Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we agree, and admit, that we overrated Adrian Broner?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do we agree, and admit, that we overrated Adrian Broner?

Broner was being heralded as the next Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather, and after last night's performance, those opinions are going way overboard. He barely beat Paulie Malignaggi. Many people had it a draw or Paulie winning by a point. It's only fair we reel in some of the praise.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Who was Paullie shouting at the end there? What was it over?

Broner isnt that good but he is class. He will be champ for a long time. He will be no more protected then Pacman, Flloyd or any other boxing cash cow.
    How high did you rate Paulie Malignaggi @Silkeyjoe? Because most people didn't rate Paulie Malignaggi. Broner could not dominate Paulie Malignaggi the way Miguel Cotto, Ricky Hatton, or Amir Khan did, and this was a passed-prime Paulie Malignaggi.
    I rate him highly, he is a very skilled boxer with no punching power. He has only been beaten by top fighters, and the Hatton fight Paulies mind wasnt right, so dont know if that fight should count as much. He was excellent against Senchenko, when he went to Ukraine to fight an unbeaten, highly but wrongly rated fighter. I think Paulie was about 6/1 with the bookies to win that day.

Also, you cant say because other fighters beat someone better then another guy that that guy isnt as good. Garcia was poor against Holt while Peterson was excellent. Doesnt mean Peterson is better then Garcia. JMM was shit against Flloyd but good against Pacman. It doesnt mean much. Khan was great against Zab, Garcia not so much. Every fighter has off days. Broner didnt look great, but I still think he won very comfortable. There are guys who could beat him, but not that many.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't overrate fighters because I evaluate them myself I don't need others! Broner is on a well planned schedule thats working well for him. He fights a local hero in the heros home camp and helps that hero sell out a new room thats looking to promote boxing!
    He wins the fight easily (8 to 4) if you know how to judge a "pro fight"! He needed the right guy to get in a full 12 rounds safely and Paulie was perfect for that! I see this kid possibly being an out sanding fighter at the age oges of 25 to 27yrs old. He comes fight and fights out of a steppers mold. He can box and he has power but at 147 I didn't think it would be there with a moving target and it wasn't. Although Paulie was on the move ALL nite, wonder why?
    Both acquitted themselves very well and its OVER! Move on!! Bika and the Mexican kid stole the show wiith Heart & Soul! Seth & Banks shouldn't be paid, give them expenses and revoke their liscenses for a year! They were a disgrace and an embarassment! Lil dude from Cinn. town looked skillfull and sharp! Ray.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    He almost bit off more than he could chew in Paulie Malignaggi, which says a lot considering Khan & Hatton stopped Paulie, and Cotto beat him up. Paulie didn't look worse for wear last night either. Now we know for certain that Broner is no rare, once a decade talent, like a Mayweather, Marquez or a Pacquiao.

So, let's take a step back, and reevaluate Broner. Where does he go from here? Should he take a few years to develop his craft before making another run at the ephemeral p4p title? Maybe drop back down to 135? I would say 140, but I don't think he needs to be in the ring with a lot of the guys at 140 yet. Maybe he goes back to 135 and cleans out the division. Face Burns, Vasquez and the like. What do you say?
    I bet he moves down in weight before a serious challenger comes up. This fight was, yet again, about the lack of power of Paulie than it had to do with Broner making a good showing.

Paulie shouldn't even be in boxing IF he can't keep a guy off of him. And it seems as how he has gotten older, he has lost more power.... you can't any respect from anyone with that sorta stuff Paulie. Quit it.

But, this fight showed me a lot about Broner too- he won't fight a REAL live and hard hitting Welter or Jr. Welter EXCEPT for an ageing JMM (who is a small guy himself and bulked up) and a Tim Bradley who hits just as soft as Paulie does- but against Manny, Rios, Garcia, Khan, Thurman, Bailey, Provodnik- guys that can punch and take a punch- Broner won't last.

