Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Best way to increase you ability to take a very heavy punch?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Best way to increase you ability to take a very heavy punch?

Can you improve on my program?

Cardio aplenty helps you come to much faster if you are knocked out for a second.

Neck exercises I do neck curls and neck extensions.

I chew bubble gum.

I keep my hands up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best way to increase you ability to take a very heavy punch?

Keep pumping your neck man, that's the best thing, Mike, FLoyd, toney all pumped there neck and take a tremendous punch. and work your legs, legs are very important and overall physical strength and condition of your body. There is a story about an ancient soldier who would pump his neck to the point of being able to pump it off tree branches, and when the gernal in the army punched him, he broke his hand.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Know; that when you over commit to a shot thats when the counter is coming for you. If you know it, its less of a shock and also more chance you'll look for it, so it wont be unseen.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4life View Post
    Keep pumping your neck man, that's the best thing, Mike, FLoyd, toney all pumped there neck and take a tremendous punch. and work your legs, legs are very important and overall physical strength and condition of your body. There is a story about an ancient soldier who would pump his neck to the point of being able to pump it off tree branches, and when the gernal in the army punched him, he broke his hand.

Do you mean neck bridges and stuff like that?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The best way is to avoid even taking a shot!

Keep an eye on What your opponent is doing. Most KO's come from when a fighter is so engrossed in throwing that a shot comes in that he didn't see and then he's on his ass. Look at Fury and Prices last 2 fights.

Eubank used to ride them, turning his head as it was coming to take the sting out. Thats about as good as you can do. People like Air Khan could have Mike Tysons neck transplanted on to them but they will still have shit punch resistance. It must have something to do with the fluid around the brain itself, maybe a tough man will have more so it acts as a shock absorber, or he has less so it doesn't rattle around as much? Who knows but iv seen fighters with weak looking necks that take good shots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cambay411 View Post

Yes , look up some wrestlers neck exercise on youtube, tyson did them, you can also buy a neck harness that floyd has with attachable weight, i do both and it works

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cambay411 View Post

Yes , look up some wrestlers neck exercise on youtube, tyson did them, you can also buy a neck harness that floyd has with attachable weight, i do both and it works

Thanks for the info

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi OMGWTF,
    Below is a video interview of George Chuvalo (a former heavyweight contender with a legendary ability to take hard shots) where he explains the factors behind his great chin.

Beneath that is the transcription of the interview. Anyway, what he so eloquently delineates should more than answer your question. Enjoy...

Take Care,
    Lito

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Chuvalo - Explains His Great Chin

George Louis Chuvalo, (September 12, 1937)
    "A lot of people talk about my ability to take a punch, and there are some things physically that you are born with that enable you to do certain things better than some other people, there is a reason why certain people run faster, there is a reason why somebody perhaps is stronger than someone else, there is also a reason why somebody can punch harder than someone else, there is also a reason why someone can take a punch better than someone else.

And physically, when I look at myself and I try to analyze it, one of the reason is I have a very short neck. And when you have a short neck that works to your advantage and why, if I had a neck like a stack of dimes, I can able to punch, my brain will be more leveled – will reverberate, more able to be rattled. Having a short neck gives me that distinct advantage. Also, I think I still have a pretty thick neck, but when I was younger I had a thicker neck.

I used to work a lot developing my neck muscles, my whole shoulder girdle. And what I realized was at a young age was that a boxer should be like a football player, they are both contact sports and always stands to reason that if a football player trains to meet out punishment and also to absorb punishment, that same philosophy should be in the boxing game. If I am trained to meet out punishment, I should also be training to absorb punishment.

So, I had worked hard, trying to work on heavy bag, work on spine, work on developing my hitting muscles, I should also work on the muscles that help absorb punishment. So, I work a lot with my shoulder girdle, I worked a lot on my neck muscles. I should stand on my head there for half an hour and move my head forward and backwards side to side and so sometimes – I would be on the phone for half an hour, talking on the phone and doing my neck exercises.
    I used to also chew a lot of bubble gum, Double Bubble or whatever. I used to have – when I was – I used to have protruding jaw muscles when I was younger, not so much when I am older. And I think all those things helped me take a punch, I think I can naturally take a punch for a lot of good reasons. At first, I have a bigger head, most of guys I think have a fairly thick skull, I think that helps. I mean, it only stands true. If you got a small head, you’re not going to able to same kind of shot, because your bone structure isn’t there.

If you have a heavy bone structure, it works in your favor and I – that’s kind of head I have. I also have a short neck and I also worked on my absorbing punch muscles, my neck and my jaw. So, that worked to my advantage. And maybe who knows about nerve endings, maybe there are other things in there that you don’t really know about. But all I know I could – that I could take a shot a lot better than most guys for sure and that helped me. And plus, I was a much better fighter defensively than I was able to give them credit for. To be honest with you, that I got to pat myself on the back the way people said, what, are you kidding; you are a defensive fighter, yeah.

I had very few punches on the vulnerable parts of my jaw, of my – of my cranium, most times I got hit on the head which is higher up, I wouldn’t take pain and punches or more of the vulnerable parts of my cranium so to speak. So, I got hit high on the head, most of the shots in, I got hit with, I never got hit too many shots around the jaw area, not really, up higher my head around my eyes maybe, around my forehead, but not down here, not this part of my jaw, not on the jaw, so to speak. And I was lucky that way, and plus also the fact that I blocked a lot more punches that I was ever given credit for.

Because I think if I got hit with one-tenth of the punches people thought I got hit with, the one-tenth of punches that I was supposed to been hit with, I would be in pretty bad shape, I would be in pretty bad shape, but fortunately that didn’t happen and for a fighter I am glad that I am able to speak and that people can still understand me. And that they think, hey George, you are not too bad for a fighter, you are okay for a fighter, you can speak okay for a fighter, so I’ll take that."

Thread Information