Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How do you box a HUGE powerful guy with long arms?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How do you box a HUGE powerful guy with long arms?

I have to spar against this giant man, and he is very strong, has very heavy hands, longer reach and his head is WAY up there (im 6.1) hes really tall and fat!

The fact that he has longer arms is bad enough but on top of that his head is high up meaning I have to punch my straight punches up making them loose range, then on top of that if I get into my range on the inside with hooks he has stupidly heavy hands if I clinch he just leans his extreme mass on my spine.

All I can manage are straight punches to his body in and out then run away rinse and repeat.

Is it just impossible to hit his head? (Im southpaw he is orthadox btw)

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How do you box a HUGE powerful guy with long arms?

Traditionally you have to bring his arms down by punishment as you have been doing. Some of the very old style boxers used to use a more crouched and would lean more off center bodily over to one side sort of a style.That forced the big dude to lean over and come hunting off balance and over committed;those rising 45% uppercut sort of hooks would come into play as you caught him leaning in it.

Personally I like the idea of playing all distances and disrupting their arms on your way in or on their way in, so you think in two's; bang bang off each side, tap his lead arm in or down when he reacts the opposite way, go in under it bodily so you smother his movement. Get on the inner, liver shot and over hand bomb so you are setting your feet and movement to land harder to the opening he leaves as his arm reacts to your first move, that sort of thing.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Traditionally you have to bring his arms down by punishment as you have been doing. Some of the very old style boxers used to use a more crouched and would lean more off center bodily over to one side sort of a style.That forced the big dude to lean over and come hunting off balance and over committed;those rising 45% uppercut sort of hooks would come into play as you caught him leaning in it.

Personally I like the idea of playing all distances and disrupting their arms on your way in or on their way in, so you think in two's; bang bang off each side, tap his lead arm in or down when he reacts the opposite way, go in under it bodily so you smother his movement. Get on the inner, liver shot and over hand bomb so you are setting your feet and movement to land harder to the opening he leaves as his arm reacts to your first move, that sort of thing.
    Cool thats very Kind of you thanks mate!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What use to work for me was letting them chase me and bang away with jabs to the body head, when I tried to walk them down they would see it coming from a mie away and just time me on the way in, so I started letting them walk in on me and jabbing to body and head and feinting and getting them reacting to it , then leaping with left hooks or right hands after feinting the jab, worked everytime, watch Floyd- Corrales, it worked great for me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4life View Post
    What use to work for me was letting them chase me and bang away with jabs to the body head, when I tried to walk them down they would see it coming from a mie away and just time me on the way in, so I started letting them walk in on me and jabbing to body and head and feinting and getting them reacting to it , then leaping with left hooks or right hands after feinting the jab, worked everytime, watch Floyd- Corrales, it worked great for me
    Absolutely great point!!! Cheers again mate!!

Thread Information