Yup.....they want attention

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: RollingStone crossed the line imo

Why? Isn't it something we should examine as a society? I understand it's probably a shitty, sensationalist article designed to cause controversy and sell papers, but 'terrorists' are people just like anyone else and I think it's important to understand the type of conditions (social, political, psychological etc.) that lead to extremism.

I'd much rather see articles like this than just read quotes from fat, rich, white people crying 'they hate us for our FREEDOM!'.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, I thought you were talking about the RobinThicke thing

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Why? Isn't it something we should examine as a society? I understand it's probably a shitty, sensationalist article designed to cause controversy and sell papers, but 'terrorists' are people just like anyone else and I think it's important to understand the type of conditions (social, political, psychological etc.) that lead to extremism.

I'd much rather see articles like this than just read quotes from fat, rich, white people crying 'they hate us for our FREEDOM!'.
    I don't know its just seems a bit to rock star. I have no issues with the article itself.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

I don't know its just seems a bit to rock star. I have no issues with the article itself.
    It is, and I doubt Rolling Stone has done this in good taste or with objectives more noble than selling magazines. However, more discourse and understanding is never a bad thing, especially regarding an issue as important as this.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If it was in a broadsheet newspapers supplement maybe it would make sense, but selecting a posed shot with rock star connotations on the front of a magazine that usually reserves it's cover for celebrity musicians is pretty fucked up. He already has immpressionable and vacuous tweenage girls moping after him so pretending that Rolling Stone is a good place to analyse and reflect in an objective manner just doesn't cut it.

I was fully expecting to find an article about 'One Direction' which would have been sacrilegious enough but at least the crimes they have committed are only against music and their victims will get a chance to grow out of such an unfortunate phase.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Context is everything.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't want to understand him. It's a cheap whorish move to garner attention and sales geared towards an already existing younger demographic who will cult celeb this killer. Its blatantly transparent. They dont care about terrorism, they jumped at the fact that he "looks like us". Charlie Manson had supporters too and still receives fan mail. I have more respect for Broner shitting in a fast food joint and bragging he wipes with cash. It's at least money put to a better use compared to this.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 07-18-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have no issues with the cover. It is an image of a terrorist and within the context of the article makes complete sense. Rolling Stone has had plenty of non rock nutters on its cover in the past and is this no more that that. Rollingstone has excellent articles on all kinds of social issues and this is in that lineage.

"Oh but he looks likes a rock star". What do they want? The S and M gear, piercings, tattoos, and a face of pure hate? He was just a bloke and he isn't being glorified.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'terrorists' are people
    That would make a great T-Shirt.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

El Kabong Guest

Better that than fat rich white people trying to brow beat me into thinking America is inherently evil and the excess with which we live is evil and we should all repent for harming our Earth Mother or God forbid having a job that allows us to make money. Like that Billy Bragg and Michael Moore and Tom Morrello....FUUUUCK those bastards don't fucking preach to me about how hard other people have it when you're crapping out the most expensive beluga caviar while sitting on your golden toilet seats!

....I bet they say Johar was "bullied" into Radical Islam or some bullshit like that to make it seem like "Well, he just had no other choice than to become a terrorist" some haughty "Well white people just don't understand" sob story about how hard it is being not white in America and how we should all feel horrible for the way Johar was treated.....wouldn't surprise me if Matt Taibbi wrote some bullshit like that

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm kind of torn on this issue.

People bring up the fact that when you put a guy like Tsarnaev on the cover of the Rolling Stones, or name a guy like Luka Magnotta the "Newsmaker of the Year", you're really giving these guys what they want and encouraging these psychopathic fame-seekers to commit horrendous acts to achieve that notoriety. Essentially it's giving the psychopaths a world stage. And I'd agree with that assessment.

But on the other hand, it is the media's responsibility to report/write about/ect the most pressing and intriguing issues facing society, and like it or not, the Tsarnaev saga is an incredible story that had people on the edge of their seats internationally. The Newtown massacre had people mourning all over the globe, as did the Colorado movie shooting. As horrible as this stuff is, our natural reaction is to want answers. We want to know more about the perps and what would cause them to commit such horrible atrocities. I want to know what makes a priviledged kid want to shoot up a school, or a young university student who's seemingly so normal and ingrained in American culture suddenly participate in a 2-man war against the US. These issues really need to be examined.

But at the same time, I acknowledge that Rolling Stone is trying to drum up controversy with this move. Their motives aren't as pure as they'd like us to believe.

Thread Information