Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is it ok to.....

1) Lead with a right hook (im a southpaw) lead with a right hook to their lead left arm/glove to knock it out the way/across them/unbalance them so I can follow up with a cross? (it would be a long range fast pushy hook just being used as a set up especially if their lead arm is hanging out infront of them) I think I aked this b4 just wondering if its a good idea or bad?

2) ALSO more importantly can you slip any direction to avoid a jab / cross or does it have to be a slip right for a jab and a slip left for a cross? (im southpaw) If I slip right when a cross comes will it hit me?

3) ALSO one more thing can I fient with my body the left cross (so I make my body a bit more square on) to power up my right hook or right power jab and smash them with it, then when they think another powered up right hook is comming I send a rear left cross, this way they never know whats comming a cross or a hook or will this leave me vunerable if I square up too often?

4) ALSO Is it ok to jab with a bent elbow as a southpaw? You know how theres a difference between a straight right and a right cross ie one is straight one is slightly bent at the elbow? Well as a southpaw the same dynamic applies but with your jabs can I send a bent elbow jab over their straight jab? Or just lead with it if their guard is up as it might get a nice angle through the gap?

5) ALSO dO YOU SLIP BY ROTATING THE HIPS OR BY SINKING YOUR WEIGHT FROM FOOT TO FOOT? wHATS THE OFFICIAL WAY TO DO IT OR ARE THERE MANY WAYS AS USUAL?
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 06-11-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is it ok to.....

Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post

1) Lead with a right hook (im a southpaw) lead with a right hook to their lead left arm/glove to knock it out the way/across them/unbalance them so I can follow up with a cross? (it would be a long range fast pushy hook just being used as a set up especially if their lead arm is hanging out infront of them) I think I aked this b4 just wondering if its a good idea or bad?

2) ALSO more importantly can you slip any direction to avoid a jab / cross or does it have to be a slip right for a jab and a slip left for a cross? (im southpaw) If I slip right when a cross comes will it hit me?

3) ALSO one more thing can I fient with my body the left cross (so I make my body a bit more square on) to power up my right hook or right power jab and smash them with it, then when they think another powered up right hook is comming I send a rear left cross, this way they never know whats comming a cross or a hook or will this leave me vunerable if I square up too often?

4) ALSO Is it ok to jab with a bent elbow as a southpaw? You know how theres a difference between a straight right and a right cross ie one is straight one is slightly bent at the elbow? Well as a southpaw the same dynamic applies but with your jabs can I send a bent elbow jab over their straight jab? Or just lead with it if their guard is up as it might get a nice angle through the gap?

5) ALSO dO YOU SLIP BY ROTATING THE HIPS OR BY SINKING YOUR WEIGHT FROM FOOT TO FOOT? wHATS THE OFFICIAL WAY TO DO IT OR ARE THERE MANY WAYS AS USUAL?
    In answer to your first question, watch the 2nd knockdown in this fight, at about 8:18. You'll see De La Hoya throw a left hook that clears the Ruelas left out of the straight right that finishes the fight.
    You can slip in any direction, as to whether it is advisable...If you slip inside his jab, it puts you in line for his right hand. That probably would not be advisable on a regular basis. But...if you do it knowing that he will throw the right hand, you may be able to take advantage of that, because you'll know what is coming. Same thing with slipping to the right on his straight right. Maybe you can make that move and land your left hand inside his right, but you'll be leaning into his left hook.
    By squaring up like that, you will make your hook faster but probably not harder as you'll have less of a body turn to work with. Also, by squaring up, you lose some of the southpaw advantage; punches that your opponent doesn't see coming because of the angles.
    I fit works, it is ok to do. There are many southpaws that had excellent jabs and used them well. Hagler, Moorer, Camacho, Jiro Watanabe, Hilario Zapata, Chiquita Gonzalez (when he chose to use it.)
    Slip like you throw punches. By that I mean...As a southpaw, the move you make to slip to your right is the same as the move you make to throw a straight left or left cross. To slip to your left, it is the same as to throw your right hook.
    When you do it this way, you can either punch as you slip, or, if you choose to slip, then punch, your weight is in the right place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post

In answer to your first question, watch the 2nd knockdown in this fight, at about 8:18. You'll see De La Hoya throw a left hook that clears the Ruelas left out of the straight right that finishes the fight.
    You can slip in any direction, as to whether it is advisable...If you slip inside his jab, it puts you in line for his right hand. That probably would not be advisable on a regular basis. But...if you do it knowing that he will throw the right hand, you may be able to take advantage of that, because you'll know what is coming. Same thing with slipping to the right on his straight right. Maybe you can make that move and land your left hand inside his right, but you'll be leaning into his left hook.
    By squaring up like that, you will make your hook faster but probably not harder as you'll have less of a body turn to work with. Also, by squaring up, you lose some of the southpaw advantage; punches that your opponent doesn't see coming because of the angles.
    I fit works, it is ok to do. There are many southpaws that had excellent jabs and used them well. Hagler, Moorer, Camacho, Jiro Watanabe, Hilario Zapata, Chiquita Gonzalez (when he chose to use it.)
    Slip like you throw punches. By that I mean...As a southpaw, the move you make to slip to your right is the same as the move you make to throw a straight left or left cross. To slip to your left, it is the same as to throw your right hook.
    When you do it this way, you can either punch as you slip, or, if you choose to slip, then punch, your weight is in the right place.
    Grey you are a legend thanks so much for your help mate!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only sometimes, jab is still most important punch in boxing, leading with a hook makes you vulnerable.

You can slip both, inside(inside arm/guard) and outside, slipping inside a cross is more dangerous.

Confusing question, but yes you can feint with your body, shoulder, hand or hip, even bending your knees as if you are throwing a cross to the body

If you are throwing a crooked(bent) arm, over a jab, it is no longer a jab, depends on foot position, you can throw a jab over a out stretched arm, if it feels right do it but you would need outside foot position, otherwise you are throwing a long range hook and have a high chance of being hit in the face.

5) ALSO dO YOU SLIP BY ROTATING THE HIPS OR BY SINKING YOUR WEIGHT FROM FOOT TO FOOT? wHATS THE OFFICIAL WAY TO DO IT OR ARE THERE MANY WAYS AS USUAL?[/QUOTE]

There are many ways to slip, better to make him miss by a inch than a mile, you also want to be in a position to throw a counter punch, imagine the punch going over your shoulder, you are "dipping" forward and to the side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boyla View Post

Only sometimes, jab is still most important punch in boxing, leading with a hook makes you vulnerable.

You can slip both, inside(inside arm/guard) and outside, slipping inside a cross is more dangerous.

Confusing question, but yes you can feint with your body, shoulder, hand or hip, even bending your knees as if you are throwing a cross to the body

If you are throwing a crooked(bent) arm, over a jab, it is no longer a jab, depends on foot position, you can throw a jab over a out stretched arm, if it feels right do it but you would need outside foot position, otherwise you are throwing a long range hook and have a high chance of being hit in the face.

There are many ways to slip, better to make him miss by a inch than a mile, you also want to be in a position to throw a counter punch, imagine the punch going over your shoulder, you are "dipping" forward and to the side.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant answers thanks for taking the time to do that mate its very much appreciated!!!

Thread Information