Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Andre Berto stop getting headlines now? Most overrated boxer in this time?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will Andre Berto stop getting headlines now? Most overrated boxer in this time?

I don't get it. I always thought this guy was a bum. In all his career he has only fought two undefeated fighters which were 4-0 and 7-0-1 very early in his career. He won the highly regarded WBC belt as vacant against Miguel Rodrigues 29-2.

People like to talk shit about fighters like Canelo but yet I never remember Berto getting that much shit for that. People kept talking about how impressed they were with him.

He then defended the belt against Steve Forbes -_-. He then stepped it up a bit and fought Luis Collazo 29-3 and he won a very controversial fight which many people including myself felt he lost and Collazo got robbed. I think it was like 113-114 but still a fight I thought he clearly lost.

He went on to beat urango and quintana good wins but not elite fighters that a WBC champion should be defending his belt against.

He finally got exposed by non other than Victor Ortiz who always finds a way to lose a fight he can win lol. Here it was regarded that the winner might get a chance at Floyd Mayweather. If I recall Floyd attended the fight I'm sure he expected to face Berto.

After the lost to Ortiz he got an immediate title belt IBF and headline.. seriously after a fucking lost? If chavez got this, this threads would be storming in here mad.

After that he once again got a big fight against Robert Guerrero on HBO headlining i believe. This fight once again lead to a Mayweather fight for the winner. As we know Berto got battered by the smaller guy he should of beat.

And now once again fight on headlines in Show time he got exposed by none other than Karras... Same guy that lost to Alfonso Gomez lol.

Like seriously how can he keep getting fights? and keep headlining? When are people gonna wake up to this bum?

He should earn his way back up to the headlines like other fighters. Send his ass to boxeo azteca or maybe FNF on espn. I'm just saying.. What do u guys think?
    Last edited by outspoken; 07-28-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did you see Ortiz-Berto or Berto-Zaveck? I can honestly say Berto gets more bullshit than he deserves. What you wanted him to turn down the huge HBO paydays? I'll never get what people wanted from him.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What the fuck is your problem? Are Berto fights not entertaining. Ortiz and Guerrero were fights of the year candidates and fight last night was good too. Should entertaining fighters not be shown more on tv then dull fighters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Andre Berto stop getting headlines now? Most overrated boxer in this time?

Berto has physical tools. I mean, if you saw how fast his punches were, you understand what people want from him.

Problem is, the dude doesn't move his head like he should, he pulls straight back (which allowed those straight rights to land), his foot movement is minimal, and he just plain can't win when he is in there with a guy who knows how to fight at the top level. He can overwhelm lesser opponents and get away with what he does wrong, but he can't do that when he is in with a real guy.

Virgil did an outstanding job in the corner last night... I can't say that I have been able to hear a trainer where I thought that the advice given was more relevant than I heard in that fight. Virgil was spot on with his instructions, and Berto did well when he followed instructions. Question is, is he capable of following instructions and breaking all of his bad habits? Probably not...

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Andre Berto stop getting headlines now? Most overrated boxer in this time?

I have enjoyed watching him in the past. I think after last night he might be at the end unless Showtime finds a way to market him..

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you always thought he was a bum, you're nuts.

People flock to guys like Berto because they have the physical tools to be truly great. There have been THOUSANDS of guys who have had tremendous boxing skill/knowledge, but they didn't have the physical tools (whether that was athleticism, the ability to take a punch, ect).

So when you see a guy like Andre with the kind of speed and power to do great things, you can't blame people for being optomistic about him.

Obviously he's turned into quite a flop.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I have enjoyed watching him in the past. I think after last night he might be at the end unless Showtime finds a way to market him..
    Yea... Berto is pretty much done for. I had high expectations for him. Thought he was robbed vs. Ortiz. But that's another story... he clearly ran out of gas and was stopped.

He is the new Zab Judah, but probably won't get as many chances as Zab got after Zab got beaten continuously!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Yea... Berto is pretty much done for. I had high expectations for him. Thought he was robbed vs. Ortiz. But that's another story... he clearly ran out of gas and was stopped.

He is the new Zab Judah, but probably won't get as many chances as Zab got after Zab got beaten continuously!
    Zab was the undisputed welterweight champion of the world and won two 140 pound belts, comparing the careers is laughable

3 of his losses are Floyd, Cotto and and Kosta hate when casuals dump on Zab.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre berto is a solid fighter he needs to stop trying to do the shoulder roll, put both hands up and fight like Tyson. Then he can make a comeback, but if he keeps trying to fight slick which he isn't he's just gonna keep getting his ass kicked.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I don't get it. I always thought this guy was a bum. In all his career he has only fought two undefeated fighters which were 4-0 and 7-0-1 very early in his career. He won the highly regarded WBC belt as vacant against Miguel Rodrigues 29-2.

People like to talk shit about fighters like Canelo but yet I never remember Berto getting that much shit for that. People kept talking about how impressed they were with him.

He then defended the belt against Steve Forbes -_-. He then stepped it up a bit and fought Luis Collazo 29-3 and he won a very controversial fight which many people including myself felt he lost and Collazo got robbed. I think it was like 113-114 but still a fight I thought he clearly lost.