He is not the next great one. Sorry. I put more stock in Danny Garcia any day!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It says alot when a guy is boasting about being a "three time champion at only 23" and being mentioned in the same sentences as greats but in the next breath all you hear is he's young and still green, has time to develope etc etc. It shines a light on exactly how shallow trinkets are. Its obviously not that he is an outstanding flawless fighter, he's just not. The mention of him in the same sentence with Mayweather is embarrassing..and Mayweather is low on my list of favorites. He like Berto has a huge risk of needing to learn on the job once he gets into the REAL fights against top tier threats. He is doing it backwards, and once you are on the mount, mentally the way he thinks of himself etc and at a peak network exposure you don't get a do'over to face lesser guys and improve. He is playing with fire with that God think, tall hands low walking in literally a straight line lastnight with near zilch side to side, head movement..and its going to get him burned. I'm telling ya.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    It says alot when a guy is boasting about being a "three time champion at only 23" and being mentioned in the same sentences as greats but in the next breath all you hear is he's young and still green, has time to develope etc etc. It shines a light on exactly how shallow trinkets are. Its obviously not that he is an outstanding flawless fighter, he's just not. The mention of him in the same sentence with Mayweather is embarrassing..and Mayweather is low on my list of favorites. He like Berto has a huge risk of needing to learn on the job once he gets into the REAL fights against top tier threats. He is doing it backwards, and once you are on the mount, mentally the way he thinks of himself etc and at a peak network exposure you don't get a do'over to face lesser guys and improve. He is playing with fire with that God think, tall hands low walking in literally a straight line lastnight with near zilch side to side, head movement..and its going to get him burned. I'm telling ya.
    Flash Garcia or Bam Bam Rios hurts him...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again, I was wrong to count Paulie out. I'll eat crow on that. I don't rate Paulie highly. I think someone who was touted as the heir apparent to Floyd Mayweather would do better against a person of Paulie's caliber. At the same time, for a 23 year old, Broner did well. He'll be a good talent in and around the welterweight division. He's vulnerable too and clearly not unbeatable, which will make for fun match-ups.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Without going into details and giving everyone food for thought on this forum, people like Broner are as the Late James Brown sang on one of his songs,"talking Loud and saying nothing." When you try too hard to be great sometimes you are just masking your fear and sometimes the louder someone is, the less great he appears but he got the decision and let us see who he is scheduled to fight next. Maybe he is the guy that throws stones in a glass house or maybe this was a confidence building fight. when I was a child I heard a story about a man with no arms telling a man with no legs he was going to punch him in the mouth and the guy with no legs threatened to kick the ass of his adversary. The blind man holding a cup tea took a seat and said,"This shit I must see." In time we'll all see so there will be loads of fights between now and then you see!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We cant answer this question until he has reired because he may have just had a bad night which doesnt mean he has been over rated.

Did i think he would do a worse job than a washed up hatton dd to prime Malignaggi? No but there will be other nights o prove himself. If that is an indication of what level hes at then hes got alot of improving to do

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know people are going to be tempted to shit all over Broner because he went to a split decision with Paulie, a guy who was dominated by Khan and Hatton. And I realize that people are going to nitpick his entire career from now until he retires because, like Floyd Mayweather, he is a genuine asshole outside of the ring.

But there's no escaping the fact that this is a 23 year old kid with extraordinary talent and physical attributes. This is a special kid who has the potential to carry boxing in the post-Mayweather/Pacquaio era (that is probably only a few short years away). He's young: he's going to have the "growing pains" of fighting guys with different styles (say what you want about Paulie, but he's slick as grease) and having to figure them out. I've seen Floyd struggle against guys early on in his career that were complete nobodies. And I've seen him have tough fights with guys that were considered journeymen (Emanuel Augustus). Same thing with Ray Leonard and a bunch of other greats. So giving up a few rounds to grizzled vets like Paulie and De Leon at this age, I don't think that's so awful.

