Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How do you apply the Jack Dempsey drop/trigger step to the right cross/left hook?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How do you apply the Jack Dempsey drop/trigger step to the right cross/left hook?

This is a hard one I bet not many can answer.

Applying the drop/trigger step to the jab is easy. But say if I want to drop step fowards as I throw a straight right how on earth is that done? Same for the left hook how do I drop step in and throw the left hook?

The problem im find with the straight right is my weight has to be on the lead leg from the beginning to activate the drop/trigger step. Then my weight is propelled via my back foot foward and down and it all gets really heavily loaded onto the front foot, so with a normal straight right the weight starts on the back foot and transfers to the front and this adds alot of power, but with the drop step the weight is pretty much always fowards.

So its like I get a power boost from the drop step then a huge loss of power from the lack of rear leg to front leg rotational weight transfer.
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 05-31-2013 at 01:15 AM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How do you apply the Jack Dempsey drop/trigger step to the right cross/left hook?

The drop/trigger is also often referred to as the falling step...See what I mean? Your weight is basically 'falling' forward, not twisting or rotating. You can't 'fall' forward and throw a left hook, as the weight needs to get going in a different direction. You can 'step' in and hook, but bring your right foot up, maybe slide it to the right a wee bit, so the weight has a place to go.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How do you apply the Jack Dempsey drop/trigger step to the right cross/left hook?

Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post

Applying the drop/trigger step to the jab is easy. But say if I want to drop step fowards as I throw a straight right how on earth is that done? Same for the left hook how do I drop step in and throw the left hook?

The problem im find with the straight right is my weight has to be on the lead leg from the beginning to activate the drop/trigger step. Then my weight is propelled via my back foot foward and down and it all gets really heavily loaded onto the front foot, so with a normal straight right the weight starts on the back foot and transfers to the front and this adds alot of power, but with the drop step the weight is pretty much always fowards.

So its like I get a power boost from the drop step then a huge loss of power from the lack of rear leg to front leg rotational weight transfer.
    I am not saying it is not possible, I just quote jack more or less that you gotta direct your weight in the direction of the punch. In case of a hook, the direction of the punch and the direction of weight transfer by the drop-step you use for jab are basically perperndicular.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    The drop/trigger is also often referred to as the falling step...See what I mean? Your weight is basically 'falling' forward, not twisting or rotating. You can't 'fall' forward and throw a left hook, as the weight needs to get going in a different direction. You can 'step' in and hook, but bring your right foot up, maybe slide it to the right a wee bit, so the weight has a place to go.

Ok thankyou so for the left hook I would have to fall to my right.

What about the falling step for the straight right? I cant rotate my hips very well or get the normal hip weight transfer AS I do the falling step fowards. Hows it done?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post

