Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Froch vs. Groves has been ordered by the IBF

Carl Froch vs. George Groves is Ordered By The IBF - Boxing News

If it happens, I won't be shocked if Groves takes it. He's alot better than people realise. Would really look forward to this if it happens.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Froch vs. Groves has been ordered by the IBF

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Carl Froch vs. George Groves is Ordered By The IBF - Boxing News

If it happens, I won't be shocked if Groves takes it. He's alot better than people realise. Would really look forward to this if it happens.
    Excellent!! Groves is my fav fighter right now, groves is very good,just needs to avoid the big lunging hooks.

He has an ok chin but he has good defences.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has Groves been seriously hurt by anyone yet? I've seen his last two fights or most of them and am quite impressed but he does seem to get a little overconfident at times, keeping his hands way down posturing a lot etc. Always really hard to know what that means when a guy is fighting such overmatched opponents though. No doubt he's got the goods offensively.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Has Groves been seriously hurt by anyone yet? I've seen his last two fights or most of them and am quite impressed but he does seem to get a little overconfident at times, keeping his hands way down posturing a lot etc. Always really hard to know what that means when a guy is fighting such overmatched opponents though. No doubt he's got the goods offensively.
    Kenny Anderson had him virtually out on his feet - and froch knocked him down in sparring - I really like groves too but think he will lose this

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didnt Paul Smith hurt him as well?

Having a weak chin isnt the end but its his maturity that will hurt him. Hasnt jad enough rounds with experienced fighters. Against Johnson he went balls out to try and stop him in the first and then went and got hurt himself near the end of the round and came nowhere near stopping him.

He has to learn that world class fighters, either current champs or seasoned journeymen are still fighting at the top of their game because they are tough and wont just fall over. I think this would be too soon for him. He would fight like he did against De Gale and stink the place out.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

Having a weak chin isnt the end but its his maturity that will hurt him. Hasnt jad enough rounds with experienced fighters. Against Johnson he went balls out to try and stop him in the first and then went and got hurt himself near the end of the round and came nowhere near stopping him.

He has to learn that world class fighters, either current champs or seasoned journeymen are still fighting at the top of their game because they are tough and wont just fall over. I think this would be too soon for him. He would fight like he did against De Gale and stink the place out.
    Kenny Anderson hurt him yes, but what does that tell you? He recovered from near knockout and stopped the guy. He's grown a lot since then.

Paul Smith, who can bang hit him hard, but it wasn't like he was out on his feet, he fought back and then destroyed Smith.

Groves has a brutal jab and a solid straight right, plus he's awkward to hit with the David Haye style ducking and weaving.

About a year ago I started a thread entitled "Is George Groves turning into David Haye"

Because the similarities they have, thanks to Adam Booth, are very apparent.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think that Groves is in the same class yet...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie has always rattled on about this being PPV, not sure it's ready for that yet, although if it goes ahead they clearly think it is.

Groves would fight for the vacant title if Froch dumped the belt or gets stripped. Then you have a PPV next year between two Brit "world" champions (considering Groves wins of course).

As for the fight - Groves has the class to win a title and beat world-class fighters but I can't see him beating Froch. He's improved a lot and looks much more solid now than when he was facing the likes of Anderson and DeGale. However, it still looks like man-vs-boy to me.
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-02-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearn said on world boxing news that they are in talks for a fight at the end of the year, but both fighters do have different options as well.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is a win win situation for Groves because a loss to Froch is not in the slightest bit a disgrace.

He won't drop far do wn the ranks if he loses, in fact he'd be unlucky if he dropped more than 2 or 3 spots, and he will still more than likely have another world title shot.

And if he wins, he's a world champion.

All the risk is with Froch.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Groves should try and win a title first from a lesser fighter if possible like the German that beat Abrahams. That would build his profile and experience for a challenge against Froch. This fight would be too soon.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On a side note, happy 36th birthday to the cobra!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

Kenny Anderson hurt him yes, but what does that tell you? He recovered from near knockout and stopped the guy. He's grown a lot since then.

Paul Smith, who can bang hit him hard, but it wasn't like he was out on his feet, he fought back and then destroyed Smith.

Groves has a brutal jab and a solid straight right, plus he's awkward to hit with the David Haye style ducking and weaving.

About a year ago I started a thread entitled "Is George Groves turning into David Haye"

Because the similarities they have, thanks to Adam Booth, are very apparent.
    He was in a lot of trouble with Smith he was just lucky that it was so late in the round. I like Groves but apart from DeGale he has been fighting people way down the ranks and nowhere near Frochs ability. I dont like Froch but Id say Froch stops Groves pretty easily.

Someone mentioned Stieglitz above. Id go for him next or if not him Bika. Both a step up and very beatable. I suppose the payday for the Froch fight would be hard to turn down.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    It is a win win situation for Groves because a loss to Froch is not in the slightest bit a disgrace.

He won't drop far do wn the ranks if he loses, in fact he'd be unlucky if he dropped more than 2 or 3 spots, and he will still more than likely have another world title shot.

And if he wins, he's a world champion.

All the risk is with Froch.
    Although I cant get the picture out of my head that @Fenster drew of a man fighting a boy I also think you make a great point. Losing might even help him in more ways then one. It really is a win/win and if he manages to beat him the worlds kind of his oyster. I'm inclined to believe that his team probably thinks along the lines of Fenster and they might pass which imo nobody can shit on him for doing.

At least I know now what Stevenson's plans are. He's obviously staying at 175.

Thread Information