Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do we agree, and admit, that we overrated Adrian Broner?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do we agree, and admit, that we overrated Adrian Broner?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    At least Broner is making things interesting, he could have stayed at lightweight and defended against a mandatory but instead does something unconventional and he should be praised for it.
    Burns wouldnt fight him so was very little point sticking around. But would have preferred him to go to 140 rather then 147 but guess they thought the holders at that weight are a little too dangerous for him

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    At least Broner is making things interesting, he could have stayed at lightweight and defended against a mandatory but instead does something unconventional and he should be praised for it.
    Burns wouldnt fight him so was very little point sticking around. But would have preferred him to go to 140 rather then 147 but guess they thought the holders at that weight are a little too dangerous for him
    They were all busy at 140lb so he thought he would go up a further weight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Call me a prick, and I'm sure many of you have in the past, but I actually thought Paulie boxed as well as, if not better, than Broner. Broner won the fight (on my card by a round), which was close by the way, on his power.

I also thought Paulie laid the blueprint on how to beat Broner. It's pretty simple: Move and jab to the body. Until Broner learns to throw a jab, moving laterally keeps him off balance and unable to get off his punches. He stalked Paulie, but rarely could tee off on Paulie, like he had with Rees and DeMarco. In fact, how many combinations did Broner throw?

His defense and his counter right hand are pretty much what Broner brings to the table.

I think to be fair we have to take into consideration that Broner is only 23. I 100% get that. The problem is that the boxing media, Ring Magazine especially, considered him the second coming, which we now know, is clearly not the case.

The other part of it is that Broner himself believes he is the second coming. Even after the fight, he continued to say, I'll fight anyone, but not Floyd because they are buddies. Man, if Paulie Malignaggi gave you problems, you don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breadth as Floyd Mayweather. You're not facing Floyd because you don't deserve the fight.

How many other people agree that Devon Alexander would box Broner's ears off?

I actually think Maidana is the kind of fighter that Broner might do well against, assuming he can take Maidana's punching power, which by the way, I still don't completely think has translated at 147 on the same level as it did at 40.

Sorry for the rant, Gentlemen, but I am rant-catrat.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Alexander could easily outbox him too but it could be another Randall Bailey fight. I'd rather eat my own eyes than watch that again.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Is that really such a big deal?
    I don't know, is it? Name ONE guy you'd pick to go up two weight classes right now and beat a champ at that weight.
    There are currently around 80 belt holders. Name them and I'm pretty sure we'll find several fighters that could step up two weight classes.
    I agree there are some who could do it but do they have the balls to actually try? We know Broner does.
    I just wish his mouth was smaller than his balls.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think fighting Malignaggj when you are on the cusp of P4P list qualifies a balls. I would think it takes more balls to get in the ring with PDL no matter the weight.

Anyways, I will try not to judge to harshly but Broner literally slept through that fight. It was as unimpressive of a "title" win as I've ever seen. He will not beat many people fighting on such awkward footing. He rarely put himself in position to counter especially to the body. He had no answers except to just take the body shots because they came from Malignaggi. He also can't move laterally! He's not developing and is probably regressing instead.

How many people are lighter hitters than Paulie? I can't think. Even Winky and Whitaker had enough pop to get people's respect.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    I don't think fighting Malignaggj when you are on the cusp of P4P list qualifies a balls. I would think it takes more balls to get in the ring with PDL no matter the weight.

Anyways, I will try not to judge to harshly but Broner literally slept through that fight. It was as unimpressive of a "title" win as I've ever seen. He will not beat many people fighting on such awkward footing. He rarely put himself in position to counter especially to the body. He had no answers except to just take the body shots because they came from Malignaggi. He also can't move laterally! He's not developing and is probably regressing instead.

How many people are lighter hitters than Paulie? I can't think. Even Winky and Whitaker had enough pop to get people's respect.
    Bang on. I was trying to think of that earlier as well, nobody with any kind of standing in the sport has been as feather fisted for ages unless I'm just gapping out. Combine that with the fact that he is no bigger than BRoner at all, and it really doesn't make the weight jump anything special. Winky and Pernell hit WAY harder than Malignaggi, doesn't even need to be said. They obviously weren't powerful but nobody ever dreamed of just giving them a target, they could've hurt anybody they ever fought in the case. Both of those guys gave up way more size than Broner did to Paulie on many occasions as well obviously. I do wonder what the hell Broners game plan will be when he fights a welterweight who can get his respect. Based on last night he's up shits creek imo.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Paulie can't punch worth a shit, he's probably the most pathetic punching "champion" in boxing history, but say what you will about him he's a solid fighter and he's only been beaten by prime Cotto, Hatton and Khan (the first Juan Diaz decision was BS). He's a slick, crafty guy who's beaten a lot of solid fighters.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    I don't know, is it? Name ONE guy you'd pick to go up two weight classes right now and beat a champ at that weight.
    There are currently around 80 belt holders. Name them and I'm pretty sure we'll find several fighters that could step up two weight classes.
    I agree there are some who could do it but do they have the balls to actually try? We know Broner does.
    Balls? He got $1.5m for fighting Paulie. There's not a fighter alive, barring the small percent of super earners, that would turndown over a million dollars to fight Paulie.

In fact - I guarantee there are literally hundreds of fighters that would fight Wlad for $1.5m regardless of the fact they'll get a beating.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Balls? He got $1.5m for fighting Paulie. There's not a fighter alive, barring the small percent of super earners, that would turndown over a million dollars to fight Paulie.

In fact - I guarantee there are literally hundreds of fighters that would fight Wlad for $1.5m regardless of the fact they'll get a beating.
    I'd fight Wlad for £100. Then cash in after spark him .
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post

I was reading plenty of excitement, during the fight, about how well Paulie was doing in many posts.
    You can talk all you want about money but it doesn't signify, Broner is making good money everytime he fights.
    Broner fights all the time--I like that about him--if fights aren't coming to him he goes looking for one.
    Everyone knows how Paulie won the title and everyone knows Broner was cherry picking poor totally overrated Paulie until Paulie made a fight out of it for 4 or 5 rounds. Anything can happen in a fight, so tell me the fighter you pick to step up two divisions and win a belt in the last half of 2013 or 2014.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If we're talking about work ethics, I still laude Donaire for the sheer amount of activity last year and some truly solid opponents and two..not so much. Though that can't be really helped.

Broner on the other hand...well PDL kicked his butt well and I honestly think he ran outa of his division so he wouldn't fight Vasquez, if you thought Paulie was slick then you really should see Vasquez run circles and jabs around his opponent. Broner reminds me of Vargas in a sense that he's got lead in his feet. The boxing gods have mercy on him if he ever fights Bradley as I think he's far better at lateral movement than Alexander is.

Thread Information