86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nhl thread

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Flames fan here but live in Yukon. I'll be retired before they make the playoffs.
    It looks like they're finally doing the right thing and starting a rebuild. They did an AWFUL job of managing their assets over the last 4-5 years though.

Still, I hate them and am happy to watch them lose .
    Fair enough. I hate the Canucks and think them a group of primadonna choke artists. Iginla got placed into a franchise position in cow town and was never a franchise player. Implosion once the expiry date became reality.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Flames fan here but live in Yukon. I'll be retired before they make the playoffs.
    It looks like they're finally doing the right thing and starting a rebuild. They did an AWFUL job of managing their assets over the last 4-5 years though.

Fair enough. I hate the Canucks and think them a group of primadonna choke artists. Iginla got placed into a franchise position in cow town and was never a franchise player. Implosion once the expiry date became reality.
    I also hate the Canucks, though I mostly do so because of their fans. I actually like a lot of the players.

Iginla was elite in his day, but he never had players around him to complement his skill set. Craig fucking Conroy is the best centre he ever played with. Put him with someone elite and he would have put up even more impressive numbers. I was a Canucks fan when he was in his prime and he and Kipprusoff were both very frightening to go up against because either one could take over a game.

I've gone back to cheering for Detroit when I actually watch hockey. They were my favourite team when I was a kid.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    at least the flames won the stanley cup in the age of colour tv ! I go to see the flames farm team, abbotsford heat every so often and they had this large mustachioed stanley cup winning hero parading around one day :S no idea why they thought having calgarys farm team so close to vancouver would be a good idea ! :S

I grew up in Weyburn Saskatchewan. Prairie town. 10 thousand people and the Weyburn Red Wings were a Detroit farm team.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed

I also hate the Canucks, though I mostly do so because of their fans. I actually like a lot of the players.

Iginla was elite in his day, but he never had players around him to complement his skill set. Craig fucking Conroy is the best centre he ever played with. Put him with someone elite and he would have put up even more impressive numbers. I was a Canucks fan when he was in his prime and he and Kipprusoff were both very frightening to go up against because either one could take over a game.

I've gone back to cheering for Detroit when I actually watch hockey. They were my favourite team when I was a kid.
    Agreed. He never even had suitable grinders like in the Lanny days going up against Wayne and crew. Now that was hockey rivalry.

Also agree on the shifting foundations. I find myself also going back to my roots and the Bruins.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    at least the flames won the stanley cup in the age of colour tv ! I go to see the flames farm team, abbotsford heat every so often and they had this large mustachioed stanley cup winning hero parading around one day :S no idea why they thought having calgarys farm team so close to vancouver would be a good idea ! :S

I grew up in Weyburn Saskatchewan. Prairie town. 10 thousand people and the Weyburn Red Wings were a Detroit farm team.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think iginlas career as an elite player ended the day I took him first in my fantasy draft :S..... what a terrible idea... he mised the start of the season with back spasms and was just well below his usual performances allround..... It'd be nice if he won the stanley cup but I dont like boston so I hope he doesnt..

anyway the canucks played pretty good last night.. It was only edmonton I guess.... but it was a very different result from the preseason games... so hats off to the canucks... hopefully they can keep it up..

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lack starts today v calgary... good choice I think... the sports radio(team 1040) were all saying stick with luongo... but back to back game and lack needs to get some nhl games to get up to speed... he's going to have to play a fair few games so better to get him in as soon as possible.. calgary are one of the weaker teams this year, they beat columbus already but they are not one of the best teams out there so I think this is agreat place to get started with lack and if he sinks badly and cant handle the nhl then its best to find out sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gibsons here, just 40 minute ferry from Van. I am one of the fans you all hate.

GO CANUCKS GO!
    a spontaneous creation with multiple moods.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone going to the Montreal-Van game?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

all I know about the NHL is the mid 90s games on the mega drive

Jeremy Roenick was fucking awesome in that game. The end
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Doot View Post
    Gibsons here, just 40 minute ferry from Van. I am one of the fans you all hate.

GO CANUCKS GO!
    Just make sure you try to burn down your own city next time they choke in the finals.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I wasn't part of or approve of the riot. I am the fan that wears his homer glasses for every game and sees no wrong in their play.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Doot View Post
    Well I wasn't part of or approve of the riot. I am the fan that wears his homer glasses for every game and sees no wrong in their play.
    I know, I'm just being a jackass. I used to be a HUGE Canucks fan, but that riot and, to a lesser degree, being surrounded by other Canucks fans changed all that for me.

I actually don't think they choked in 2011 either. They were decimated by injuries and lost to a very good team. They did, however, act like a bunch of pussies.
    Last edited by CFH; 10-08-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boston should be quite solid this team, pretty excited and believe that they have everything necessary to make another superb year and who knows, perhaps pull the great honors in the end.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

El Kabong Guest

I'm going to bump this thread #1 because I'm following hockey closer again and #2 I'm preparing myself to start playing again......yeah AGAIN. Born and raised in the South and I played growing up and will hopefully get back on the ice soon.

I've been reminiscing with one of my friends who was on my team back in the day about all our favorite players, the GOLDEN ERA of the NHL (1980's up to the strikes for the most part), and of course the games we played in growing up.

I'm not certain that guys like Crosby or Ovechkin would be stars back in the day just because the league has changed so much. Yeah you have oversized goalie pads and no calls against 2 line passes, but back in the day there were some greasy quick players and their acceleration was so amazing. Bure and Federov alone were just magical on the ice.

Thread Information