I am not saying it is not possible, I just quote jack more or less that you gotta direct your weight in the direction of the punch. In case of a hook, the direction of the punch and the direction of weight transfer by the drop-step you use for jab are basically perperndicular.
    Got it makes sense fall in the direction of the punches power. So how do a fall/drop step fowards and throw the straight right? because I cant rotate my hips as im falling its like trying to rotate them in mid air. Also if I rotate them when I land heavily on my front foot there is nothing on them because my weight is already foward!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about the falling step for the straight right? I cant rotate my hips very well or get the normal hip weight transfer AS I do the falling step fowards. Hows it done?
    I read one description that had it this way: Put all your weight on the left foot, lean so far up on the left foot that you are about to fall over. Then take a giant step forward with the left foot. I suspect that that was meant as an exaggeration to get the feel of the move and then to be refined later.
    Try this instead...You know how, when you are doing footwork drills, you move in small steps? Start moving in big gliding motions, like a fencer. You're pushing off of that rear foot. Get in the habit of moving your hands and feet together- so when you push off and the left foot moves, move the left hand with it, drive the arm straight out. When you bring up the right foot, you are throwing the straight right, driving it all the way out. All your weight is coming forward; do it a few times and you'll start getting a feel for how you have to get your weight over your left leg. I could show you in a minute or two but I don't think I could possibly explain it typing.
    The things about doing it that way, is that it is a very graceful move and maintains balance. And you can instantly slide back out of range...in fact, try it going forward and then backward to get the feel and your balance before you try it with the punches.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read one description that had it this way: Put all your weight on the left foot, lean so far up on the left foot that you are about to fall over. Then take a giant step forward with the left foot. I suspect that that was meant as an exaggeration to get the feel of the move and then to be refined later.
    Try this instead...You know how, when you are doing footwork drills, you move in small steps? Start moving in big gliding motions, like a fencer. You're pushing off of that rear foot. Get in the habit of moving your hands and feet together- so when you push off and the left foot moves, move the left hand with it, drive the arm straight out. When you bring up the right foot, you are throwing the straight right, driving it all the way out. All your weight is coming forward; do it a few times and you'll start getting a feel for how you have to get your weight over your left leg. I could show you in a minute or two but I don't think I could possibly explain it typing.
    The things about doing it that way, is that it is a very graceful move and maintains balance. And you can instantly slide back out of range...in fact, try it going forward and then backward to get the feel and your balance before you try it with the punches.
    I dont see how this helps, it just makes everything more subtle, its great for normal footwork it keeps your weight nice and even and its fast, but it makes the drop step more subtle and therefore less powerful and it makes my weight transfer problem less of a problem but its still the same problem just a more subtle version, instead of all my weight on my front foot, now most of it is but not all of it, so im no further foward its still the same problem. That dosnt help at all.
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 06-01-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont see how this helps, it just makes everything more subtle, its great for normal footwork it keeps your weight nice and even and its fast, but it makes the drop step more subtle and therefore less powerful and it makes my weight transfer problem less of a problem but its still the same problem just a more subtle version, instead of all my weight on my front foot, now most of it is but not all of it, so im no further foward its still the same problem. That dosnt help at all.
    Did you try the move? Especially with the right hand? Your weight will be coming forward just about as much as it possibly can; you don't actually want to fall down, you know? You have to be in a position, balance-wise, to make the next move, whether that move is to throw a left hook, to retreat out of range, or to bob under a counter. But try it- push off that back foot and get your body moving forward, throw the straight right as your right foot is coming up. Your weight will be as forward as it can get without you going over face first (and you'll find/feel the spot where your hips need to turn. I was just doing this in my living room), and you'll end up in a spot where you can do something else next.
    Maybe I'm not explaining this well; I know that if you and I were in the same room I could show you and you would get it. Keep in mind...all that weight coming forward needs a turning point to make it useful, to get it going in the direction it needs to go in. When you slide forward- and really propel yourself- that left foot, when it lands, provides that point. I know I'm not explaining this well...The weight comes up from behind. It goes over the left leg which is the pivot point; from that point on the weight is moving forward and focused on the right fist. Try the move, see how it flows, and how you maintain balance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Greynotsoold you are a genius, I was not bringing my rear foot with me I was lunging like a retard, you told me this before and I must have gone back to my old habit of not bringing my rear foot with me each time. Sorry Grey and thankyou, you just increased the power of my jab inadvertantly and now I know how to step in with the cross and make the foward energy flow with the twisting of the cross!

I feel like such a Dick, thanks Grey I owe you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Grey im finding it hard to find the sweet spot of when to twist my foot/hips after ive stepped in, I found it hard to learn how to spin my hips when stationary now when im moving in then throwing the cross I find theres less weight on my back foot as I bring that rear foot up and for me when theres less weight on that rear foot I find it hard to rotate my hips with any power. Is it just a case of more practice or am I missing something still?

Ive noticed like you said the moment my front leg plants it becomes the pivot point for the foward momentum, and turns that foward momentum into a rotation.

Edit: scrap that Grey I was doing another old habit of twisting from the waist instead of from the foot/hips as I stepped in, so now I twist the rear foot the moment I bring it up and it twists my hips as normal.

