Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wladimir Klitschko passes Larry Holmes to become the 2nd longest-reigning HW champion

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Wladimir Klitschko passes Larry Holmes to become the 2nd longest-reigning HW champion

Wladimir Klitschko is now the 2nd longest reigning Heavyweight Champion of all time and has the 3rd most consecutive title defenses at 14.

Longest reigning heavyweight champions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko passes Larry Holmes to become the 2nd longest-reigning HW cham

Well well well how about that

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko passes Larry Holmes to become the 2nd longest-reigning HW cham

He has got to win THE title first!

And if we are talking 'alphabet crap', well I have had a claim since July 1988...
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think number of title defenses is more impressive than actual length... Larry still has 6 over Wlad!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quantity vs quality.

Thats what it comes down too.

Some think this is the weakest era in heavyweight history.

Some think that this era is just as good and wlad is as good as it gets.

As much as i dont think Wlad is better than larry, i really believe if Wlad was american there would be a huge difference in the way he was viewed.

Wlad is dominating this era and you just cant blame him for that.
    Theres no more lennox lewis.
    We just got to deal with what we have and perhaps fury and wilder might surprise us all.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post

And if we are talking 'alphabet crap', well I have had a claim since July 1988...
    Have to agree with this. Wlad is great, and you can't expect the guy to fight his brother, but he was never clearly the best heavyweight in his time. Let alone the lineal undisputed champion, which he never became as you say.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post

Have to agree with this. Wlad is great, and you can't expect the guy to fight his brother, but he was never clearly the best heavyweight in his time. Let alone the lineal undisputed champion, which he never became as you say.
    Thats the thing.
    The fact there brothers we dont know who the top dog actually is.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it's quality over quantity but in Wlad's case, he can only beat the best that are available to him in this era and dude has been consistently doing the job for years now. He needs to be commended.

Hopkins' reign at 160 wasnt much different but people give him shitload of credit for what he accomplished..

Wlad deserves praise for consistency.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    it's quality over quantity but in Wlad's case, he can only beat the best that are available to him in this era and dude has been consistently doing the job for years now. He needs to be commended.

Hopkins' reign at 160 wasnt much different but people give him shitload of credit for what he accomplished..

Wlad deserves praise for consistency.
    He sure does, but the fact remains he has never fought by far his biggest threat, and never actually won the lineal title in the ring, which Vitali did. As I say, of course you can't expect them to have fought. It's just what it is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wladimir Klitschko has been The Man for so long now, ya can't knock him anymore.
    Over a thousand licensed pro heavyweights from around the world, international open competition, and the brass ring at the top is 12 million dollars or more per fight. And the thousand cruiserweights too with many of them with aspirations of going up to Heavyweight.
    Wladimir has turned them all back.
    Plus he came back from the greatest of adversities, and was not psychologically destroyed by losing. In fact, he became a better fighter and dominant Champion for it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love to see wlad vs wilder.
    Fighters dont usually like fighting their ex sparring partners.
    Wilder has many things to learn but an aggressive hard hitting tall fighter is something Wlad would rather avoid especially as theres so many other easy pay cheques he picks up in his country.
    If deontay improves, hopefully the pressure will and it happens before end of 2014 as wilder has a great chance.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    I would love to see wlad vs wilder.
    Fighters dont usually like fighting their ex sparring partners.
    Wilder has many things to learn but an aggressive hard hitting tall fighter is something Wlad would rather avoid especially as theres so many other easy pay cheques he picks up in his country.
    If deontay improves, hopefully the pressure will and it happens before end of 2014 as wilder has a great chance.
    Deontay Wilder needs to fight a few live opponents first.

Wladimir would be ridiculed by his haters if he fought Wilder now.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After watching lennox school wilder on basic jabs, I'm convinced that he won't be ready to take on Wlad for awhile.

As freedom mentioned, wilder needs to mix it up with some live bodies before taking on the best of the division.

Unless he wants to turn out like Jeff Lacy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree.

Thats why i mentioned he needs to improve and hopefully within the next two years he gets a shot.

Even though he might not be there yet i would rather see a wild dangerous wilder for 3 rounds than another jean marc mormeck or tony thompson 3.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad is the top dog and it is ridiculous to say he is not the best just because he does not fight his brother. That fight should not happen anyway that would be sick.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information