His big problem, of course, is his ego and bravado in the ring. Going into that shell and letting guys tee off on him: he needs to realize that even though they aren't hurting him, they're stealing rounds. I've never seen Floyd just give away rounds just defending, he's always used his great defense to set up offense. But I'm very excited about Broner, he's a young, talented, EXCITING fighter.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And that's not even mentioning the fact that Broner was jumping TWO weight divisions and fighting a champ. Put that in context: name someone else in boxing that you'd pick right now to jump TWO weight divisions and beat one of the champions (for argument's sake, the weakest champ in the division even). That's an incredible feat unto itself.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the odds against Paulie were just outright insulting and I always knew Paulie would put up a fight as he should do against a man moving up two weight divisions. My only problem is that Paulie started a little too fast against a known slow starter. He could have done less to bank those first 4 rounds and be fresher later.

Having said that, Broner is definitely overrated, but I have never rated him. He clearly doesn't carry all that much power into this division and he is lazy. He takes so much time off in a 36 minute fight. Paulie did the best he can, but he doesn't have the power to make you respect him. Other fighters at 140/147 will do much better than Malignaggi based on power alone. Khan would bamboozle Broner, though probably get rocked his usual 3/4 times. Matthyse and Maidana would flatten him.

Broner/Judah would be a fair next fight and that would be interesting. Judah hates being stalked down, but there is no doubt that Judah could land his money punches through that leaky guard.

Next coming of Mayweather, my arse! Paulie landed over 200 punches. On that basis alone Ricky Hatton is more Floyd Mayweather than Adrien Broner.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Next coming of Mayweather, my arse! Paulie landed over 200 punches.
    Well if you take into account the fact that he threw nearly 850 punches against an opponent who stood right in front of him (often completely stationary) for 12 rounds, landing just over 200 punches isn't that big a deal.

We shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that Broner would let a guy like Matthyse tee off on him like he let Paulie. Very few of those 200 punches were clean, meaningful shots. And 0% of them could bust a grape.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Next coming of Mayweather, my arse! Paulie landed over 200 punches.
    Well if you take into account the fact that he threw nearly 850 punches against an opponent who stood right in front of him (often completely stationary) for 12 rounds, landing just over 200 punches isn't that big a deal.

We shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that Broner would let a guy like Matthyse tee off on him like he let Paulie. Very few of those 200 punches were clean, meaningful shots. And 0% of them could bust a grape.
    The point is obvious and it hasn't taken Malignaggi alone to show that Broners defence is porous as he gets hit a lot often. His defense just isn't very effective.

My point stands, Ricky Hatton is more Floyd Mayweather than Broner. By conceding 200+ punches I think a case can be made for Paulie getting the draw. No boxer risks losing rounds by letting an opponent tee off for fun and Broner did lose his share of the rounds.

The only explanation is that Broner doesn't have a sound defence and is easy to hit. Paulie just expanded on what DeLeon did. Broner has an obvious blueprint and someone with a bit of output AND pop will have him in trouble.

He is overrated and it will be fun if he does try to fight a meaningful opponent. It is all smoke and mirrors. He fought Malignaggi who is a likeable guy, but not proven top tier WW material. He has been walked through before and Broner couldn't do anything with him.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The point is obvious and it hasn't taken Malignaggi alone to show that Broners defence is porous as he gets hit a lot often. His defense just isn't very effective.

My point stands, Ricky Hatton is more Floyd Mayweather than Broner. By conceding 200+ punches I think a case can be made for Paulie getting the draw. No boxer risks losing rounds by letting an opponent tee off for fun and Broner did lose his share of the rounds.
    His defense is very effective. He stood right in front of a guy, unmoving, for 12 rounds and hardly got touched with anything. I can probably count on one hand how many times he got hit flush in the head.

A case can be made for Paulie getting a draw? Based on the number of punches he landed? This is the pros, not the amateurs. Fights aren't scored by who lands the most punches. I had money on Paulie and I still saw that Broner clearly won the fight.

Thread Information