Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hurting hands !

I do Thai boxing and boxing and have done for a while but I'm training a lot harder now with me finishing uni. I'm improving a lot and I'm hitting harder now than I ever have done. I train wearing 10oz sandee gloves and wrap my hands properly. But the end of every session especially after doing lots of bag work my knuckles and wrists are sore. I'm connecting with my punches and not bending my wrists when the punches land. But with me training at least 4 times a week doing the Thai boxing I just don't want to damage my hands. Is there any advice on this? I've got 14 oz gloves as well would it be better to use them instead of the 10s?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hurting hands !

Not doubting that you wrap your hands well but some guys focus on wrapping there knuckles a little too much and end up not being able to clench a proper fist. Maybe try a few more laps around your wrist as I've found that a little goes a long way around the knuckles. Check out your gloves too. Some have padding on the palm of the glove which can cause the same problems. I use Fairtex 16 ounce gloves for boxing - sparring, bags & mitts and they work a treat. Never had any more problems with my right wrist and they don't feel like pillows either.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've just bought better wraps then , ill test them out tonight. I've got 10 oz sandee gloves and 14oz sandee gloves, I think they are decent not had any problems with them before it's just recently i seem to be hitting a lot harder than I ever have and i do feel pain the next day. Hopefully the better wraps will help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would say definatley try the 14's mate,I use 16oz on heavybag.

Lighter gloves are good when youre working technique on mitts and light bag work,But they won't give the same level of protection when pounding on a heavy bag.

And yeah make sure you are wrapping your hands well,use a nice long hand wrap,I like 180inch.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seen to many injury's, on the heavy bag why because they are hard, think your punching to
    the body a human body gives, heavy bags have no give they are solid, remember they may
    suit many fighters, but if you got bad hands maybe not for all fighters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Many heavy bags are just too hard.
    They don't have to be that f*<kin' hard...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They are better with better wraps and bigger gloves but still can feel it when I really put the power through. Will have to take it a bit easier i reckon. Hopefully having a fight in December in boxing, not had one since I was 16 and ill be 23 by then so looking forward to getting back in there. It's so much easier to train now I've finished uni, far less distractions!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Tam,
    Here are a few recommendations to help your hurting hands:
    1) Use 14 and/or 16 oz gloves in training.
    2) On your off-days/times (i.e. whenever it comes to mind when you're not formally training), lightly hit a flat piece of iron or hardwood repeatedly for 20-60 second periods with your bare fists (incorporating both the two-knuckle landing - i.e. index and middle finger knuckles and three-knuckle landing - i.e. middle, ring, and pinkie finger knuckles).
    3) After every training session, wash your hands in hot water (as hot as you can handle for 10-30 seconds, opening and closing them and rubbing them in all possible ways during the process). Afterwards, fully open and close your hands as wide and tightly as possible for 10-30 seconds. Repeat as desired (just don't overdo it).

Give these a shot for a month and let us know if they help.

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Simple don't punch the bag to hard, my son has broke his hand on a heavy bag regarding gloves
    wraps it may help, but people hurt there hands hitting the bag to hard, not rocket science.!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dia bando,
    Don't punch the bag too hard? The way you train is the way you'll execute/fight...

In boxing, one of the most desired attributes to develop is punching power, more specifically one-punch knockout power (ideally in both hands). The ultimate objective in boxing is to knockout your opponent in as clinical and devastating a fashion as possible with accurate, powerful, well-timed shots. With that said, your recommendation to not punch the heavy bag too hard doesn't make sense in light of that objective.

A more sensible recommendation in this regard for those with hand problems is NOT to reduce the power generation in their punches but to reduce the duration of time with punching the heavy bag (using a softer heavy bag and 14/16 oz training gloves in the process). So, for instance, instead of doing six rounds on the heavy bag, cut it down to three rounds.

To reiterate, power is one of the primary attributes to develop for boxing; so pulling your punches is a contraindicated thing to do.

Now, with the above said, if a person's objective with boxing is recreational fun or for low-to-moderate intensity exercise, then your recommendation has merit for people with brittle hands. Other than that, everyone involved in boxing should do their very best to maximize their punching power.

Take Care,
    Lito
    Last edited by StrictlySP; 09-09-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like some of the other posters have suggested, try a larger glove. I use Everlast protex 16's on the bag and my hands never bother me anymore, I also don't launch full on power shots round after round, I just stay busy. For years I used 12 oz. bag gloves, and my hands were always aching.
    Best of luck!

Thread Information