He went on to beat urango and quintana good wins but not elite fighters that a WBC champion should be defending his belt against.

He finally got exposed by non other than Victor Ortiz who always finds a way to lose a fight he can win lol. Here it was regarded that the winner might get a chance at Floyd Mayweather. If I recall Floyd attended the fight I'm sure he expected to face Berto.

After the lost to Ortiz he got an immediate title belt IBF and headline.. seriously after a fucking lost? If chavez got this, this threads would be storming in here mad.

After that he once again got a big fight against Robert Guerrero on HBO headlining i believe. This fight once again lead to a Mayweather fight for the winner. As we know Berto got battered by the smaller guy he should of beat.

And now once again fight on headlines in Show time he got exposed by none other than Karras... Same guy that lost to Alfonso Gomez lol.

Like seriously how can he keep getting fights? and keep headlining? When are people gonna wake up to this bum?

He should earn his way back up to the headlines like other fighters. Send his ass to boxeo azteca or maybe FNF on espn. I'm just saying.. What do u guys think?
    Berto is a good fighter not a great fighter that many people thought he would be.But he deserves more credit than being called a bum my friend.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem is that people are now stuck in extremes with one or the other. You can box on a backfoot and not be dull..there is as much satisfaction snapping a guy around off sharp counters and busting him up as there is there is one bricking a guy and leaving him in a heap. Its ideal when we get it all in one. Berto is entertaining because he never refined physical gifts and basic foundation and when he finally got to the 'top' with guys who won't just fall over or play the foil he has no choice but to wear his heart on his sleeve, power up and get ground down. You can't learn backwards and from early on I thought he would get stuck trying to do so. Kid has balls, but all that talk lastnight about redefining himself, changing his skill and mentality..they can forget all that! The time for that was when he was walking in hunched over, squared up shooting 1-2's off flat wide feet and falling into clinches to be dropped by Cosme Rivera etc. His flaws were glaring, he was never well rounded enough to be 'great' and honestly the kind of 'entertaining' he is now is a euphemism for talking alot of damage and being future punchy.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Berto is smart enough to have surrounded himself with the right people who has guided him thus far so as long he takes a different approach and works on his craft, there's no reason why he couldnt build himself back up on the undercards.. He doesn't need to be a headliner.

Every young fighter gets overrated when they are scoring knockouts and Berto is no different.

He really needs to change his ways though because natural talent isn't going to cut it at the high level.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Berto is a good fighter. Just no more than that though. It's crazy he was getting paid $1MM to fight on HBO, but Showtime just paid 32-year old Paulie Malignaggi $1.3MM to fight Broner. It's always a bit eye opening when you think of it that way. [What's worse?] The bottom line is that people like knockouts. There's always going to be more hype on a guy that gets knockouts. A few years ago, Berto was causing thrilling knockouts, albeit against unheralded fighters for the most part.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    What the fuck is your problem? Are Berto fights not entertaining. Ortiz and Guerrero were fights of the year candidates and fight last night was good too. Should entertaining fighters not be shown more on tv then dull fighters?
    Listen here you fucking waste of sperm fuck nugget. Next time take little time out of your pathetic existence to read the fucking thread before you reply like the headless piece of residue you are.

I don't care if you are the most entertaining fighter in the fucking world IF every time you step up and fight in a big fight you lose! Then I don't want to see you fighting for immediate BELTS and headlining.

I'm not saying he should retire I know some of the fights were very close and what not, my problem is with him getting a shot at the IBF right after he lost his WBC.

You act like just because he is entertaining he should stay headlining because hes fun to watch. STFU this is not the UFC mother fucker this is the sweet science. We have legit ranks. Gatti was very entertaining but we all knew he did not belong in there with Mayweather nor De la hoya.

But then again some of you guys don't know shit about boxing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Listen here you fucking waste of sperm fuck nugget. Next time take little time out of your pathetic existence to read the fucking thread before you reply like the headless piece of residue you are.

I don't care if you are the most entertaining fighter in the fucking world IF every time you step up and fight in a big fight you lose! Then I don't want to see you fighting for immediate BELTS and headlining.

I'm not saying he should retire I know some of the fights were very close and what not, my problem is with him getting a shot at the IBF right after he lost his WBC.

You act like just because he is entertaining he should stay headlining because hes fun to watch. STFU this is not the UFC mother fucker this is the sweet science. We have legit ranks. Gatti was very entertaining but we all knew he did not belong in there with Mayweather nor De la hoya.

But then again some of you guys don't know shit about boxing.
    You got clowned you didn't watch the fights get over it, Ortiz was an absolute beast when he beat Berto in one of the most enjoyable matches you'll see. Guerrero hadn't lost in 7 years and had never lost with his dad when he mugged Berto. Devon,Rigo, Lara, Vazquez, Abril and Ward are among my favorite fighters but you are a fool if you think Berto is an embarrassment you are just parroting something you heard Bob Arum say about Berto, Zou Shimming in 6 rounders is our problem not Berto.

Thread Information