to see how Calzaghe deals with an awkward spoiler and heard this! Go to 34.30 Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins HD - YouTube

Where do they get their info

Calzaghe beat Hopkins better than really anyone has. Even had him crawling round looking for rest time and the way Ward tires and looks vulnerable in the last few rounds of his fights, even against Froch. With Joes workrate thats going to happen much sooner in the fight. Could Calzaghe be effective after a few years out and at the age he is now? Maybe his hands have healed?

Joe Calzaghe: A Good Fight, But I'd Beat Andre Ward! - Boxing News

Also, here is the gloves are off, where he said it

YouTube

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe v Ward

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Anyone reckon this may happen? Calzaghe keeps saying hed beat Ward. Maybe a promoter might see t as an opportunity for a big event. If Ward does rematch the winner of Froch Kessler and is left with no oppoment, Calzaghe may well be tempted to come out of retirement. He said in that gloves are off thing that he is bored.

Also, just watching Hopkins against him to see how Calzaghe deals with an awkward spoiler and heard this! Go to 34.30 Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins HD - YouTube

Calzaghe beat Hopkins better than really anyone has. Even had him crawling round looking for rest time and the way Ward tires and looks vulnerable in the last few rounds of his fights, even against Froch. With Joes workrate thats going to happen much sooner in the fight. Could Calzaghe be effective after a few years out and at the age he is now? Maybe his hands have healed?

YouTube
    Do I think it should happen? No!
    Do I think it will? It's boxing one never quite knows.

Who would win? Prime Calzaghe take it hands down, he handled every spoiler he fought, David Starrie, Hopkins, Bika, Salem and he was faster than Ward is, plus you can't fight on the back foot against Calzaghe because he never tires and the retreating boxer always did tire.

Could he be effective now? No. His stamina will be shot plus he wasn't a huge puncher in his prime so he won't have the power now to stop it early.

His hands would be more brittle now than before.

Calzaghe has his legacy to lose, a very good legacy at that, while Ward isn't really even liked, plus I think ward will lose soon enough, I think Hopkins could cause him problems because he spoils just as much.

Good thread by the way.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 05-17-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

YouTube

Who would win? Prime Calzaghe take it hands down, he handled every spoiler he fought, David Starrie, Hopkins, Bika, Salem and he was faster than Ward is, plus you can't fight on the back foot against Calzaghe because he never tires and the retreating boxer always did tire.

Could he be effective now? No. His stamina will be shot plus he wasn't a huge puncher in his prime so he won't have the power now to stop it early.

Calzaghe has his legacy to lose, a very good legacy at that, while Ward isn't really even liked, plus I think ward will lose soon enough, I think Hopkins could cause him problems because he spoils just as much.

Good thread by the way.
    I think Joe could still do something. He could still yet have his career defining fight, you never know. Over the years people have retired and come out after years and beaten top men, like Leonard over Hagler.

Joe looks to still be in good shape and says he is still in the gym. His style in his last few years was geared towards workrate. He was a puncher. Ask Eubank, or rather search what he said about Joes power. Joe hits hard enough to stop Hopkins from being effective. Something Pavlik, Pascal and Cloud couldnt do.

I would still love to see it as it would be very intriguing. Could Joe come back and still be the same, could he give Ward the trouble he gave Hopkins. I believe he could as he was never a stylistic boxer, he just out worked you and caught you alot. Even if he did lose, it wouldnt harm his legacy. Maybe his ego because of that undefeated record.

Ward would take it in a heartbeat. It would spring board him to mainstream recognition because lets be honest. Who knows who he is other than us that waste our lives in boxing forums?

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

YouTube

Good thread by the way.
    I think Joe could still do something. He could still yet have his career defining fight, you never know. Over the years people have retired and come out after years and beaten top men, like Leonard over Hagler.

