Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lead uppercut

My question is concerning the usefulness of the lead uppercut.....reak question is,is it really something to focus on to improve and add to my game. I feel comfortable throwing all other punches but on a common basis I cant land my lead uppercut in sparring, I actually feel more vulnerable to a counter, also feels like there's no REAL benefit in throwing it except to create vulnerability in the opponents head (which is important).
    Especially for me as a southpaw I find even more reasons not to throw it.....BUT the point of this thread is not to say the lead hand uppercut isnt useful, not at all.....just questions regarding it

1 - what can I do to improve this, as a setup for it or using it to set something else up? as a southpaw fighting most orthodox, would the change in stance effect my ability to pull it off?

2 - Ive seen and heard from many trainers different ways to throw it, some say lean over the lead leg and turn it up, others say actually throw it right from where you are pulling your weight back to the rear leg? Thoughts on either?

3 - can anyone show me a good fighter utilizing this?

My trainer is away for the next 2 days at other gyms sparring getting one of his fighters ready for an upcoming bout and for sure this will be the first question I ask when I see him next

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lead uppercut

If, by lead uppercut, you mean just throwing an uppercut at an opponent, then it probably is not advisable. It is a punch that opens you up, especially if your distance is not right, etc...
    As the first punch off a slip, etc...as a counter, it can be very effective. I can't think, off hand, of southpaw fighters using this much, but I can think of two fights where orthodox fighters used left (which is what I guess you meant by 'lead'-lead hand?) uppercuts against southpaws.
    The first is Bryant "honeyboy' paden vs tracy spann- I don't have time to find it at the moment. But Paden enjoys success with a sneaky lead left uppercut, until the 4th round when Spann nearly kills him with a right hook. One thing that happens when you lead with that punch.
    The second is probably more what you were looking for, and, as usual, focuses on Ricardo Lopez

Lopez finishes the fight with a beautiful left uppercut in the 8th round. He is tall for his weight; if I recall, you are as well? Watch what he does, then do it backwards.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 'lead uppercut' from any sort of mid range distance is not a very smart move.
    To do that would be asking for a clocking as you open while in his range and are too open the whole way through the action.

As a counter under one of his shots on your first move maybe a possibility, like if you were fast enough to allow him to dive right in and deal with his attack off your rear hand while moving out to his side and uppercut with your lead, cause you could load it on your move and land it on your landing in closer and out to the side of his attack, that takes some balls and some practice.
    Or maybe as a second shot as you move in after blasting his arm out the way or making him react to one side; with a low hook uppercut combo off the same side as you move in on him could be another part of a fist move.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember my favorite lead uppercut when Marciano walloped Ezzard Charles in the 6th round of their 1st fight I believe with a wicked lead uppercut, out of the blue as they moved towards each other. A beautiful shot to watch. Everyone seemed surprised :

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lucian Bute (a southpaw) uses the lead right uppercut to the body.

It's very effective.

As far as head goes, I'm a southpaw with a short 68" reach, especially in a light heavy / cruiser division where I'm weighed, and I would never use it as a lead.

I find uppercuts are good for counter punching, which I don't do, as you can land very powerful one punch knockout counters as you have the time and vulnerability of the opponent to help land it good.

I use it in a pressure sense, I put my head on the opponents chest and throw short hooks and uppercuts, that don't instantly knockout but wear the opponent down in time.

I would never lead with an uppercut, unless my opponent has 0 knockouts on his record.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 05-21-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Thread Information