Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default PUNCH STATS - Froch-Kessler/HBO/SKY

I watched the Sky and HBO version of the fight (as a side note - HBO, who I normally quite enjoy, were shit on this fight, it's clearly not smart to employ a fighters active rival to comment, and when fighters start blasting eachother going toe-to-toe it's time to stop waffling about the inane story you were telling and start calling the action).

Anyway - just to highlight how badly flawed punch stats are, and also answer why judges maybe see things so different.

The Sky counters had Froch throwing 998 punches, Kessler 567

The HBO counters had Froch throwing 1,034, Kessler 497

If the guys specifically counting punches ringside can't agree on what is a punch then maybe it's understandable judges, depending on their viewpoint, can interpret punches landing/missing differently?

Pensamientos?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I watched the Sky and HBO version of the fight (as a side note - HBO, who I normally quite enjoy, were shit on this fight, it's clearly not smart to employ a fighters active rival to comment, and when fighters start blasting eachother going toe-to-toe it's time to stop waffling about the inane story you were telling and start calling the action).

Anyway - just to highlight how badly flawed punch stats are, and also answer why judges maybe see things so different.

The Sky counters had Froch throwing 998 punches, Kessler 567

The HBO counters had Froch throwing 1,034, Kessler 497

If the guys specifically counting punches ringside can't agree on what is a punch then maybe it's understandable judges, depending on their viewpoint, can interpret punches landing/missing differently?

Pensamientos?
    I originally watched the sky broadcast at a friends as we streamed it, and I found the commentary quite good and unbiased. I watched the hbo replay the following day and the crew was just shit on this fight, and yeah punchstats are flawed...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: PUNCH STATS - Froch-Kessler/HBO/SKY

I watched it the other way around. I heard Ward got booed to fuck when introduced which obviously put him on a downer which probably infected the other two, because i've seen them get far more excited over far less entertaining fights.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Either way, Froch threw a shit load of punches. Didn't realise it was quite so many. This is why point scoring based on punches landed would never work.

Does anyone know the ppv sales?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lampley looked like he was ready to cry standing at ringside with Ward after the fight. He brought up the punch stats and asked Ward how Kessler could land 55% of his power shots and still lose the fight as if compubox is valid. Not sure why they even have it for. It serves no purpose. To Wards credit he ignored the useless stats and told Lapdog that Froch clearly won the fight.

I don’t think you need to count every punch in order to determine who wins based on the 10 point must. And for those who attempt to do it on a clicker, well they end up missing the fight.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch landed a lot of jabs, barely any rights. No way he threw over 1000 punches in this fight though. There were again, long periods where he let Kessler work.

Joe Calzaghe used to throw that many punches in a fight and when you watched it you could believe it because he did never stop.

People in here still say that Calzaghe lost to Hopkins because Hopkins landed the better cleaner shots. I dont agree but in this fight Frochs work rate and punch count all of a sudden is more important than Kesslers cleaner, sharper, harder, combinations.

Im not saying Kessler wan, I thought it was a draw but 118 to 110 was ridiculous and if you hadnt watched the fight youd never believe it was a very close fight that Kessler got himself back in to when looking to be both totally out of it scoring wise and also as if he may be getting stopped in one of the rounds.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Punch stats are for bean counters. HBO puts way too much stock in that and I look forward to the day when they lose that Punch test looking dummy graph they use afterwards. I think its much more a window dressing for the network barkers than a effective way to determine the actual winner. Clean effective impactive punches.

Thread Information