Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Curtis Stevens Makes a Statement

Curtis Stevens has arrived. He called out Golovkin prior to his fight with Saul Roman, and after icing Roman (see below), once again called him out.

To keep it all in perspective, Roman was moving up in weight to 160, and entered the fight having been knocked out 7 times before, BUT still, he is a good competitor, and I thought this would go at least a few rounds.

Stevens has been stopped before, and has been out-boxed by Andre Dirrell and Jesse Brinkley. At the same time, Golovkin has not faced a puncher like Stevens yet. In my opinion, Stevens still needs a signature win. He doesn't have a Macklin, Rosado, or even Proksa on his resume. However, with all the noise he's made about fighting GGG, it would be nice to see him step into the ring with him.

Golovkin's people appear ready to make the fight. Will Stevens step up? How do you guys see a fight in November between Stevens and Golovkin playing out?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Curtis Stevens Makes a Statement

No doubt Stevens can punch and make for excitement, but Golovkin hardly fights like he's hiding a dodgy chin and I wouldn't expect much two way action there. GGG mid round TKO I'd expect, but I really don't care to see the fight happen. Golovkin-Quillin is about the only fight I'd clamour for at 160.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    No doubt Stevens can punch and make for excitement, but Golovkin hardly fights like he's hiding a dodgy chin and I wouldn't expect much two way action there. GGG mid round TKO I'd expect, but I really don't care to see the fight happen. Golovkin-Quillin is about the only fight I'd clamour for at 160.
    Golovkin needs to clean out the division, much the way Sergio has. Stevens is a natural target when considering that.

I like the middleweight division right now. I would like to see Martinez-Golovkin, Martinez-Quillin, Golovkin-Quillin, Golovkin-winner of Geale/Barker, and Quillin-Stevens, even Quillin-Mora, although I expect some backlash there.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's true, he doesn't have many other scalps to go after. I hope Martinez can return to form, but I suspect he's not going to be the fighter he was a few years ago. If he recovers well and still wants Golovkin that fight would need to get made and fast, would be awesome.

For me Stevens would be a lot more live in a match with the winner of Barker-DeGale, although I doubt that fight makes sense for anyone involved. And so you should receive backlash, for wanting to see Mora fight anyone

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's true, he doesn't have many other scalps to go after. I hope Martinez can return to form, but I suspect he's not going to be the fighter he was a few years ago. If he recovers well and still wants Golovkin that fight would need to get made and fast, would be awesome.

For me Stevens would be a lot more live in a match with the winner of Barker-DeGale, although I doubt that fight makes sense for anyone involved. And so you should receive backlash, for wanting to see Mora fight anyone
    That was impressive. Is it December yet? Starving for points I took him as a long shot upset. Thought Stevens might fold under pressure. Just wanted to get my feet wet my first Saddo challenge and instead I'm drowning.

Interesting read here.

Team Golovkin Discuss Stevens Fight, Lewkowicz Jabs

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That would be a great fight if it happens. Great knockout that was.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1) That was a hell of a punch.

2) Anyone who openly calls out the nastiest fighters in boxing has my respect.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

That was impressive. Is it December yet? Starving for points I took him as a long shot upset. Thought Stevens might fold under pressure. Just wanted to get my feet wet my first Saddo challenge and instead I'm drowning.

Interesting read here.

That's a bit crazy that they offered Murray more money than he got for Martinez and he turned down the fight.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Interesting read here.

That's a bit crazy that they offered Murray more money than he got for Martinez and he turned down the fight.
    I thought Murray couldn't get a US visa though

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The same Curtis Stevens that was KOd by a journeyman?

Against Golovkin? ..... Hardly.

I don't like Golovkin, and I sort of like Stevens but it seems unlikely that Stevens static style would trouble GGG.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post

Interesting read here.

I think there was mention of the fight in the UK. If you saw Murray's reaction to GGG's KO of Murray, this is not super surprising.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Murray has no chance.. Id rather see Stevens get a shot because he brings a puncher's chance.

GGG's has fought a bunch of JMWs and guys who couldnt check his chin ..

Definitely want to see him against a young puncher whose not afraid of him.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG stops Curtis early. I have no problem with the fight happening but would much prefer GGG to be fighting bigger names. Hopefully he gets the winner of Barker/Geale but I reckon they are more likely to take on one of the other MWs then him

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post

Interesting read here.

I think there was mention of the fight in the UK. If you saw Murray's reaction to GGG's KO of Murray, this is not super surprising.
    Yes I did see that and I am not surprised either it not happening. But this is only GGGs side of the story, so it would be interesting to hear what Murray has to say.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Murray has no chance.. Id rather see Stevens get a shot because he brings a puncher's chance.

GGG's has fought a bunch of JMWs and guys who couldnt check his chin ..

Definitely want to see him against a young puncher whose not afraid of him.
    I would argue Murray is a tougher challenge than Stevens.

In boxing years, at 28, Stevens isn't young. Do you remember the "Chin Checkers" group he was in with Jaidon Coddington back in the early 2000's? (Maybe I have him mixed up, but I think that was him).

Also, as devastating as the KO was, Saul Roman was a career junior middleweight, not a middleweight. Moreover, Brinkley dominated Stevens. That doesn't bode well for Stevens in this match-up.

If you ask me, I like the idea of Stevens against Quillin for Stevens first, but for GGG, other than the Geale/Barker winner, Stevens is as good as anyone.

Thread Information