0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bend wrist at straight punches?

Hello,

I own a bag at home and my goal is to keep hitting it hard

I think the very end when turning a punch over is where I do it wrong with straight punches specially with the jab.

Wrist at my "pinki finger side" of my left arm hurts...
    Interesting that it does not hurt when I hit the bag (quite strong) with hand wraps only.

So I figured that with hooks I turn the wrist slightly inwards at the very end of a punch.

Should I do the same with straight punches?

Very confused because I see some pro's do the opposite. They have wrist turn inwards and as they punch they extend it.

I'd like to add that my lower body movement is correct cause with open palm (and no gloves) my jab is powerful....very loud snap!
    But somehow the same punch with a fist sux =/

Gear: 16oz winning (mostly) and small bag gloves that I just bought. winning are great gloves but they feel too big (yes with hand wraps on).

Long question Short: What to do with wrist at the end of straight punches?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bend wrist at straight punches?

No matter what punch you are throwing, you do not bend the wrist. When you turn those straight punches over, rotate the arm. When you hook, you begin with the palm turned in. At the end of your follow through, the two large knuckles touch the shoulder. The palm is down. But this comes from raising the elbow, not bending the wrist.
    I had the same problem in my left wrist; also, it did not hurt when I hit the bag with wraps only. Check the way you wrap your hands. Sometimes you can go too heavy around the palm and this prevents you from closing your hand into a good tight fist. It will be okay with just the wraps...but the way modern gloves are made, generally, they make it hard to make a real fist.
    This amplifies any problems you may have, be it a too thick wrap or landing the punch on the outside knuckles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really good question man.

I always keep mine very slightly inwards. That way if it does give it doesn't snap as bad as it would if kept it straight. I also feel as if I get more power this way.

Very interested to hear others opinion on this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    No matter what punch you are throwing, you do not bend the wrist. When you turn those straight punches over, rotate the arm. When you hook, you begin with the palm turned in. At the end of your follow through, the two large knuckles touch the shoulder. The palm is down. But this comes from raising the elbow, not bending the wrist.
    I had the same problem in my left wrist; also, it did not hurt when I hit the bag with wraps only. Check the way you wrap your hands. Sometimes you can go too heavy around the palm and this prevents you from closing your hand into a good tight fist. It will be okay with just the wraps...but the way modern gloves are made, generally, they make it hard to make a real fist.
    This amplifies any problems you may have, be it a too thick wrap or landing the punch on the outside knuckles.

If you slightly bend the wrist inward it puts those first two knuckles and meta carples in line with your forearm bones. When there is no bend at all in the wrist it brings all that out of line.

The back of my hand is in line with my arm. I guess this could be considered a straight wrist lol but it seems like it take a slight inward bend to make the alignment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

greynotsoold so did you just stop using gloves to solve wrist pain?

"The back of my hand is in line with my arm. I guess this could be considered a straight wrist lol but it seems like it take a slight inward bend to make the alignment. "

bend wrist at the moment of impact or bend wrist already in a guard?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vitez View Post
    greynotsoold so did you just stop using gloves to solve wrist pain?

"The back of my hand is in line with my arm. I guess this could be considered a straight wrist lol but it seems like it take a slight inward bend to make the alignment. "

bend wrist at the moment of impact or bend wrist already in a guard?
    I went out and bought a pair of the basic Everlast bag gloves, that you can get in most sporting goods stores for $15, the kind with the metal rod in the palm. Then I was careful how I wrapped my hands. I had noticed that I was going too often across the palm; the thickness of the wrap kept my index finger pushed out a bit. When I'd land punches, I would get pain on the outside part of my left wrist.
    I got a couple good, firm wraps across my knuckles and then x' across the back of the hand, and focused on wrapping my wrist up the base of my thumb real well. With the Everlast bag gloves I was able to make a good fist and had no more trouble.

Thread Information