Joe looks to still be in good shape and says he is still in the gym. His style in his last few years was geared towards workrate. He was a puncher. Ask Eubank, or rather search what he said about Joes power. Joe hits hard enough to stop Hopkins from being effective. Something Pavlik, Pascal and Cloud couldnt do.

I would still love to see it as it would be very intriguing. Could Joe come back and still be the same, could he give Ward the trouble he gave Hopkins. I believe he could as he was never a stylistic boxer, he just out worked you and caught you alot. Even if he did lose, it wouldnt harm his legacy. Maybe his ego because of that undefeated record.

Ward would take it in a heartbeat. It would spring board him to mainstream recognition because lets be honest. Who knows who he is other than us that waste our lives in boxing forums?
    Some fighters come back for the wrong reasons, look what happened to Hatton a shadow of his former self,! Joe has nothing to prove,has he a 2 weight World Champ undefeated what more
    could you want out of a fighter.! Ward is out of the same dirty fighting school, as Hopkins both
    a stinkers to watch,! Leave well alone stay retired, Joe does not need Ward or any other fighter.
    I have no doubt he would have beat Ward, does he need the money NO.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward would have been a tough opponent for Calzaghe when he was in his pomp let alone now. A 41-year-old that hasn't fought for 5 years against a 28-year-old in his prime.

Ward would KO him.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt Ward would stop Calzaghe. He couldnt put a dent in Allan Green or Edison Miranda.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt Ward would stop Calzaghe. He couldnt put a dent in Allan Green or Edison Miranda.
    It's not realistic to think Calzaghe, who was already past his best when he retired, could comeback with an engine and the timing to compete with a fighter as good as Ward (regardless of what you think of him @ross, which is clearly not high).

Leonard was 30 when he came back against Hagler. When he came back again 10 years later, at 40, he was embarrassed by Hector Camacho.

Froch would've never beat a prime (active) Calzaghe in a million years - but I'd back him to KO Calzaghe as well now.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    It's not realistic to think Calzaghe, who was already past his best when he retired, could comeback with an engine and the timing to compete with a fighter as good as Ward (regardless of what you think of him @ross, which is clearly not high).

Leonard was 30 when he came back against Hagler. When he came back again 10 years later, at 40, he was embarrassed by Hector Camacho.

Froch would've never beat a prime (active) Calzaghe in a million years - but I'd back him to KO Calzaghe as well now.
    Already past his best when he retired?

He retired 12 months after one of the best performaces of his career against a unified, undefeated, younger fighter. The same fighter went on to give Froch his first loss. Thats how good Calzaghe still was at that point in his career and his stamina was phenomenal for someone his age with over 1000 punches thrown. He also landed 285 compared to Frochs 98! Against Hopkins he landed 232 punches compared to Dawsons 151 (and more than any ther fighter Hopkins had faced before and since) The man is just a "fighting machine" as Steward called him during the Kessler fight

Its a shame there are no compubox stats for Calzaghe against Bika because id be interested to see a comparison between Ward and Calzaghe.

Calzaghe won his fights by standing toe to toe and fighting none stop. Not by trying to disturb his opponents rythm by holding, elbowing and headbutting like Hopkins and Ward.
    Last edited by ross; 05-17-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Already past his best when he retired?

He retired 12 months after one of the best performaces of his career against a unified, undefeated, younger fighter. The same fighter went on to give Froch his first loss. Thats how good Calzaghe still was at that point in his career and his stamina was phenomenal for someone his age with over 1000 punches thrown. He also landed 285 compared to Frochs 98! Against Hopkins he landed 232 punches compared to Dawsons 151 (and more than any ther fighter Hopkins had faced before and since) The man is just a "fighting machine" as Steward called him during the Kessler fight

Its a shame there are no compubox stats for Calzaghe against Bika because id be interested to see a comparison between Ward and Calzaghe.

Calzaghe won his fights by standing toe to toe and fighting none stop. Not by trying to disturb his opponents rythm by holding, elbowing and headbutting like Hopkins and Ward.
    Jesus, i'm sure you're throwing stats/points at me I made years ago....

