Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holy F*ck! Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez is signed and sealed for Sept 14th!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Holy F*ck! Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez is signed and sealed for Sept 14th

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I'm not sure Sulaiman is going to turn down the sanctioning fee for a fight this size. Anybody know if/what the penalty per pound is if the ginger comes in over 152?

I think we're going to see another Floyd masterclass here.
    Canelo and his people will throw dollars at it and pull a Mayweather, shoes on the other foot. Kind of why I can't see the belt(s) really being at risk on scale and some serious politicking from wbc and others. I do think they'll strip Canelo though.
    You do all realise that the light middle class is ANY WEIGHT between 147 and 154? As long as they dont weigh over 154 it will be for the titles...

They could both weigh in at 148lb and it still be for the title
    Not if its a contracted 152 limit eh :x . I don't think Canelo will make weight, the wbc will be stripped shortly regardless.
    They could contract at any weight in the limit, if its in the limit the title is still on the line. You dont have to weigh in at 154 on the dot for it to be a valid light middle title fight.
    I understand that completely, but if its a "catchweight" capped at 152...likewise Canelo cannot exceed 152...correct?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Floyd should have made it 150.
    But they're fighting for the 154 belts shouldn't behave made it 154?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Holy F*ck! Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez is signed and sealed for Sept 14th

I'm not sure Sulaiman is going to turn down the sanctioning fee for a fight this size. Anybody know if/what the penalty per pound is if the ginger comes in over 152?

Canelo and his people will throw dollars at it and pull a Mayweather, shoes on the other foot. Kind of why I can't see the belt(s) really being at risk on scale and some serious politicking from wbc and others. I do think they'll strip Canelo though.
    You do all realise that the light middle class is ANY WEIGHT between 147 and 154? As long as they dont weigh over 154 it will be for the titles...

Not if its a contracted 152 limit eh :x . I don't think Canelo will make weight, the wbc will be stripped shortly regardless.
    They could contract at any weight in the limit, if its in the limit the title is still on the line. You dont have to weigh in at 154 on the dot for it to be a valid light middle title fight.
    I understand that completely, but if its a "catchweight" capped at 152...likewise Canelo cannot exceed 152...correct?
    No one is putting a gun to Alvarez head and forcing him to defend against Mayweather its his choice. He is a light middle so should be able to fight from 148 up. Otherwise he's a middle and needs to move up.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No one is putting a gun to Alvarez head and forcing him to defend against Mayweather its his choice. He is a light middle so should be able to fight from 148 up. Otherwise he's a middle and needs to move up.
    If he's a light middleweight, he just needs to make 154. He doesn't need to be able to make 148. Who in their right mind turns down a fight with Mayweather for two pounds? Who in their right mind turns down Pacquiao for two pounds (Cotto)? What's the harm in losing to him? Canelo could still go to dominate the light middleweight division, and have a stellar career. Cotto lost to Pacquiao and eventually got a Floyd Mayweather fight. It's a win-win for Canelo.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad to hear it. Canelo/Cotto would have been an absolute joke fight and Floyd really doesn't have anyone interesting to fight at his weight.

If Canelo can pull off a victory, it would be a HUGE "passing of the torch" moment in boxing IMO.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do we all reckon this will do in PPV sales? I'd put the over/under at about 1.6 million.
    Well it's not a coincidence that Floyd's last PPV was "terrible" and now he's in with a serious Mexican star on Mexican Independence Day weekend. This will be big.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    What do we all reckon this will do in PPV sales? I'd put the over/under at about 1.6 million.
    Well it's not a coincidence that Floyd's last PPV was "terrible" and now he's in with a serious Mexican star on Mexican Independence Day weekend. This will be big.
    Wonder how much say the network had in Floyd taking the fight? You'd have to think that Showtime couldn't go on making a loss (if they actually were) due to Floyd taking lower profile fights like Guerrero. Imagine the PPV for Floyd vs Alexander next, or Bradley. Ha....

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weight-wise, I don't see what the big deal is with Canelo weighing in at 152. Unless there is a viable source that directly confirms that he is tight at the weight, I'd say he seems quite fine.

For example, appearance wise, him and Mosley were the same size (Mosley and Mayweather were also the same size!) and Trout was far from dwarfed by Canelo, in fact I'd say Trout was bigger.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

I agree it will be another Floyd masterclass which will probably be blown out of proportion because of the hype that surrounds Canelo

If canelo doesnt make weight the fine should be whatever floyd was penalised for not bothering vs marquez. The Cw ruins this fight for me cuz it gives canelo an excuse. If your going to fight a champion beat them at their weight. Dont fight oscar and cotto at 154 cuz they are washed up but then demand a CW against a guy more dangerous
    I agree it should have been at 154 although Alvarez was 153.5 for his last fight. It's not going to kill him to make 152.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he does there'll still be two of the 26 WBA 154 belts to fight for.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Apparently it only did 850-900K buys and Showtime lost $12 million.

Canelo Alvarez Could Be Floyd Mayweather's Biggest Payday Ever - Forbes

I didn't know Floyd-Cotto did 1.5 million buys. That moves the over/under up to about 1.8/1.9 for me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't know Floyd-Cotto did 1.5 million buys. That moves the over/under up to about 1.8/1.9 for me.
    From what I've read, illegal streams have decreased the number of ppv buys. So, it is unlikely it breaks the Oscar-Floyd record.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you have a link for that? I read it exceeded 1 million ppv buys.

Showtime boss: Mayweather fight exceeds 1M PPV buys

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post

Do you have a link for that? I read it exceeded 1 million ppv buys.

Showtime boss: Mayweather fight exceeds 1M PPV buys

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I will say shit about it. At 152? What a typical Mayweather joke. Canelo will be shot before he starts.
    I am an Alvarez fan but if a 22 yr old young man is that affected by 2 pounds against a 36 yr old who is naturally 5 pounds lighter then maybe he should make the 4 pound jump to middleweight himself. It is stupid to not be 154 but the idea that Saul will be shot at the weight is ridiculous. I don't think Mayweather was ever as worried about meeting him as has been made out and will relish the opportunity to enhance his legacy. I can't knock him on this one and though Alvarez does have a punchers chance he will struggle against such a slick craftsmen. It's a great fight. Now is the time to do it before age slows Floyd's legs.
    I agree with Gandalf. Alvarez struggles to make 154 and stamina is poor due to this. Losing another 2 pounds will have a big effect and will really struggle late on in this fight.
    Huh. First of all Floyd asked for a cut in between and asked for150.5 and that was refused. It was part of his game. He's never asked for a catch in his life. Fact is, it was Alvarez that offered 152. And where did this weakening thing all of a sudden come up? The notion that 2 pounds to a man that will weigh close to 175 24 hours later being weakened is patently absurd. Physiology 101.
    I'm an in shape 170 pounder and I can go to bed at 170 wake up for a dump and a piss and be 168 the following morning.If Alvarez only weighed 162 or something at fight time it might have an effect but this is just straw grabbing by Floyd detractors. And to be honest quite lame.

Thread Information