Thanks again mate!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 06-01-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Grey im finding it hard to find the sweet spot of when to twist my foot/hips after ive stepped in, I found it hard to learn how to spin my hips when stationary now when im moving in then throwing the cross I find theres less weight on my back foot as I bring that rear foot up and for me when theres less weight on that rear foot I find it hard to rotate my hips with any power. Is it just a case of more practice or am I missing something still?
    I have to run into the living room and do the move a couple times to figure out how to answer...Let me start by explaining something about throwing the punch when stationary.
    Try this; don't start the straight right off your right foot. Instead, get the weight onto your left leg and start the rotation there. With the left foot flat, use the muscles in the left leg and on the left side to twist your body, like the hinges on a door. Your right foot just rotates in to turn your hip.
    Now, with this step...You are propelling your weight forward with your right foot and leg. When it sets on the left leg, the left side of the body again slams the right side forward, but it now has the full motion of the body, the force coming off the right leg, added in as well.
    Keep this in mind when you get around to throwing the left hook; it doesn't start on the left leg. It starts when the weight goes onto the right leg, then the muscles on the right side slam the the door. The pivot on the left toe does not initiate the punch, it only facilitates it.
    I hope I am making sense?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to run into the living room and do the move a couple times to figure out how to answer...Let me start by explaining something about throwing the punch when stationary.
    Try this; don't start the straight right off your right foot. Instead, get the weight onto your left leg and start the rotation there. With the left foot flat, use the muscles in the left leg and on the left side to twist your body, like the hinges on a door. Your right foot just rotates in to turn your hip.
    Now, with this step...You are propelling your weight forward with your right foot and leg. When it sets on the left leg, the left side of the body again slams the right side forward, but it now has the full motion of the body, the force coming off the right leg, added in as well.
    Keep this in mind when you get around to throwing the left hook; it doesn't start on the left leg. It starts when the weight goes onto the right leg, then the muscles on the right side slam the the door. The pivot on the left toe does not initiate the punch, it only facilitates it.
    I hope I am making sense?
    Hi Grey thanks a million ive sent you a private message let me know if you DIDNT get it cheers mate!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi OMGWTF,
    Below is an excerpt of something I wrote awhile back (on Dec 8th, 2007 to be exact) on "The Straight Right Hand" thread on this forum where I broke down the body mechanics on how to throw an optimal right cross (aka straight right hand). In my biomechanical description, I delineate the trigger step's role in the process. Anyway, read on and take mindful note of steps #1 and #2 where I detail the trigger step's involvement.

Oh, after the right cross description, I'll breakdown the trigger step for the left hook too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STRAIGHT RIGHT HAND to the head

1. From an orthodox stance, push off the ball of your right foot and simultaneously take a short 30 to 45 degree "trigger step" to the left with your left foot.

2. Now, as you push off and take the trigger step to the left, transfer approximately 90 percent of your body weight over your left leg/foot and recognize/designate the left side of your body (i.e. left foot, left knee, left hip, and left shoulder) as being the "door hinge" side which serves as the axis of rotation for the punch. To promote this weight transfer and emphasis over the left leg, "dig" your left foot into the ground. NOTE: there should be a slight bend in your left knee (one trainer I know says the left knee should be relatively straight to establish and maintain a better "door hinge" axis) and your head should be directly over your left foot.

3. Immediately rotate your right hip (and only your right hip at this time) counterclockwise (to square up with your lead left hip) and pivot on the ball of your right foot counterclockwise allowing your right shoulder (which should be lagging behind for a millisecond) to recoil back like a slingshot retraction (myotatically stretching your right pectoral muscles in the process).

SUMMARY for #1, #2, and #3: Step BEFORE hip rotation, head over left foot, body weight over left foot, left side of body (foot, knee, hip, shoulder) is the "door hinge" axis, right hip-whip rotation/right ball-of-foot pivot, right shoulder recoil.

4. With your right shoulder recoiled back, and your right hip rotating a millisecond ahead of it, use this right hip counterclockwise rotation to generate and explosively propel your right shoulder in whiplike/slingshot fashion. As you are in the transitional process of doing this, simultaneously "shrug" your right shoulder convulsively (i.e. like a forward shoulder shrug barbell/dumbbell exercise) in a counterclockwise circle (i.e. going forward). Now, use this "hip-then-shoulder whip" generated momentum and sequential torque to explosively "shoot" your right fist straight to and through your opponent's jaw.

SUMMARY for #4: Hip-whip rotation BEFORE forward shoulder shrug and slingshot action, shoulder drive BEFORE hand propulsion, explosively "shoot" your right fist into and through the target.

