Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Floyd Mayweather bashed Manny Pacquiao for fighting at catchweights

Floyd Mayweather bashed Manny Pacquiao for fighting several much bigger opponents at catchweights.

But Floyd demanded that the slightly bigger Saul Alvarez fight him at a catchweight of 152, even though Floyd has fought at 154 in the past.

Doesn't that make Floyd a hypocrite?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd Mayweather bashed Manny Pacquiao for fighting at catchweights

This is a he said she said thing. People need to put things into perspective. Floyds a welter and I don't care how many times he has fought at 154. Alvarez weighed more against Trout then GGG did against Macklin. According to reports I've seen it was the Alvarez team that offered the 152 and Alvarez's team suggest that Floyd asked for 150. GBP on record seem to agree on Floyds take on the situation and since they promote both guys I tend to agree with them.

Floyd does not have a history of asking guys to come down unlike the other guy you mentioned.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what does it matter everyone knows canelo is going to weigh in at 154 anyway and just pay the penalty floyd knows it 2

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The point is moot. The guy edges close to being a light-heavyweight at fight time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    The point is moot. The guy edges close to being a light-heavyweight at fight time.
    I agree. The guys Floyd fought at 154 also fought at 147 and 140 before so they weren't naturally that much bigger, Canelo on the other hand, is a pure 154 pounder, and he has the ability to fight at 160 easily maybe even 168. Some of the fights there asking Floyd to take like Golovkin I think are crazy! We have to remember Floyd is really not a big guy, just imagine Pacqiou in there vs Canelo? that would be ridiculous. So I understand why he asked for a catchweight, giving the guy whose given the opportunity all the advantages is ridicoulous, remember what delahoya did when he gave Floyd the opportunity? he chose all the terms.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Floyd Mayweather bashed Manny Pacquiao for fighting several much bigger opponents at catchweights.

But Floyd demanded that the slightly bigger Saul Alvarez fight him at a catchweight of 152, even though Floyd has fought at 154 in the past.

YES.....the tough news is for Floyd that Golovkin insists that he can still make 154

Ray Robinson fought at Light heavyweight so I don't think asking too much of Floyd to actually fight at 154 when Canelo is the title holder at 154. Hell Floyd asked for a catchweight vs JMM and then disreguarded it.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 07-02-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

YES.....the tough news is for Floyd that Golovkin insists that he can still make 154

Ray Robinson fought at Light heavyweight so I don't think asking too much of Floyd to actually fight at 154 when Canelo is the title holder at 154. Hell Floyd asked for a catchweight vs JMM and then disreguarded it.
    Lets just continue to raise the weight bar for this guy at the twilight of his career in the hopes that he just gets beat regardless of the playing field eh. Shit kicked by any means doable.

Robinson had already grown into middleweight when he fought Maxim and Maxim was not weighing in at 160 for a middleweight fight and then coming in at 180. Same when Greb fought Tunney. That was an original 8 era and Greb fought all over the place and Tunney never weighed 220 after the weigh in. The degree to which weight in manipulated in this 17 division era is unprecedented.

People have also tried to draw parallels to Manny/Cotto and its not the same thing. First this was apparently offered to Floyd and second Cotto was not some massive welterweight and that 2 pounds may have made the difference. If not then why did Manny not ask for a catch against Clottey who was by far the biggest welter in the division?

Everybody knew including Marquez that Floyd was not going to come in at 144 and that's why they had him sign the 300 grand a pound rule. Floyd is also a trinket holder at 154 and has transcended the sport as far as the gate goes.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I though Canelo was asked in an interview about making 152lb and he said he was not required to do so.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep a hypocrite for sure but hey Manny turned down testing vs Floyd and JMM than demanded testing from Rios, guys like Floyd and Manny have to much control over potential opponents, also I'll say this no one calls Floyd the king of 154 and no sane competent fan will. Manny won his welter belt at a catch weigh but Manny fans claim he was the king of 147 when frankly Manny has 1 quality win against a true welterweight at the welterweight limit of 147.
    Last edited by Onetime; 07-02-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm usually the one to defend Floyd, because due to his general unlikability, people usually take unfair shots at him.

But in this instance it's right to bash him, because if memory serves me right he bashed Pacquiao for making Cotto come down a few pounds to a catch weight. So he's being a hypocrite.

El Kabong Guest

There's so much gamesmanship that goes on with these guys, I mean just fucking pick 1 set of rules, follow them, fight, and shut the fuck up about it. Catchweights are ridiculous when used by ANYONE....how many more divisions does boxing need?

@IamInuit I want to see Golovkin vs Mayweather simply because of the fact it is so dangerous for Floyd. Great fighters fight dangerous opponents and if Floyd has 4 fights left after this one then Golovkin must certainly be on the radar! Golovkin has to beat Martinez and do so in dominant fashion and then still be able to get to 154 for a fight vs Floyd so it might be unlikely but I want to see it, I want pure boxer vs devastating puncher a la Leonard-Hagler or Leonard-Hearns.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's so much gamesmanship that goes on with these guys, I mean just fucking pick 1 set of rules, follow them, fight, and shut the fuck up about it. Catchweights are ridiculous when used by ANYONE....how many more divisions does boxing need?

@IamInuit I want to see Golovkin vs Mayweather simply because of the fact it is so dangerous for Floyd. Great fighters fight dangerous opponents and if Floyd has 4 fights left after this one then Golovkin must certainly be on the radar! Golovkin has to beat Martinez and do so in dominant fashion and then still be able to get to 154 for a fight vs Floyd so it might be unlikely but I want to see it, I want pure boxer vs devastating puncher a la Leonard-Hagler or Leonard-Hearns.
    Asking a guy who is smaller than nearly every junior welter to fight a guy who is a threat to 168, pounders is just to much. Especially when the opponent brings no money.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Onetime View Post
    Asking a guy who is smaller than nearly every junior welter to fight a guy who is a threat to 168, pounders is just to much. Especially when the opponent brings no money.
    Golovkin doesn't NEED Mayweather and vice versa but Golovkin has said he wants the fight. IF Golovkin was to blast out Martinez (which there is a distinct possibility he could) then there would be a more momentum behind such a fight. Right now Golovkin can get: Martinez, Geale, JC Jr, Quillen, Alvarez, Trout, Lara, Martirosyan, Ward, Froch, etc....so there's plenty for him to keep busy with.

As a fan I would just like to see the fight because there's more than a hint of danger to it and that would mean Floyd would be at his very best

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onetime View Post
    Asking a guy who is smaller than nearly every junior welteo fight a guy who is a threat to 168, pounders is just to much. Especially when the opponent brings no money.
    Golovkin doesn't NEED Mayweather and vice versa but Golovkin has said he wants the fight. IF Golovkin was to blast out Martinez (which there is a distinct possibility he could) then there would be a more momentum behind such a fight. Right now Golovkin can get: Martinez, Geale, JC Jr, Quillen, Alvarez, Trout, Lara, Martirosyan, Ward, Froch, etc....so there's plenty for him to keep busy with.

As a fan I would just like to see the fight because there's more than a hint of danger to it and that would mean Floyd would be at his very best
    GGG can not get those fights, he's under contract to HBO so no Golden or Haymon fighters, I would also say Bob isn't going to give up his guys to GGG. Rosado got 150,000 for GGG those guys you listed won't fight a bum for that much less a threat like GGG. You should look at Martinez's career, he was stripped of 3 world titles in 10 months, boxing is going to screw GGG trust me on that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thread Information