Who would have won and why?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tyson VS Holyfield in 91

At the time I fought Holyfield was made for Tyson and Mike would have won a war in about six rounds.

With 20 odd years of hindsight, I think the evidence suggests Holyfield would have gone punch for punch and foul for foul with Tyson, slowly gaining an edge and winning a decision.

Holyfield mentally was stronger, and Tyson's life was falling apart at the time.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No way Tyson was already quite burned out by the time that fight woulda took place let's say Fall 1991, Holyfield was a lean mean sleek high-speed machine with stamina to boot. Holyfield woulda sliced Tyson to pieces by the 8th or 9th. Stoppage.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As inconsistent as he was a champion, a fired-up and healthy Holyfield is the about the only guy that I think genuinely presents problems for just about any fighter going - past, present or future.

It pains me to say that He'd beat any version of Tyson - one way or another, probably 4 times outta 5.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Judging how Mike would have fared against Evander based on how their eventual fight went is as unfair as judging how Louis would have done against Marciano.

Mike had one the heavyweight title 10 years before and had an enforced break of 4 years thrown in. He just wasnt the same boxer.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Judging how Mike would have fared against Evander based on how their eventual fight went is as unfair as judging how Louis would have done against Marciano.

Mike had one the heavyweight title 10 years before and had an enforced break of 4 years thrown in. He just wasnt the same boxer.
    So he is not allowed to ask the question ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll go with Tyson, but it's really a pick 'em fight IMO.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

So he is not allowed to ask the question ?
    Of course he is fuck face...

My reply was in response to those who had already replied. Its obvious most people will base a hypothetical match between these two at an ealier time on the matches they did have when Mike was far removed from the fighter he was.

Like I said. Would Louis beat Marciano? Would Ali beat Berbick? Would Foreman beat Morrison, Holyfield and Briggs?

Mike wasnt old but he didnt fight like he used to.

The Tyson that fought Holyfield in 96 would also have lost to the Rudduck that he beat.
    Hed sat on his ass for 4 years he was never going to be the same fighter. Ali wasnt the same fighter who could dance out of trouble, he spent alot of time on the ropes and he was out a year less than Mike

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's hysterical giving Tyson a near pass as faded and imposter Mike in 97 when it was Holyfield who was being called a walking dead man going into that fight. Did Holyfield stop aging, taking damage and being ko'd in 91 Mike sitting in prison is his problem and the same fat ego and scrabbled mentality that helped put him there would and was also brought into the ring with him.

90, 91 or 97 I think Holyfield had what it took to top Tyson. Combination punching and a determination and stiff mentality takes it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and steroids?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is that your default setting when it comes to a Tyson-Holyfield match?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I maintain that Tyson would have won the first fight because Tyson still had a bit in the tank. His technique was not as good but his punch resistance and conditioning was better than when he came out of jail.

I think Tyson would have won and it could have easily been a KO1 but more than likely it would have been a classic war with Tyson coming out on top. Holyfield was smaller and lighter and did not bulk up until the second fight with Bowe. This smaller version was rattled by Cooper and Foreman and was vulnerable.

However I do think that there would have been a demand for a rematch and he would have won that and the final decider in this alternative dimension.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The trouble here is they fought in the same era, but didn't peak at the same time.
    Tyson won a Title in 1986, and his peak was 1988, particularly against the undefeated lineal Champ Michael Spinks.
    Holyfield, though the Cruiserweight Champ, only went to Heavyweight in mid-1988.

In the 1989 Bruno fight, I think Tyson was already showing a few problems, maybe not showing as much focus and dedication, maybe not training as hard. He won the fight, but he wasn't as awesome.

In 1989, Holyfield took out a good contender in Alex Stewart as he made his way up the ladder and developed into a better fighter.

In early 1990, Tyson was KO'd by Douglas.
    In late 1990, Holyfield KO'd Douglas.

The big showdown was scheduled for Nov 8, 1991.
    There were posters hyping it in the magazines, but Tyson got arrested for rape and later went to jail instead.

Tyson had been back on-track after the Douglas loss though, at least in the ring.
    Leading up to Nov 1991, Tyson had KO'd Tillman, Alex Stewart, and did the 2 fights with Razor Ruddock. Fighters were no longer scared stiff of him because they had seen him getting knocked out, but it was clear he was still an elite fighter.
    In contrast to Tyson's 4 fights resulting in 3 KOs, Holyfield had only fought once, and it was a very tough decision win over 42 year old Big George Foreman.

After the Holyfield/Tyson Nov 8, 1991 fight was scrapped, the promoter decided to try to make a little money anyway, so Holy's defense was rescheduled for 15 days later with a last-minute opponent. Old trial horse, Smokin' Bert Cooper, who fought a lot like Mike Tyson, took the fight though he was just coming off a cocaine-fueled, month-long bender, and he still almost knocked over Holyfield.

I think at that period in Nov 1991, if the fight had come off, I think Tyson would've been too much for Holyfield. And that's even with Holyfield's "supplements" that built his 188 lb body up to 208

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only reason they fought in the same era is that EVERYONE wanted to see the Mike Tyson that made sense of a division again. In fact some enjoyed just watching him knock out anyone, even if it wasnt a meaningfull fight.

Who did Mike beat after prison? I think one of his best wins was against Golota (after prison). He just wasnt the same fighter that his opponents struggled to land on or defend every punch in a lightening 5 punch combination.

He stood static in front of opponents and threw one shot at a time and not because he thought it was better to fight that way but hed forgotton what made him great and no one he was prepaired to have as his trainer could teach or remind him of it.

Thread Information