5. As you are explosively "shooting" your right fist straight ahead to and through your opponent's jaw, simultaneously pull-in/retract your left elbow back to your left ribcage in a short, quick, convulsive manner. By doing this, you add to the acceleration of your right hand shooting forward to and through the target. It's a "push-pull" type of action similarly analogous to hand pedaling a bicycle with both hands. Keep in mind, depending on whether you are leading off with the straight right hand from a guarded position, sharpshooting, initiating a combo, being in the midst of a combo, or finishing off of a combo, your left hand should be up or pulled back to the jaw during this convulsive left elbow retraction.

SUMMARY for #5: Explosive "push-pull" action with the hands/arms.

6. As you are "shooting" your right fist towards the target, adhere to the "power line" (an imaginary line from shoulder to fist which optimally allows you to put your shoulder behind the punch) by purposefully not flaring your right elbow up and out. Instead, keep your right elbow pointed down as much as possible without interfering with the freedom of movement.

7. At point of impact with the target--ideally the jaw, your right arm should be approximately 3/4ths extended (i.e. your right elbow should still be slightly bent) to allow follow-through. Upon contact, "gouge" down into and through the target with your right fist (as if you are doing an inverse shoveling movement). This will be easily facilitated through the forward shoulder shrugging movement of your right shoulder. NOTE: if your right arm is fully extended at impact, the force you generated is dissipated with no follow-through potential. So, make impact while the right elbow is still bent.

8. Strike into and through the target and follow-through with an elliptical retraction of your right hand back to guard position (i.e. right hand by right cheek/jaw area).

SUMMARY for #6, #7, and #8: Adhere to the "power line;" striking through, "gouging" down, and "sinking" into the target upon contact. FOLLOW-THROUGH and retract right hand back to guard.

9. In certain instances, depending on whether or not your straight right hand is starting off or finishing a combo or is executed as a single shot, you can add even more body weight and "follow through" into your punch by allowing your rear right leg to "slide/glide" forward after contact with the target. Remember, most of your body weight should be centered over your left foot/leg, so this right leg movement will feel natural.

SUMMARY for #9: At certain times, "slide/glide" the rear right leg forward after contact.

*While I've broken down the body mechanics in a step-by-step process, be cognizant that the sequences are taking place either simultaneously or sequentially in millisecond spaces of time.

**RELAX. Focused relaxation promotes acceleration, acceleration promotes force, force promotes knockout "power." Don't tense up any unnecessary muscles. Being "smooth" helps being fast...

***Keep in mind, your chin should be tucked and your left hand up (or in the process of being pulled back) protecting the left side of your jaw during the execution.

****Upon contact, have your right fist in a horizontal palm-down position or a 45-degree inward-diagonal position NOT in a vertical fist position (which inhibits natural arm movement and pectoralis/latissimus dorsi/trapezius muscle recruitment/involvement in the punch).

*****The striking surface/contact point is subject to debate. Some like Jack Dempsey advocate the three-knuckle striking area (i.e. middle, ring, and pinkie finger knuckles), while others support the traditional two-knuckle striking area (i.e. index and middle finger knuckles). I'm more inclined towards a "three-knuckle" landing, but to me it's a moot point in the chaos of battle. Three knuckles, two knuckles, heck, with all the positional and movement variables that exist, I'm happy when my punches land solidly irregardless of which particular knuckles actually make contact. Anyway, play around with it and decide for yourself what you want to focus on.

******From initiation to completion, which will be very, very rapid, be sure to exhale in a short, sharp manner. Exhalation during execution is extremely important in contributing to the generation of force among a myriad of other beneficial things.

*******Finally, you should have violent intention when executing this or any punch. This mindset adds even more "depth" to the strike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, as far as how you would incorporate/integrate the trigger step with the left hook, here's what to do:
    1) From an orthodox stance, push off and pivot clockwise on the ball of your lead left foot (to approximately a 1:00 to 2:00 o'clock angle) as you simultaneously take a short lateral "trigger step" (at a 3:00 o'clock angle) with your rear right foot.

