Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How to improve the power of your punch? List as many ways you can think of please!?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How to improve the power of your punch? List as many ways you can think of please!?

With emphasis on methods that will cause the most dramatic increase in power.

Dont hold back, anything you can think anything at all, that will/ may increase the power of your punches.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to improve the power of your punch? List as many ways you can think of please

take a fuckin massive run up
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to improve the power of your punch? List as many ways you can think of please

Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly, shadow boxing to get the proper form down. Once you get proper form, heavy bag.

Also core and leg workouts. A strong core and legs are the most important in combat sports.

But heavy bag is really whats going to work all these muscles together and give you the feel for hitting with full power. But remember use good form. And dont forget shadow boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my opinion you can punch much harder with the perfect technique, you see guys starting boxing with alot power but the punches don't hurt, you teach them a beautifull technique they punch verry dangerous

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The first thing you want to do is build up your body with bodyweight exercises, pushups, pullups, and most importantly body squats, all power pinchers have built legs, that way you can gain strength but maintain agility, I would stay away form weights they take away from functionality.

Next, get as heavy bag as you can hit, all power punchers have been known to hit really heavy bags, including iron mike

And third, throw your punches with power, throw as hard and as fast as you can each time and your power will continue to increase, as well as your speed. Consciously put bad intentions behind every punch, whether your shadow boxing or hitting the bag

Also run with a rock in one hand, and halfway switch hands, rocky, and Tyson have been known to do this with claims of increasing strength.

and like the fellas said, form is very important, do all these things you should be fine.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello:

*bows deeply*

One point not mentioned and may be worth a thought that I wanted to add:

Learn to hit just "hard enough" - no need to try and knock off your opponent's head with each punch. You conserve energy this way as well maintain balance/form.

HTH.

Very truly yours,

~sg
    "A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, & good stickgrappling & can keep track of all 3 simultaneously. This is a good trick & can be quite effective." - Marc 'Crafty Dog' Denny

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickgrappler View Post
    Hello:

*bows deeply*

One point not mentioned and may be worth a thought that I wanted to add:

Learn to hit just "hard enough" - no need to try and knock off your opponent's head with each punch. You conserve energy this way as well maintain balance/form.

HTH.

Very truly yours,

~sg
    Good point. You don't turn on every punch, but you do throw every punch with proper technique. I remember watching Julio Cesar Borboa ko Gilberto Roman's little brother- moved in and out, punching crisp and hard, but never once 'setting down' on a punch. He won in 4. Orlando Canizales was good at this as well, moving and hitting hard (because his balance was spot on and his technique just right) then turning on a punch when he had it set up. Arguello, too.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4life View Post
    The first thing you want to do is build up your body with bodyweight exercises, pushups, pullups, and most importantly body squats, all power pinchers have built legs, that way you can gain strength but maintain agility, I would stay away form weights they take away from functionality.

Next, get as heavy bag as you can hit, all power punchers have been known to hit really heavy bags, including iron mike

And third, throw your punches with power, throw as hard and as fast as you can each time and your power will continue to increase, as well as your speed. Consciously put bad intentions behind every punch, whether your shadow boxing or hitting the bag

Also run with a rock in one hand, and halfway switch hands, rocky, and Tyson have been known to do this with claims of increasing strength.

and like the fellas said, form is very important, do all these things you should be fine.
    If you stick with bodyweight squats thrn before long you won't be building power or strength, just muscular endurance.

Weights DO improve strength, agility, power and speed, but so few people actually know how to design and carry our an effective strength program and most people involved in boxing coaching would rather stick their heads in the sand and see any weight routine using over 5lb as a 'bodybuilding' workout.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Functionality, thats something that theres not a lot off.. Well worth a lot of consideration.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4life View Post

If you stick with bodyweight squats thrn before long you won't be building power or strength, just muscular endurance.

Weights DO improve strength, agility, power and speed, but so few people actually know how to design and carry our an effective strength program and most people involved in boxing coaching would rather stick their heads in the sand and see any weight routine using over 5lb as a 'bodybuilding' workout.
    I do agree with you that not all weights is bodybuilding and using them properly can be helpful like mayweather and pacqiou do, but then you have guys like lacey and urango who abuse them. Also, the statement about body squats not building strength is caompletly false, atleast for me, i have no scientific proof, just personal experimentation. I was doing a powerlifting workout with my boxing and found that it was making my punches super heavy, but taking away from my footwork, and my snap(which has alot to do with functional power imo), i switched to bodyweight and started gaining more power, more agility in my feet, and maintained fluidity in my punches, hard to describe without being able to show you the difference, but i do have video maybe ill put them up and tag you. One after powerlifitng for months, one after bodyweight.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Functionality, thats something that theres not a lot off.. Well worth a lot of consideration.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Doing countless reps of any exercise won't make the muscles involved in that movement be able to output more force, just make them able to work at a low intensity fir a sustained ammount of time.

All I can guess is that something was off in your squatting form, most people are incredibly tight in the hips and dominant in the quads, the posterior chain (glutes, hams and lower back) doesn't link to the CNS very well. Good squatting technique. Learning to move correctly from a place of postural integrity is a must before putting yourself under any weight, otherwise all you'll likely do is further tighten the over active muscles... This could have slowed you down.

It could also be down to poor sequencing and insufuciant recovery, if you smash your legs with strength training on monday, do sprint training on tuesday and then box on wednesday then of course you will lack energy in your legs for example.

Perhaps going back to lower intensity exercises has meant that you're less fatigued in other sessions, doesn't mean an actual improvement in potential power though.

Power Lifting movements are good, but once you've learned to correctly perform these movements under a load, you need to then progress the movements into ones that are performed with rapid acceleration to develop not just strengrh but speed and power.

ie: deadlifts become cleans, squats become squat jumps and bench press becomes plyonetric pushups etc.

It's not something you can do in a month or two. A training cycle would typically involve:

Developing endurance (lighter weights and bodyweight moves)

Strength training (high load, low rep training, supplementing with higher volume work on stability muscles)

Power and speed training (moderate load and low to moderate reps, performed explosively)

From there you can work on general endurance, strength endurance, power endurance etc... etc...

Before messing about with a heavy load, developing the CNS to move correctly abd maintain correct posture and the muscles and tendons to be able to handle a higher workload is a must, in this regard high rep body weight training with perfect form is great.

It's worth remembering that this training is only to suppliment your technique, not create it. Pivoting from heel to heel when punching/moving has got me hitting harder than a year of strength and power work alone would.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Balance, everything; yourself in your movement in the ring and in outwardly in all your varied practice.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information