Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: Apparently that Tommy Morrison died

Share/Bookmark
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    london
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    722
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Just found out about this. Heartbreaking news. Morrison was a great white heavyweight when there weren't many around. He was a very good heavyweight period. Action packed fighter and a character. I remember in his comeback fight he was asked what it was like to be in the ring again, he said "Well gettin hit in the face hasn't changed a whole hell of a lot in 12 years" RIP Tommy
    He was the last great american white heavyweight.

    Great left hook.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,585
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    676
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Apparently that Tommy Morrison died

    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Just found out about this. Heartbreaking news. Morrison was a great white heavyweight when there weren't many around. He was a very good heavyweight period. Action packed fighter and a character. I remember in his comeback fight he was asked what it was like to be in the ring again, he said "Well gettin hit in the face hasn't changed a whole hell of a lot in 12 years" RIP Tommy
    He was the last great american white heavyweight.

    Great left hook.
    You fellas ought to get off of this "Last Great White American Heavyweight" kick...
    His management figured they could cash in on the "Great White Hope" thing, especially after the Rocky film, so they kept dying his brown hair blonde, and tried to make no mention that Morrison's mother, Diana Morrison, is a full-blooded First Nations woman, Otoe and Ponca.

    Sports Illustrated covered it in the early 90s at the height of Morrison's popularity, but it goes to show that many people just don't read.
    "...gets annoyed when she hears Tommy called the Great White Hope (Tim Morrison, whom she divorced in 1980, is white). "Why don't they call him the Great Native American Hope?" she asks, more mocking than serious. "Or at least half a Great White Hope. It's all so silly."

    When he fought Joe Hipp in a terrific gruelling, bone-breaking fight, some fans knew they were watching a couple of First Nations guys in there. Others thought it was a White Hope vs a Native American.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,585
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    676
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Apparently that Tommy Morrison died

    ESPN has a recent story up with an interview with Diana Morrison. Aug 23, 2013.

    Merrill: Tommy Morrison's latest big fight - ESPN

    "In a house on the edge of a dead-end road, an old woman waits for her son to die. The call will come any day now, she says, and when it does, she wants her youngest boy to be buried in Sulphur Springs, Ark., with the rest of the family. She dreads and hopes for this call, if that makes any sense. Only none of it makes sense.

    Diana Morrison crushes a Pall Mall, lights another and dissects her son's fate. She's matter-of-fact about it, barely emotional, perhaps because Tommy Morrison, former World Boxing Organization champion, former HIV cautionary tale, has stared at death before. But this time it's different.

    She says he has full-blown AIDS. She believes he's in his final days. His skin is jaundiced; his liver is failing. "He's too far gone," she says, flashing an incredulous look when asked whether he could recover. "He's in the end stages. That's it." She says Morrison has been bedridden for a year, can't speak and is being kept alive with the help of a feeding tube and a ventilator.

    "I talk to him on the phone," she says. "I tell him that the family loves him, he's always in our prayers. What can you say to him? I don't tell him to keep fighting or nothing, because I want him to go."

    She is interrupted by her ex-husband, who's living with her now because he's had a couple of strokes. Tim Morrison wraps his arms around Diana, and she tells him to go lie down, but he keeps pacing around the house with a blank look on his face."

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    london
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    722
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Just found out about this. Heartbreaking news. Morrison was a great white heavyweight when there weren't many around. He was a very good heavyweight period. Action packed fighter and a character. I remember in his comeback fight he was asked what it was like to be in the ring again, he said "Well gettin hit in the face hasn't changed a whole hell of a lot in 12 years" RIP Tommy
    He was the last great american white heavyweight.

    Great left hook.
    You fellas ought to get off of this "Last Great White American Heavyweight" kick...
    His management figured they could cash in on the "Great White Hope" thing, especially after the Rocky film, so they kept dying his brown hair blonde, and tried to make no mention that Morrison's mother, Diana Morrison, is a full-blooded First Nations woman, Otoe and Ponca.