2) Now, as you push off and take the trigger step to the right, transfer approximately 90 percent of your body weight over your rear right leg/foot and recognize/designate the right side of your body (i.e. right foot, right knee, right hip, and right shoulder) as being the "door hinge" side which serves as the axis of rotation for the punch. To promote this weight transfer and emphasis over the right leg, "dig" your right foot into the ground. NOTE: to "sit down" on the punch, "sink it" in by slightly bending both your right and left knees as you pivot clockwise.

On a side note: at the apex of the left hook, your head won't be directly over your "door hinge" side foot as it should be with the right cross. With this punch, it'll be slightly in front of it (i.e. your rear right foot) instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a final FYI note, I wasn't able to paste my entire description of the right cross on this post as my text had too many characters (according to the error notice I received). Anyway, if you're interested in reading the entire post, please refer to "The Straight Right Hand" thread, which has been placed in the Off Topic forum.

Well, I hope this helps you out.

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by StrictlySP View Post
    Hi OMGWTF,
    Below is an excerpt of something I wrote awhile back (on Dec 8th, 2007 to be exact) on "The Straight Right Hand" thread on this forum where I broke down the body mechanics on how to throw an optimal right cross (aka straight right hand). In my biomechanical description, I delineate the trigger step's role in the process. Anyway, read on and take mindful note of steps #1 and #2 where I detail the trigger step's involvement.

Oh, after the right cross description, I'll breakdown the trigger step for the left hook too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STRAIGHT RIGHT HAND to the head

1. From an orthodox stance, push off the ball of your right foot and simultaneously take a short 30 to 45 degree "trigger step" to the left with your left foot.

2. Now, as you push off and take the trigger step to the left, transfer approximately 90 percent of your body weight over your left leg/foot and recognize/designate the left side of your body (i.e. left foot, left knee, left hip, and left shoulder) as being the "door hinge" side which serves as the axis of rotation for the punch. To promote this weight transfer and emphasis over the left leg, "dig" your left foot into the ground. NOTE: there should be a slight bend in your left knee (one trainer I know says the left knee should be relatively straight to establish and maintain a better "door hinge" axis) and your head should be directly over your left foot.

3. Immediately rotate your right hip (and only your right hip at this time) counterclockwise (to square up with your lead left hip) and pivot on the ball of your right foot counterclockwise allowing your right shoulder (which should be lagging behind for a millisecond) to recoil back like a slingshot retraction (myotatically stretching your right pectoral muscles in the process).

SUMMARY for #1, #2, and #3: Step BEFORE hip rotation, head over left foot, body weight over left foot, left side of body (foot, knee, hip, shoulder) is the "door hinge" axis, right hip-whip rotation/right ball-of-foot pivot, right shoulder recoil.

4. With your right shoulder recoiled back, and your right hip rotating a millisecond ahead of it, use this right hip counterclockwise rotation to generate and explosively propel your right shoulder in whiplike/slingshot fashion. As you are in the transitional process of doing this, simultaneously "shrug" your right shoulder convulsively (i.e. like a forward shoulder shrug barbell/dumbbell exercise) in a counterclockwise circle (i.e. going forward). Now, use this "hip-then-shoulder whip" generated momentum and sequential torque to explosively "shoot" your right fist straight to and through your opponent's jaw.

SUMMARY for #4: Hip-whip rotation BEFORE forward shoulder shrug and slingshot action, shoulder drive BEFORE hand propulsion, explosively "shoot" your right fist into and through the target.

5. As you are explosively "shooting" your right fist straight ahead to and through your opponent's jaw, simultaneously pull-in/retract your left elbow back to your left ribcage in a short, quick, convulsive manner. By doing this, you add to the acceleration of your right hand shooting forward to and through the target. It's a "push-pull" type of action similarly analogous to hand pedaling a bicycle with both hands. Keep in mind, depending on whether you are leading off with the straight right hand from a guarded position, sharpshooting, initiating a combo, being in the midst of a combo, or finishing off of a combo, your left hand should be up or pulled back to the jaw during this convulsive left elbow retraction.

SUMMARY for #5: Explosive "push-pull" action with the hands/arms.

6. As you are "shooting" your right fist towards the target, adhere to the "power line" (an imaginary line from shoulder to fist which optimally allows you to put your shoulder behind the punch) by purposefully not flaring your right elbow up and out. Instead, keep your right elbow pointed down as much as possible without interfering with the freedom of movement.