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You'll like this one @ross, it's about Hopkins not being able to hit Calzaghe, I posted it a few years ago.

Hopkins "clean effective punching" is exaggerated by his lack of success in the fight.

Look at these very revealing statistics from Hopkins last eight fights. Apart from the fact that Calzaghe hit Hopkins MORE times than any other fighter in history (I know, all those punches don't count ), the stats highlight that Hopkins had more trouble effectively hitting Calzaghe than any other fighter he faced.

Hopkins - 130/317, (35%) Taylor - 124 of 391, (32%)
    Hopkins - 133/417, (32%) Tarver - 78/437, (18%)
    Hopkins - 152/640, (24%) Wright - 167/618 (27%)
    Hopkins - 127/468, (27%) Calzaghe - 232/707 (33%)
    Hopkins - 172/530, (32% ) Pavlik - 108/463 (23%)
    Hopkins - 205/497 (41%) Ornelas - 113/508 (22%)
    Hopkins - 185/526 (35%) Jones - 82/274 (30%)
    Hopkins - 171/445 (38%) Pascal - 105/353 (29%)

Cazlaghe simply stopped Hopkins game. Which highlights why the MAJORITY saw Calzaghe win the fight.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You'll like this one @ross, it's about Hopkins not being able to hit Calzaghe, I posted it a few years ago.

Hopkins "clean effective punching" is exaggerated by his lack of success in the fight.

Look at these very revealing statistics from Hopkins last eight fights. Apart from the fact that Calzaghe hit Hopkins MORE times than any other fighter in history (I know, all those punches don't count ), the stats highlight that Hopkins had more trouble effectively hitting Calzaghe than any other fighter he faced.

Hopkins - 130/317, (35%) Taylor - 124 of 391, (32%)
    Hopkins - 133/417, (32%) Tarver - 78/437, (18%)
    Hopkins - 152/640, (24%) Wright - 167/618 (27%)
    Hopkins - 127/468, (27%) Calzaghe - 232/707 (33%)
    Hopkins - 172/530, (32% ) Pavlik - 108/463 (23%)
    Hopkins - 205/497 (41%) Ornelas - 113/508 (22%)
    Hopkins - 185/526 (35%) Jones - 82/274 (30%)
    Hopkins - 171/445 (38%) Pascal - 105/353 (29%)

Cazlaghe simply stopped Hopkins game. Which highlights why the MAJORITY saw Calzaghe win the fight.
    Well there you go then. Calzaghe didnt really get much wear and tear during his career. In fact the only reucurring njury he got was his hands because he landed so many punches

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe is a smart guy and will stay retired, I don't think he's pushing for a fight with anyone. People ask questions and Joe answers them honestly.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Calzaghe is a smart guy and will stay retired, I don't think he's pushing for a fight with anyone. People ask questions and Joe answers them honestly.
    Correct Joe had very bad hand trouble, some people cut others have bad hands etc,! Lloyd Honeygan
    also had a lot of hand trouble, Floyd Havard again hand trouble, and many more.!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Correct Joe had very bad hand trouble, some people cut others have bad hands etc,! Lloyd Honeygan
    also had a lot of hand trouble, Floyd Havard again hand trouble, and many more.!
    Im not sure but, I think with the hand, rest and it will be fine. Unless he has osteoporosis, I dont think his bones are crumbling. He did fight fairly regularly and was always training, so they never got chance to heal. Also, glucosamine and condrotin can regenerate cartilage so I wouldnt mind betting that his hands are actually now fine.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward needs to keep building his legacy. Fight two more times this year and forget about calzaghe.

Calzaghe had his time and was a real shame he never gave rematches in close fights but at the end of the day he is a surperb boxer and deserves to left alone.

Cant really say calzaghe unified the light heavy divison but he was one of the greats of the supermiddleweight divison if not the best.

Hopkins fight looked close but he was never going to win on decision over that white boy comment.

Thread Information