    Sports Illustrated covered it in the early 90s at the height of Morrison's popularity, but it goes to show that many people just don't read.
    "...gets annoyed when she hears Tommy called the Great White Hope (Tim Morrison, whom she divorced in 1980, is white). "Why don't they call him the Great Native American Hope?" she asks, more mocking than serious. "Or at least half a Great White Hope. It's all so silly."

    When he fought Joe Hipp in a terrific gruelling, bone-breaking fight, some fans knew they were watching a couple of First Nations guys in there. Others thought it was a White Hope vs a Native American.
    Tommy never complained.
    Why are you.?

    Do you really think if he went with the first nation thing he would have been in rocky 5 or made all these millions?

    Tommy and his management knew what he was doing and tommy mentioned many times his family tree with John wayne aka the duke (real or not?!) so he knew what he was doing.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    14,470
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2599
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    I have a great Morrison story that I'll save for a while but I will say that I was able to meet the man personally and it's a bit of a shock to see he's passed in what seems such a short time. He was a great guy and my guess is a character to the end. RIP. Seriously, sad story.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,307
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    645
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Apparently that Tommy Morrison died

    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Just found out about this. Heartbreaking news. Morrison was a great white heavyweight when there weren't many around. He was a very good heavyweight period. Action packed fighter and a character. I remember in his comeback fight he was asked what it was like to be in the ring again, he said "Well gettin hit in the face hasn't changed a whole hell of a lot in 12 years" RIP Tommy
    He was the last great american white heavyweight.

    Great left hook.
    You fellas ought to get off of this "Last Great White American Heavyweight" kick...
    His management figured they could cash in on the "Great White Hope" thing, especially after the Rocky film, so they kept dying his brown hair blonde, and tried to make no mention that Morrison's mother, Diana Morrison, is a full-blooded First Nations woman, Otoe and Ponca.

    Sports Illustrated covered it in the early 90s at the height of Morrison's popularity, but it goes to show that many people just don't read.
    "...gets annoyed when she hears Tommy called the Great White Hope (Tim Morrison, whom she divorced in 1980, is white). "Why don't they call him the Great Native American Hope?" she asks, more mocking than serious. "Or at least half a Great White Hope. It's all so silly."

    When he fought Joe Hipp in a terrific gruelling, bone-breaking fight, some fans knew they were watching a couple of First Nations guys in there. Others thought it was a White Hope vs a Native American.
    Tommy never complained.
    Why are you.?

    Do you really think if he went with the first nation thing he would have been in rocky 5 or made all these millions?

    Tommy and his management knew what he was doing and tommy mentioned many times his family tree with John wayne aka the duke (real or not?!) so he knew what he was doing.
    I don't understand, is he not white?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    21,318
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1916
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Apparently that Tommy Morrison died

    Sad news my thoughts go out to his family.... @CountryBoy told me he was his cousin a few years back and I always used to wonder if he was really Tommy himself.


    R.I.P Champ
    Last edited by Saddo; 09-04-2013 at 01:13 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18,672
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Apparently that Tommy Morrison died

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddo View Post
    Sad news my thoughts go out to his family.... @CountryBoy told me he was his cousin a few years back and I always used to wonder if he was really Tommy himself.


    R.I.P Champ
    You know I actually use to wonder that shit too

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    london
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    722
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Just found out about this. Heartbreaking news. Morrison was a great white heavyweight when there weren't many around. He was a very good heavyweight period. Action packed fighter and a character. I remember in his comeback fight he was asked what it was like to be in the ring again, he said "Well gettin hit in the face hasn't changed a whole hell of a lot in 12 years" RIP Tommy
    He was the last great american white heavyweight.

    Great left hook.
    You fellas ought to get off of this "Last Great White American Heavyweight" kick...
    His management figured they could cash in on the "Great White Hope" thing, especially after the Rocky film, so they kept dying his brown hair blonde, and tried to make no mention that Morrison's mother, Diana Morrison, is a full-blooded First Nations woman, Otoe and Ponca.