7. At point of impact with the target--ideally the jaw, your right arm should be approximately 3/4ths extended (i.e. your right elbow should still be slightly bent) to allow follow-through. Upon contact, "gouge" down into and through the target with your right fist (as if you are doing an inverse shoveling movement). This will be easily facilitated through the forward shoulder shrugging movement of your right shoulder. NOTE: if your right arm is fully extended at impact, the force you generated is dissipated with no follow-through potential. So, make impact while the right elbow is still bent.

8. Strike into and through the target and follow-through with an elliptical retraction of your right hand back to guard position (i.e. right hand by right cheek/jaw area).

SUMMARY for #6, #7, and #8: Adhere to the "power line;" striking through, "gouging" down, and "sinking" into the target upon contact. FOLLOW-THROUGH and retract right hand back to guard.

9. In certain instances, depending on whether or not your straight right hand is starting off or finishing a combo or is executed as a single shot, you can add even more body weight and "follow through" into your punch by allowing your rear right leg to "slide/glide" forward after contact with the target. Remember, most of your body weight should be centered over your left foot/leg, so this right leg movement will feel natural.

SUMMARY for #9: At certain times, "slide/glide" the rear right leg forward after contact.

*While I've broken down the body mechanics in a step-by-step process, be cognizant that the sequences are taking place either simultaneously or sequentially in millisecond spaces of time.

**RELAX. Focused relaxation promotes acceleration, acceleration promotes force, force promotes knockout "power." Don't tense up any unnecessary muscles. Being "smooth" helps being fast...

***Keep in mind, your chin should be tucked and your left hand up (or in the process of being pulled back) protecting the left side of your jaw during the execution.

****Upon contact, have your right fist in a horizontal palm-down position or a 45-degree inward-diagonal position NOT in a vertical fist position (which inhibits natural arm movement and pectoralis/latissimus dorsi/trapezius muscle recruitment/involvement in the punch).

*****The striking surface/contact point is subject to debate. Some like Jack Dempsey advocate the three-knuckle striking area (i.e. middle, ring, and pinkie finger knuckles), while others support the traditional two-knuckle striking area (i.e. index and middle finger knuckles). I'm more inclined towards a "three-knuckle" landing, but to me it's a moot point in the chaos of battle. Three knuckles, two knuckles, heck, with all the positional and movement variables that exist, I'm happy when my punches land solidly irregardless of which particular knuckles actually make contact. Anyway, play around with it and decide for yourself what you want to focus on.

******From initiation to completion, which will be very, very rapid, be sure to exhale in a short, sharp manner. Exhalation during execution is extremely important in contributing to the generation of force among a myriad of other beneficial things.

*******Finally, you should have violent intention when executing this or any punch. This mindset adds even more "depth" to the strike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, as far as how you would incorporate/integrate the trigger step with the left hook, here's what to do:
    1) From an orthodox stance, push off and pivot clockwise on the ball of your lead left foot (to approximately a 1:00 to 2:00 o'clock angle) as you simultaneously take a short lateral "trigger step" (at a 3:00 o'clock angle) with your rear right foot.

2) Now, as you push off and take the trigger step to the right, transfer approximately 90 percent of your body weight over your rear right leg/foot and recognize/designate the right side of your body (i.e. right foot, right knee, right hip, and right shoulder) as being the "door hinge" side which serves as the axis of rotation for the punch. To promote this weight transfer and emphasis over the right leg, "dig" your right foot into the ground. NOTE: to "sit down" on the punch, "sink it" in by slightly bending both your right and left knees as you pivot clockwise.

On a side note: at the apex of the left hook, your head won't be directly over your "door hinge" side foot as it should be with the right cross. With this punch, it'll be slightly in front of it (i.e. your rear right foot) instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a final FYI note, I wasn't able to paste my entire description of the right cross on this post as my text had too many characters (according to the error notice I received). Anyway, if you're interested in reading the entire post, please refer to "The Straight Right Hand" thread, which has been placed in the Off Topic forum.

Well, I hope this helps you out.

Take Care,
    Lito
    WOW I only just got this thankyou Strictly mate its very much appreciated! I will defo check the entire thread out too! Thanks mate!!!

Thread Information