Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we agree, and admit, that we overrated Adrian Broner?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Do we agree, and admit, that we overrated Adrian Broner?

He almost bit off more than he could chew in Paulie Malignaggi, which says a lot considering Khan & Hatton stopped Paulie, and Cotto beat him up. Paulie didn't look worse for wear last night either. Now we know for certain that Broner is no rare, once a decade talent, like a Mayweather, Marquez or a Pacquiao.

So, let's take a step back, and reevaluate Broner. Where does he go from here? Should he take a few years to develop his craft before making another run at the ephemeral p4p title? Maybe drop back down to 135? I would say 140, but I don't think he needs to be in the ring with a lot of the guys at 140 yet. Maybe he goes back to 135 and cleans out the division. Face Burns, Vasquez and the like. What do you say?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do we agree, and admit, that we overrated Adrian Broner?

Nope

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your comparison of Broner to Berto appears quite apt. Will Showtime make the same mistake that HBO made though and pay him millions of dollars to face cans before he faces a top competitor, and loses?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say so. I never thought Broner was the next coming or anything, but I thought he was a damn sight better than he showed last night.

Paulie made some interesting points in his post fight presser. He basically said that Broner was a lot less than he expected, he didn't hit hard at all and that he was a good fighter, but not good enough to carry boxing for the next decade or be the superstar he's being hyped as. Difficult to disagree too much with what he says imo.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Comparing Broner to Berto is ap now? This is just foolish.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Just in the sense of Berto was getting paid millions of dollars to face guys who shouldn't be on HBO. Broner was paid $1.5MM to face Paulie Malignaggi, a 32-year old version of Paulie too. Paulie's last opponent was paid $150k to put it in perspective.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Both rushed to the spotlight, over payed and steered very carefully into early trinket matches with so so opponents. Talented but a bit manufactured and groomed..in Broners case literally after a fight. Both flawed in footwork with defensive lapses and both way too hyped up by the networks. When they both finally had a "break out name" fight...layed somewhat of an egg and the luster came off. Oh and of course Al Haymon productions.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They are nothing alike style wise at all. That is what I'm commenting on.

Addicted to_boxing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Nope
    Broner proved nothing except he is a lttle punk / piece of shit. Displayed he does not have the power to keep a Maidana, Mathysse , Garcia Pac or JMM off of him. Perfect opponent in pillow mitts Malanaggi. Simply did not throw enough punches to win the title in the champions backyard. Will not rule 140 or 147 weight class. He is best served fighting at 135. I would love to see Broner fight Bradley , he would make the punk gas out in ring. Devon Alexander would out skill this piece of shit .

Addicted to_boxing Guest

Cool Re: Do we agree, and admit, that we overrated Adrian Broner?

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    He almost bit off more than he could chew in Paulie Malignaggi, which says a lot considering Khan & Hatton stopped Paulie, and Cotto beat him up. Paulie didn't look worse for wear last night either. Now we know for certain that Broner is no rare, once a decade talent, like a Mayweather, Marquez or a Pacquiao.

So, let's take a step back, and reevaluate Broner. Where does he go from here? Should he take a few years to develop his craft before making another run at the ephemeral p4p title? Maybe drop back down to 135? I would say 140, but I don't think he needs to be in the ring with a lot of the guys at 140 yet. Maybe he goes back to 135 and cleans out the division. Face Burns, Vasquez and the like. What do you say?
    I say you are absolutely right!!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

I bet he moves down in weight before a serious challenger comes up. This fight was, yet again, about the lack of power of Paulie than it had to do with Broner making a good showing.

Paulie shouldn't even be in boxing IF he can't keep a guy off of him. And it seems as how he has gotten older, he has lost more power.... you can't any respect from anyone with that sorta stuff Paulie. Quit it.

But, this fight showed me a lot about Broner too- he won't fight a REAL live and hard hitting Welter or Jr. Welter EXCEPT for an ageing JMM (who is a small guy himself and bulked up) and a Tim Bradley who hits just as soft as Paulie does- but against Manny, Rios, Garcia, Khan, Thurman, Bailey, Provodnik- guys that can punch and take a punch- Broner won't last.

He is not the next great one. Sorry. I put more stock in Danny Garcia any day!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It says alot when a guy is boasting about being a "three time champion at only 23" and being mentioned in the same sentences as greats but in the next breath all you hear is he's young and still green, has time to develope etc etc. It shines a light on exactly how shallow trinkets are. Its obviously not that he is an outstanding flawless fighter, he's just not. The mention of him in the same sentence with Mayweather is embarrassing..and Mayweather is low on my list of favorites. He like Berto has a huge risk of needing to learn on the job once he gets into the REAL fights against top tier threats. He is doing it backwards, and once you are on the mount, mentally the way he thinks of himself etc and at a peak network exposure you don't get a do'over to face lesser guys and improve. He is playing with fire with that God think, tall hands low walking in literally a straight line lastnight with near zilch side to side, head movement..and its going to get him burned. I'm telling ya.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    It says alot when a guy is boasting about being a "three time champion at only 23" and being mentioned in the same sentences as greats but in the next breath all you hear is he's young and still green, has time to develope etc etc. It shines a light on exactly how shallow trinkets are. Its obviously not that he is an outstanding flawless fighter, he's just not. The mention of him in the same sentence with Mayweather is embarrassing..and Mayweather is low on my list of favorites. He like Berto has a huge risk of needing to learn on the job once he gets into the REAL fights against top tier threats. He is doing it backwards, and once you are on the mount, mentally the way he thinks of himself etc and at a peak network exposure you don't get a do'over to face lesser guys and improve. He is playing with fire with that God think, tall hands low walking in literally a straight line lastnight with near zilch side to side, head movement..and its going to get him burned. I'm telling ya.
    Flash Garcia or Bam Bam Rios hurts him...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again, I was wrong to count Paulie out. I'll eat crow on that. I don't rate Paulie highly. I think someone who was touted as the heir apparent to Floyd Mayweather would do better against a person of Paulie's caliber. At the same time, for a 23 year old, Broner did well. He'll be a good talent in and around the welterweight division. He's vulnerable too and clearly not unbeatable, which will make for fun match-ups.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Without going into details and giving everyone food for thought on this forum, people like Broner are as the Late James Brown sang on one of his songs,"talking Loud and saying nothing." When you try too hard to be great sometimes you are just masking your fear and sometimes the louder someone is, the less great he appears but he got the decision and let us see who he is scheduled to fight next. Maybe he is the guy that throws stones in a glass house or maybe this was a confidence building fight. when I was a child I heard a story about a man with no arms telling a man with no legs he was going to punch him in the mouth and the guy with no legs threatened to kick the ass of his adversary. The blind man holding a cup tea took a seat and said,"This shit I must see." In time we'll all see so there will be loads of fights between now and then you see!

Thread Information