Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Holy F*ck! Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez is signed and sealed for Sept 14th!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Holy F*ck! Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez is signed and sealed for Sept 14th

Here's a good point I read somewhere. It's actually a compliment to Canelo. Floyd didn't make Cotto or De La Hoya come in at a catch weight. Clearly, he viewed Canelo differently. Now, it's hypocritical in that he bashed Pacquiao for having Cotto come in two pounds under welterweight, but hey, I view that as Floyd just bashing Manny, which he does all the time, and you have to take with a grain of salt.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Holy F*ck! Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez is signed and sealed for Sept 14th

Saul can win this he has height, reach, youth, weight and hunger. This is the proverbial handing the torch from one great to another as Floyd took from ODH who took from JCC ect. This is the fight of the year and i am excited already. Canelo has effective punches and good speed.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Saul can win this he has height, reach, youth, weight and hunger. This is the proverbial handing the torch from one great to another as Floyd took from ODH who took from JCC ect. This is the fight of the year and i am excited already. Canelo has effective punches and good speed.
    Shame he only fights one minute of every round.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Here's a good point I read somewhere. It's actually a compliment to Canelo. Floyd didn't make Cotto or De La Hoya come in at a catch weight. Clearly, he viewed Canelo differently. Now, it's hypocritical in that he bashed Pacquiao for having Cotto come in two pounds under welterweight, but hey, I view that as Floyd just bashing Manny, which he does all the time, and you have to take with a grain of salt.
    But Floyd did not make Alvarez do it either my friend. The 12 to 15 million dollar payday for Alvarez did. They are the ones by all the reports I've seen so far that countered with 152. Floyd probably asked for 150.5 because of the massive weigh disparity and his typical game playing.

And this is where people get it wrong. Not all catch weights are equal in physical taxation. The comparison or attempts to do so between Manny asking for one with Cotto or Oscar and the one offered by Alvarez are apples and oranges. It will simply not have any effect on a guy that weighs close to lightheavyweight on fight night. He will probably rehydrate to the exact same weight he does when its 154. Cotto was not a big welter let alone a big jr. middle so when the catch weight was forced upon him that 2 pounds had a much greater effect. Oscar had not made welter in close to a decade.

Grant it either way Floyd accepted and should take a little flack but its simply not any kind of debilitating factor given the rehydration rate of Alvarez.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

here's why I'm irked, its a title fight and its not at the title weight, and its two god damn pounds that both clearly made before in their previous endeavors at 154 pound division, so why the hell would it happen at 2 pounds south of the weight class?

Its damn annoying.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow, look at this, this fight doesn't happen until September and we have four pages devoted to the subject. It looks like a lot of us think Mayweather will win but I just can't see this one being a boring Floyd fight. Remember how much Canelo improved his defense in his last fight? He is already well in the know of every accurate strength and weakness that has been brought up here. He will not be made a fool of during the fight. Remember The Ghost throwing punches at an area Floyd had left a second before. I really think if Canelo can win this one if he can break through and works the body he can take it.
    Obviously it has a lot of us with our panties in a knot.
    Showtime is replaying the Canelo v Lopez tonight. I like Lopez but man that fight was out of whack. Talk about being out classed. I was so looking forward to Canelo fighting Ortiz but the rest his history. Still it will give me good chance to review Canelo

It is going to be cool to see how many pages generates.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post
    here's why I'm irked, its a title fight and its not at the title weight, and its two god damn pounds that both clearly made before in their previous endeavors at 154 pound division, so why the hell would it happen at 2 pounds south of the weight class?

Its damn annoying.

You are absolutely right. Floyd could have just agreed to fight him at 154 after all is said and done because the 2 pounds will not make any difference in this instance. Its simply not going to weaken Alvarez or equal up the playing field weight wise. I suppose this is just one of Floyds little head games. I think it was rather stupid of Floyd to accept it because by doing so it has the appearance of impropriety and we all know how that goes. That 2 pounds does not help Floyd nor does it hinder Alvarez except give Floyd a bit of a mental edge out of the gate.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post

Its damn annoying.
    Thats my problem. Honestly, if I was Alvarez I would not concede anything. I understand hes young and its been said 'whats he have to lose' but that dog dont hunt. I think the 152 is pulling the wool over peoples eyes or more the 'contract' of it. How do you have a limit within a limit but still call it a legitimate division title? Just hand shake on it, whatever?! Floyd literally just fought a guy who didn't jump one...but two...divisions and did Guerrero it without winks, nods, and bs number games. He bolted into a grab to reclaim his "p4p" status fighting a Marquez who was a lightweight then and agreed on a 'catchweight'...only to blow it off and no one will ever convince me he wasn't near 150 that night. You want to beat the champ, claim legacy and greatness just cut the games and Alvarez makes his legit limit..you make what you will within limit..and go at it. Do we really..I mean really know who needs who more here Canelo is afterall the one with massive future, in a stacked division and middle where Floyd is 36. Hes the man now but I think he needs Canelo in a big way for the bigger picture. It'll be a good fight, WE win as fans, but there is zero need or desire to tinker in this catchweight bean counter bs we see much much more of. Its just goofy dude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo has about 2 rounds in which to win this fight, otherwise it will go as it always has in the past, Floyd will work him out and win an easy decision. Canelo must throw all caution to the wind and come out smokin', he has to assert himself early and score a big shot very early. PBF is a master at simply working his opponent out, adjusting his fight plan to suit and then cruising to victory. The only thing that can prevent this happening is for Canelo to strike hard in the 1st or 2nd rounds. He will have no time to settle in, Floyd will toy with him if this goes beyond 4 rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think that 2 lb could make a difference. in the trout fight canelo slowed down midfight and trying to lose that extra weight could tell on his stamina. if i were him i would just make 154 and pay the fine.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    But Floyd did not make Alvarez do it either my friend. The 12 to 15 million dollar payday for Alvarez did. They are the ones by all the reports I've seen so far that countered with 152. Floyd probably asked for 150.5 because of the massive weigh disparity and his typical game playing.

And this is where people get it wrong. Not all catch weights are equal in physical taxation. The comparison or attempts to do so between Manny asking for one with Cotto or Oscar and the one offered by Alvarez are apples and oranges. It will simply not have any effect on a guy that weighs close to lightheavyweight on fight night. He will probably rehydrate to the exact same weight he does when its 154. Cotto was not a big welter let alone a big jr. middle so when the catch weight was forced upon him that 2 pounds had a much greater effect. Oscar had not made welter in close to a decade.

Grant it either way Floyd accepted and should take a little flack but its simply not any kind of debilitating factor given the rehydration rate of Alvarez.
    Do we agree that the catch weight advantages Floyd? Floyd has literally stated in the past that fight the man at this weight. That Cotto was undefeated when he fought him because Margarito cheated and Pacquiao fought him at a catch weight. We know that it bullsh*t. That's why I'm saying smoke and mirrors. It's boxing. Floyd is no different than anyone else. When he has the advantage, he uses it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo asked for it. Not floyd.
    Canelo said ages ago he would fight at a catchweight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Canelo asked for it. Not floyd.
    Canelo said ages ago he would fight at a catchweight.
    He also said he'd fight a "catchweight" vs Hatton (which was a joke) and promply blew the weight and just payed the money. Its a farce.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he's shorter then Mayweather.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Abelardus View Post
    I think he's shorter then Mayweather.
    No I am sure he is 5ft 10, so taller.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information