Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Johson & Jack Dempsey : Who would be more effective in today's HW division?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jack Johson & Jack Dempsey : Who would be more effective in today's HW division?

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jack Johson & Jack Dempsey : Who would be more effective in today's HW division?

Johnson

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jack Johson & Jack Dempsey : Who would be more effective in today's HW division?

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Johnson
    Agreed.. I think Dempsey would look pretty good against someone like Marco Huck though..

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Johnson
    Agreed.. I think Dempsey would look pretty good against someone like Marco Huck though..
    Same. Dempsey does well with many of the smaller hevs I think.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's funny is that Ring Magazine did an article on how Wladimir would fare against the great heavyweights from the past and if I recall correctly every single expert on the panel predicted that Jack Dempsey and Jack Johnson would beat him. Now I think that's a little crazy, but food for thought.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Johnson
    Nope, Dempsey destroyed big guys. He wasn't called Jack the Giant-Killer for nothing. It's them little $#!ts gave him some trouble as he tried to catch up to them as they skedaddled around the ring...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

24 year old Dempsey spars 6'6" Big Bill Tate in preparation for Dempsey's challenge of Champion Big Jess Willard.

Challenger Dempsey vs Champion 6' 6½" 245 lb Willard, who had KOed Jack Johnson for the Title.

Current champ 6' 7" 245 lb Vitali Klitschko fights just like Willard, and they're both about the same size. Except Jess had better conditioning and was more difficult to hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"As far as his style(Jack Johnson), no. I have no great interest in copying his style because if he was in the modern day, he wouldn't make a penny. Very clever, very smart, but very uninteresting. You wouldn't have to take a laxative or something to fall asleep watching him fight." - Mike Tyson on Jack Johnson.

More than anyone in Boxing history, Tyson fought so much like Jack Dempsey, except Dempsey was a taller bigger man, and showed the ability to turn a fight around when it wasn't going his way and achieve victory.

Last edited by bradlee180; 08-22-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Johnson
    Nope, Dempsey destroyed big guys. He wasn't called Jack the Giant-Killer for nothing. It's them little $#!ts gave him some trouble as he tried to catch up to them as they skedaddled around the ring...

Don't get me started on Dempsey. He would do ok today against the little guys but that's only because of how lame the division is. Oh he beats the Primo Carneras and Willards of today's world but he gets killed by today's version of Wlad or a prime Vitali. He might beat a few guys in Lennox's day but Lewis himself would destroy him and even guys like McCall. Dempsey ducked every black fighter of his day of any consequence and even avoided Harry Greb. I could name 50 heavyweights with relative ease from his day to the present that beat him. In an era like Ali's he'd be an opponent.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Johnson.

Dempsey had nothing to hold him back fighting his best in that era and whay we saw of dempsey was all he could be.

Jack johnson was carrying fighters and was 60% of the fighter he was for fear of being killed at any point due to his black skin.

They both have different respectable styles but you have to factor in the outside influences and the fact jack destroyed everyone in his prime with ease but was holding back so much more.

Such a shame.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

neither would be anywhere close fighting like they did and with the knowledge they had back then

with the aid of todays training methods and knowledge both would be up there, assuming they would have grown into real HWs
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would they not be cruiserwights today?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Although Johnson was the big strong guy in his day, his awkwardness and reflexes have me thinking he'd be a somewhere between Dokes, Chambers and Byrd.

Demspey would be a less effective Morrison or Tyson.

I think both would have some success, probably not a great deal at the very top given their size disparity but Johnson would probably have a much longer career

Then again, Johnson's mindset was probably on being the big man, so as a little man he may not have the same strength in mind
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 08-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    if not light heavies
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    if not light heavies
    In that case they would destroy the light heavies and cruiser weights today.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information