Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Feet and Hips? Cross and rear hand hook?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Feet and Hips? Cross and rear hand hook?

For the cross where should my hips and feet stop?

If I twist my foot and stop twisting my foot when its pointing dead ahead my punch goes dead straight from my shoulder, if I rotate my foot even further and inwards my hips lock out I almost change stances from left to right and my punch goes diagonally foward instead of dead ahead.

Which is the proper way to throw the rear cross? If both are ok should I be able to rotate my hips fully without moving my feet much at all?

I feel like when I stop my rear foot so its pointing dead ahead I get more leg drive than when I rotate it all the way in and lock my hips out but I get more rotational power if I fully lock my hips out and turn my foot in.

Lastly for a rear arm hook should I rotate my hips and feet all the way fully so I againt almost switch stances?

This is from a classic stance (side on) and a slightly more square front on 3/4 stance)
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 06-16-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Feet and Hips? Cross and rear hand hook?

Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post

If I twist my foot and stop twisting my foot when its pointing dead ahead my punch goes dead straight from my shoulder, if I rotate my foot even further and inwards my hips lock out I almost change stances from left to right and my punch goes diagonally foward instead of dead ahead.

Which is the proper way to throw the rear cross? If both are ok should I be able to rotate my hips fully without moving my feet much at all?

I feel like when I stop my rear foot so its pointing dead ahead I get more leg drive than when I rotate it all the way in and lock my hips out but I get more rotational power if I fully lock my hips out and turn my foot in.

Lastly for a rear arm hook should I rotate my hips and feet all the way fully so I againt almost switch stances?

This is from a classic stance (side on) and a slightly more square front on 3/4 stance)
    Try this, and do it slowly so you get the feeling of the way you should move. We'll go through the straight left hand.
    Put your weight onto the right leg- using the muscles on the right side of the body, twist the body violently to the right. This will cause your left foot to pivot inward to facilitate turning your hip; this will turn your shoulder. Do it slowly and in sections from the ground up until you feel it. Then start doing it violently, which should fling your arm- hanging loosley at your side- violently.
    Not put your left hand up in punching position, and keep it there. Keep it there as long as you possibly can, until your shoulder is turned almost to the front, then drive the arm out. That way you get the full turn of the body driving it.
    If you stop your left toe when it is pointed straight ahead, you restrict the turn of the hips and thus the shoulders. It feels like more drive because you are 'pushing' - your foot, hip, shoulder and arm in simultaneous motion. You want accumulated force, like cracking a whip. So start it from the ground up, like I described above.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Feet and Hips? Cross and rear hand hook?

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post

Try this, and do it slowly so you get the feeling of the way you should move. We'll go through the straight left hand.
    Put your weight onto the right leg- using the muscles on the right side of the body, twist the body violently to the right. This will cause your left foot to pivot inward to facilitate turning your hip; this will turn your shoulder. Do it slowly and in sections from the ground up until you feel it. Then start doing it violently, which should fling your arm- hanging loosley at your side- violently.
    Not put your left hand up in punching position, and keep it there. Keep it there as long as you possibly can, until your shoulder is turned almost to the front, then drive the arm out. That way you get the full turn of the body driving it.
    If you stop your left toe when it is pointed straight ahead, you restrict the turn of the hips and thus the shoulders. It feels like more drive because you are 'pushing' - your foot, hip, shoulder and arm in simultaneous motion. You want accumulated force, like cracking a whip. So start it from the ground up, like I described above.

You have a great teaching method grey thanks mate brilliant!!

Thread Information