Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default sparring lefty

Theres a new guy in the gym (not new to boxing just moved here about 2 months ago) and has a few ammy fights..... Ive been sparring him and its different obv since hes a southpaw. Im not asking HOW to fight a southpaw since theres tons of thread on that but im specifically asking ways to set up my straight right......everyone says the straight right is the best but I havent seen to many people give certain set ups......even better if anyone has any opposite stance match up I can watch of either a lefty or righty hitting the straight lead with success

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: sparring lefty

Hi mate.

I'm a southpaw so you can imagine I almost always spar with orthodox fighters, so this is the same but just reversed.

I do what you would do against me, I step away from your lead right so I'm always stepping to your left, I like to wait for the orthodox jab, and see what he follows it with.

If the guy I'm sparring is throwing just jabs then I wait til he's thrown it on about 4 separate occasions then I throw the straight as he try's to jab, it can be hard to time, but ill happily take a jab to land a straight.

Another solutions is to try the sort of hook that Pacquiao sparked Hatton with, you can easily change your body position to throw a straight provided the angle is right.

However if he has had few amateur fights and did well and you haven't then he may just have too much knowledge for you,it'll also take away a bit of the fear he may have had before he was in a real fight.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 06-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch Ricardo Lopez fight. He made something like 14 title defenses against southpaws, won them all, and in a variety of ways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by knocktown View Post
    Theres a new guy in the gym (not new to boxing just moved here about 2 months ago) and has a few ammy fights..... Ive been sparring him and its different obv since hes a southpaw. Im not asking HOW to fight a southpaw since theres tons of thread on that but im specifically asking ways to set up my straight right......everyone says the straight right is the best but I havent seen to many people give certain set ups......even better if anyone has any opposite stance match up I can watch of either a lefty or righty hitting the straight lead with success
    Hi mate

x2 Jab cross (bat the lead glove out the way then follow with another to counter his counter then follow with a cross or a cross hook) bear in mind the jabs have to be hard and in quick succession you have to bat that lead hand out the way then jab again before his cross reaches your face and you have to off balance him too then its safe to fire the cross)

slip cross ( slip his jab to your left as you fire a right cross)

parry jab cross (touch n go) make sure the cross comes as fast as possible after the left hand parry

heavy jab to body with a duck, then come up with a cross to the head or if he keeps his hands up a cross to the body

just a cross straight off the bat its ok to do this

lean back from his jab/cross/jab cross etc then lean foward again and cross

You could watch Hopkins against tarver, Hopkins was masterful at destroying southpaws out boxing tarver and getting off the lead right and lead right hook.
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 06-11-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Thread Information