Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Left Hook Gap

Ok lazy asses, it is time to buzz the tower bag...

Consider 5 gifs below:

Kenny Weldon on the left hook

Some average guy's left hook

Danny Garcia's left hook side view

Sugar Ray Leonard's left hook 2 views:

The first question is: why there is such a visual gap between Kenny with Average Jo vs. Danny and Ray?
    Kenny and Jo hop from one leg to the other, they do transfer the weight from left to right, they do create a leverage. Danny and Ray pivot on the front foot, transfer more weight from front to back, and snap in shoulder. Both parties are not entirely wrong, but, I guess, all of you will prefer Danny/Ray technique. The second question is why? My only semi-answer by far: I feel it is hard to create the shoulder snap with the first technique (but I cannot prove it).

In case some of you wonder who is the best about my understanding of the shoulder snap - follow here:
    Shadow Boxing: Snap in General | www.SugarBoxing.com

This post is inspired by Top Gun
    Last edited by SugarBoxing; 08-15-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Left Hook Gap

Throwing the left hook does not begin with the pivot on the left foot, not if you want 'snap' on the punch. Follow this and try it out.
    From your stance, drop your right foot flat, toe perpendicular to your target- you want the right side of your body in a straight line, as close as possible. You use the muscles on the right side of your body to torque your left side around; this causes your left foot to pivot. The left foot pivots on the toe, the leg turns, the hip turns, the shoulder turns. Your keep your left shoulder in its original position as long as possible, and the tension you are creating causes it to turn, whipping the fist through the target. Turning the weight in front of the punch creates a whip-like effect and concussive force.
    What Weldon is showing is damn near useless. Many years ago I bought one of his training videos and wasn't impressed with the way he taught punching. Then I saw a fighter of his- Weldon had started him, and he was undefeated. Punched just like Kenny taught in the videos and he couldn't hurt anybody with his fists, bad luck for a prize fighter.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Throwing the left hook does not begin with the pivot on the left foot, not if you want 'snap' on the punch. Follow this and try it out.
    From your stance, drop your right foot flat, toe perpendicular to your target- you want the right side of your body in a straight line, as close as possible. You use the muscles on the right side of your body to torque your left side around; this causes your left foot to pivot. The left foot pivots on the toe, the leg turns, the hip turns, the shoulder turns. Your keep your left shoulder in its original position as long as possible, and the tension you are creating causes it to turn, whipping the fist through the target. Turning the weight in front of the punch creates a whip-like effect and concussive force.
    What Weldon is showing is damn near useless. Many years ago I bought one of his training videos and wasn't impressed with the way he taught punching. Then I saw a fighter of his- Weldon had started him, and he was undefeated. Punched just like Kenny taught in the videos and he couldn't hurt anybody with his fists, bad luck for a prize fighter.
    Thanks for shedding certain light, I also figured out the way to throw the snapping hook like you have described. My experience, that non of coaches I trained with understand it sadly. Where did you get this understanding by the way?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Thanks for shedding certain light, I also figured out the way to throw the snapping hook like you have described. My experience, that non of coaches I trained with understand it sadly. Where did you get this understanding by the way?
    Edwin j Haislet explains it in his book. Scrap talks about it in a bunch of places- in the link you provided, he mentions how the left side of the body drives the right hand; it goes the other way as well. My father taught me about punching. I watched Joe louis.
    I REALLY recommend the Haislet book.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As Greys says, what moves any side of the Body is the opposite side. Also every Punch is a Backfoot Punch, because that is your distance, the power source.Dont fall back onto it, drive off it gives better control of the Front Foot mechanics.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tnx to all for the feedback, I managed to put pieces together for my article on the topic.

Thread Information