Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RollingStone crossed the line imo

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: RollingStone crossed the line imo

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I think the purpose of the "regular guy" picture was to reiterate the frightening possibility of "home-grown" terrorism perpetrated by your everyday normal "boy next door". I don't object the choice of picture: people know what he did and the horror he caused. I think the article's purpose is to go beyond the acts and examine what inspires a "normal", fun loving guy like Dzhokhar to do something so horrific.

Now whether or not it belongs on the cover is certainly debatable.
    Is Rolling Stone the magazine that has the depth, the knowledge, and the gravitas to ask such questions?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest, I'm not a Rolling Stone reader. If the article turns out to be complete exploitative garbage, then I think they deserve the shit storm they get. But from what I've read of their intentions, I don't see anything wrong with going for what they are going for.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetime View Post
    Rolling Stone does very good hard news, I use to be a subscriber and every issue would have a story on Bush and they would have dumb quotes by politicians.

It's funny because the picture was used in other places and no one cared.
    Yeah that's just about the way they do things...malign and ridicule the Right in an attempt to silence them.
    That's like me getting mad at Fox News

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To me, saying that they needed to use an unflattering picture of him is agenda-driven in itself, and almost a form of censorship. The public aren't stupid, they remember the horrible thing that he did. But the fact is, he was a normal kid who was well liked, had friends and did and liked what most 20 year olds do.

And I usually shit on the media for intentionally using the most sinister/ominous pictures they can find. Just like they did with Zimmerman and Trayvon: sinister, mean looking pictures for Zimmerman. Innocent, baby-faced pics of Trayvon.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    To me, saying that they needed to use an unflattering picture of him is agenda-driven in itself, and almost a form of censorship. The public aren't stupid, they remember the horrible thing that he did. But the fact is, he was a normal kid who was well liked, had friends and did and liked what most 20 year olds do.

And I usually shit on the media for intentionally using the most sinister/ominous pictures they can find. Just like they did with Zimmerman and Trayvon: sinister, mean looking pictures for Zimmerman. Innocent, baby-faced pics of Trayvon.
    You seen the picture Fox using for Zimmerman he's smiling all fat

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So. Who has actually read the article?

El Kabong Guest

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev: Jahar's World | Culture News | Rolling Stone

One of the most liberal and intellectually sophisticated cities in the U.S., Cambridge is also one of the most ethnically and economically diverse.

.....I hope they didn't strain anything patting themselves on the back

El Kabong Guest

"In terms of politics, I'd say he's just as anti-American as the next guy in Cambridge"

There you have it....fucking liberals

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't look at it as a right or left thing. I just view it as a right or wrong thing. Regardless of political stripes I just think its over the top. There is something wrong if the need to keep something antiquated afloat resorts to this kind of tactic. No doubt they may have broken a record in sales or perhaps increased stagnant sales generally but were the purchases made for the articles or the cover? At least when Manson appeared on the cover almost in Warhol fashion it was clear he was a psychopath. This mad bomber is depicted as a hipster Jim Morrison look alike with an expression in kind and almost victimized in parts of the article.

It all seems so schizophrenic.

El Kabong Guest

The point I was trying to make @IamInuit was that quote "In terms of politics, I'd say he's just as anti-American as the next guy in Cambridge" is something that was said in such a nonchalant manner but it evokes a very deep issue in America especially in terms of the politics of the youth in America and where does that come from? Most of those kids are not smart enough to research and figure out their own political stances they get it from TV and the internet and celebrities I am certain but my own personal issue is that teachers in the schools are teaching American kids to hate America...I know, I've been in classes with some of those professors who for no good reason bash the fuck out of this country. America isn't perfect no country is, but to cultivate self loathing and self hate.....that really bothers me as a citizen but as a human being too. Why would you hate yourself for being born in a certain place or a certain culture? Hating America doesn't change America....Dzokhar's bombing won't make America treat Muslims in other nations any differently and it will probably stoke an anti-Muslim sentiment in the Northeast rather than make people empathize with their supposed plight. Nothing in America got in the way of those Tsarnaev brothers practicing Islam, NOTHING, they are free to worship and live and prosper in America and what did they do? They let down their nonradical Muslim friends and family by bombing the marathon. They too cultivated hate, and that won't serve anyone well.

Dzohokhar Tsarnaev pictures: Dramatic new pictures of the moment Boston Bomber emerged from the boat | Mail Online

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    I don't look at it as a right or left thing. I just view it as a right or wrong thing. Regardless of political stripes I just think its over the top. There is something wrong if the need to keep something antiquated afloat resorts to this kind of tactic. No doubt they may have broken a record in sales or perhaps increased stagnant sales generally but were the purchases made for the articles or the cover? At least when Manson appeared on the cover almost in Warhol fashion it was clear he was a psychopath. This mad bomber is depicted as a hipster Jim Morrison look alike with an expression in kind and almost victimized in parts of the article.

and yet Manson never killed anyone.

Part of the point is he was one of us yet something changed.
    Not all terrorists are hook-handed, glass eyed loons

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What they should have done given a certain cities relevance to music historically as well as being the backbone of the NA car industry given its present state of affairs was a cover featuring Detroit.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post

and yet Manson never killed anyone.

Part of the point is he was one of us yet something changed.
    Not all terrorists are hook-handed, glass eyed loons
    I understand the point they are attempting to make and I am again disturbed by any hint of the normalcy of terrorists either directly or indirectly. I find the depiction odd and wrong on many levels with the first being in order to sell more copy. If people don't have a problem with it that's fine.

El Kabong Guest

What they should have done given a certain cities relevance to music historically as well as being the backbone of the NA car industry given its present state of affairs was a cover featuring Detroit.
    I'm thinking they didn't do that because an intellectually honest article on why Detroit went bankrupt would put Rolling Stone's writers, readers, etc own political views in the crosshairs and show why the policies they love are not the greatest. Detroit is a friggin sad story, it's tragic...it went from being a thriving city with the highest per capita income in the United States in 1961 to an absolute rundown shithole in a matter of 20 years and bankrupt shithole in 40 years!

The issue with the picture is that Rolling Stone intentionally chose a picture that made Dzokhar look like the lead singer of some 90's grunge band. Its a picture made to make Dzokhar look like a victim....he wasn't he made a conscious decision to do what he did and he can't suffer enough for it. I think perhaps a side-by-side of "Teen heart throb Dzokhar" and "Battered and Bloodied Terrorist Dzokhar" could have sent the message of "How did he get from being this kid to being this monster?" a little better.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

June 2013

MAY 2013

APRIL 2013

MARCH 2013

FEBRUARY 2013

DEC/JAN 2012/13

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information