    Sports Illustrated covered it in the early 90s at the height of Morrison's popularity, but it goes to show that many people just don't read.
    "...gets annoyed when she hears Tommy called the Great White Hope (Tim Morrison, whom she divorced in 1980, is white). "Why don't they call him the Great Native American Hope?" she asks, more mocking than serious. "Or at least half a Great White Hope. It's all so silly."

    When he fought Joe Hipp in a terrific gruelling, bone-breaking fight, some fans knew they were watching a couple of First Nations guys in there. Others thought it was a White Hope vs a Native American.
    Tommy never complained.
    Why are you.?

    Do you really think if he went with the first nation thing he would have been in rocky 5 or made all these millions?

    Tommy and his management knew what he was doing and tommy mentioned many times his family tree with John wayne aka the duke (real or not?!) so he knew what he was doing.
    I don't understand, is he not white?
    Dont matter what colour he was..

    He was the the heavyweight champion of the world.

    He will always be remembered.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,049
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3130
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    So, after all the bull it was the aids that got him? I just dont see the need for the lies and constant denial. Ah well, he was a fun fighter and a surprisingly deep resume. Shame it was curtailed so soon.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,307
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    645
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Apparently that Tommy Morrison died

    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    I don't understand, is he not white?
    Dont matter what colour he was..

    He was the the heavyweight champion of the world.

    He will always be remembered.
    yep, I don't care who's who or what they look like, I'm just asking

    was tommy Morrison white?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    london
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    722
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    I don't understand, is he not white?
    Dont matter what colour he was..

    He was the the heavyweight champion of the world.

    He will always be remembered.
    yep, I don't care who's who or what they look like, I'm just asking

    was tommy Morrison white?
    Apparently not, according to bradlee.

    Pavilik is also mexican
    Last edited by imp; 09-04-2013 at 02:15 PM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1054
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Apparently that Tommy Morrison died

    Morrison was a white guy (just like Obama is a black guy), but I don't like this "Great White Hope" crap either. Why make it about race? People got behind Tyson in a big way and he was a black guy from the ghetto. People don't get behind the Klitschko's, and they are big, white and well educated - they just happen to be from Europe.

    I think if you have the "goods", you put on exciting fights and you knock people out, people will get behind you. Morrison definitely had the "goods".

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,307
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    645
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Apparently that Tommy Morrison died

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Morrison was a white guy (just like Obama is a black guy), but I don't like this "Great White Hope" crap either. Why make it about race? People got behind Tyson in a big way and he was a black guy from the ghetto. People don't get behind the Klitschko's, and they are big, white and well educated - they just happen to be from Europe.

    I think if you have the "goods", you put on exciting fights and you knock people out, people will get behind you. Morrison definitely had the "goods".
    yeah but it made tommy a lot of money and made for good entertainment

    better than the entertainment we have now in the HW division

    whos got behind the Klits? they are boring inside and outside the ring

    actually vitali isn't that boring but wlad is, yawn
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1054
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Apparently that Tommy Morrison died

    I just don't like the implications that being white somehow gets you a free pass in fight sports, or that people will get behind you just because you're white. It detracts from the accomplishments of the white boxer, and it also implies a racial bigotry among fight fans. And I don't believe it's true. Floyd makes more money than anyone in the history of boxing. Who were the biggest earners of the last few decades? Ray Leonard, Tyson, De La Hoya (Latino), Mayweather... I think in the end people just want to see exciting fighters. Morrison was exciting and he was REALLY GOOD.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Did Tommy Morrison NOT have HIV?
    By Douglas in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 07:01 PM
  2. tommy morrison
    By iceman in forum Ask the Trainer
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 01:10 PM
  3. is it me or does tommy morrison look ill?
    By themusic in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 02:35 AM
  4. Tommy Morrison
    By benjamming554 in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 07:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing