*Me in the red*

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 7th boxing match *Video*

You 'walk' a lot in the ring, crossing your feet almost every time you move. Once you get in the ring, you don't move that way except for very specific purposes.
    You aren't doing yourself any favors fighting as a southpaw. About 90% of the punches you throw are left hands- you'd be better off having that activity from your lead hand. That lead hand has to be able to jab, hook, hook off the jab, double up on the hook, throw uppercuts, an uppercut then hook behind it, etc... 80% of what the rear hand does is defensive- catching punches, parrying, etc...-if you are doing this properly, and learning the punches would be a lot easier than trying to teach your right hand all that it needs to learn to be your lead hand.
    In this era of boxing too many guys are trying to fight southpaw, thinking they'll get away with something- I think- and have an advantage in being able to land the left hand. Well, it isn't as easy as it looks and it does require a great deal of work with your right hand as well. In almost every case you are better with a strong lead hand than strong rear hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    You 'walk' a lot in the ring, crossing your feet almost every time you move. Once you get in the ring, you don't move that way except for very specific purposes.
    You aren't doing yourself any favors fighting as a southpaw. About 90% of the punches you throw are left hands- you'd be better off having that activity from your lead hand. That lead hand has to be able to jab, hook, hook off the jab, double up on the hook, throw uppercuts, an uppercut then hook behind it, etc... 80% of what the rear hand does is defensive- catching punches, parrying, etc...-if you are doing this properly, and learning the punches would be a lot easier than trying to teach your right hand all that it needs to learn to be your lead hand.
    In this era of boxing too many guys are trying to fight southpaw, thinking they'll get away with something- I think- and have an advantage in being able to land the left hand. Well, it isn't as easy as it looks and it does require a great deal of work with your right hand as well. In almost every case you are better with a strong lead hand than strong rear hand.
    I am born left handed, southpaw is my natural stance.
    And thanks for the info I will work on it

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are fighting as a southpaw, you are killing your ability to land effective punches by fighting in straight lines. You really need to learn how to circle, especially to your right. Back when I first started boxing the saying was that a jabbing and stepping southpaw is real hard to beat. By doing that you are making your opponent back/turn in such a way that he opens himself up to your straight left, and you are in a position to land it. Unless, of course, he is smart enough to get low and turn with you like James Toney did to Michael Nunn, but that is a different subject...
    The punch that makes a southpaw really effective is the right hook. You can create angles and shoot that left hand, but that right hook comes from no where, and you can set it up off his straight right, which is the 'text-book' punch against a leftie. Of course, if he's smart he's going to be looking to time your left hand with his left hook in the same manner. If you watch Pac, he shoots that left hand, but when he is looking to hurt you, it is the right hook that does it. This is true of other southpaws going back to Tracy Spann, Andy Ganigan, Chiquita Gonzalez, Hagler and Moorer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are fighting as a southpaw, you are killing your ability to land effective punches by fighting in straight lines. You really need to learn how to circle, especially to your right. Back when I first started boxing the saying was that a jabbing and stepping southpaw is real hard to beat. By doing that you are making your opponent back/turn in such a way that he opens himself up to your straight left, and you are in a position to land it. Unless, of course, he is smart enough to get low and turn with you like James Toney did to Michael Nunn, but that is a different subject...
    The punch that makes a southpaw really effective is the right hook. You can create angles and shoot that left hand, but that right hook comes from no where, and you can set it up off his straight right, which is the 'text-book' punch against a leftie. Of course, if he's smart he's going to be looking to time your left hand with his left hook in the same manner. If you watch Pac, he shoots that left hand, but when he is looking to hurt you, it is the right hook that does it. This is true of other southpaws going back to Tracy Spann, Andy Ganigan, Chiquita Gonzalez, Hagler and Moorer.
    Thats verry great info thanks, when I watched the video I notice that my punches are not always extend that there not reaching him and I pull them away to early. And like you said the footwork is not really good, you got more tips for that? grtz

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You want to start by establishing your balance, and that nothing affects that balance. Get your feet under your shoulders and start moving, forward then back, using small, sliding steps. Then start circling. When you circle to your right, slide the right foot over a couple inches then pivot on it. My suggestion for circling to your left is different from most, in that I recommend moving your front foot first, sliding it over maybe an inch and a half (so your feet don't cross) then pivoting. When you are comfortable moving like that, move around throwing punches, just moving your hands and not letting it affect your balance.
    Then you want to coordinate the movements of your hands and feet; when the right foot moves, the right hands moves, and the same with the left side. You do the same movements as described above. But when the right foot slides forward, you jab. When you bring the left foot up (and you ALWAYS bring the left foot with you) you throw the left hand. Same thing when you circle, in either direction, right foot, right jab, left foot, left hand. When you do this you'll see why I suggest circling left by moving the right foot first.
    When you pivot, especially, you want to avoid having all your weight on the front leg. This is true of footwork in general. The weight is more back than front because all the force and drive comes from the back leg; the front leg only determines direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You want to start by establishing your balance, and that nothing affects that balance. Get your feet under your shoulders and start moving, forward then back, using small, sliding steps. Then start circling. When you circle to your right, slide the right foot over a couple inches then pivot on it. My suggestion for circling to your left is different from most, in that I recommend moving your front foot first, sliding it over maybe an inch and a half (so your feet don't cross) then pivoting. When you are comfortable moving like that, move around throwing punches, just moving your hands and not letting it affect your balance.
    Then you want to coordinate the movements of your hands and feet; when the right foot moves, the right hands moves, and the same with the left side. You do the same movements as described above. But when the right foot slides forward, you jab. When you bring the left foot up (and you ALWAYS bring the left foot with you) you throw the left hand. Same thing when you circle, in either direction, right foot, right jab, left foot, left hand. When you do this you'll see why I suggest circling left by moving the right foot first.
    When you pivot, especially, you want to avoid having all your weight on the front leg. This is true of footwork in general. The weight is more back than front because all the force and drive comes from the back leg; the front leg only determines direction.
    How do I set my foot, both on my tips? Or only back on my tip of toe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm so disappointed my trainer don't tell me all this

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The front foot is 'mostly' flat, but you are real light on the heel. If that makes sense? The heel barely touches. The back foot is on the ball of the foot, heel up, and the more you can point it at your opponent, the better.

Thread Information