Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Artur Beterbiev

Artur Beterbiev is a potential boxing star. He has an excellent amateur background and is an exciting fighter with a relentless, attacking fan-friendly style.

Here's his second pro fight from yesterday. His opponent Rayco Saunders had only been stopped once before, back in 2003, despite being in with many hard punchers.

And here's his first pro fight from earlier this year:

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Artur Beterbiev

Beterbiev knocks out Ismayl Sillakh in the amateurs:

Artur Beterbiev vs Ismail Sillah - YouTube

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I bet fighters from Europe or specifically Eastern Europe hate phrases like geographic imperative. You have to wonder just how many Laszlo Papp's missed the boat because of such bullshit. I actually expected a particular Eastern European explosion after the wall came down brought on by past poverty.
    The very thing that drove the early 20th century pugilists.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Artur Beterbiev interview - Ring TV

Anson Wainwright: Tell us about your fight on the undercard of Bute-Pascal against Gabriel Lecrosnier.

Artur Beterbiev: I’m looking forward to it. It’s going to be a great day for boxing in Canada.

AW: You haven't wasted any time in the pro ranks. While you've fought journeymen, they're durable types that you have impressively stopped. What are your thoughts on your fights to date?

AB: It’s important that I fight to the best of my ability and capability. As a professional, I cannot think any differently. Each challenge is unique and I take them all seriously with the best level of dedication and commitment I can.

AW: How do you feel you've been able to adapt to the pros so far? What is the biggest difference for you?

AB: Amateur and professional boxing have lots in common but are different at the same time. In an amateur bout, knockouts are accidental. In professional boxing they are very common. Professional boxing is more aggressive, traumatic and dramatic as well. It’s hard work, dedication and victory at any price.

AW: What can we expect from you in 2014? Are you looking to move quickly?

AB: Personal growth is very important for me as an athlete, friend, parent or human being. There is always something to learn and something to achieve in this life. I look for progress in everything. For as long as I can box, you can expect my very best in training and performing. This approach, of course, will take me on the path to becoming the next world champion.

AW: If I can take you back you were born in Khasavyurt, Russia, can you tell us a little about your early years there?

AB: I came from a family of four children and I was the youngest one. I am very close with my brothers who have always supported me and now they are my biggest fans. Thanks to their support I have lots of good memories of my childhood. Even during the War in Chechnya, when times were tough, they were always there for me. To keep me away from the streets when I was ten years old, my brothers brought me to my first boxing gym. I will always remember that day, since then, me and boxing are inseparable.

AW: You had a tremendous amateur career, winning silver at the 2007 World Championships before coming back to win the gold in 2009. You're also a two-time European champion. Can you tell us about your Olympic experiences?

AB: Winning gold in 2009 was the most memorable and dear to me. As for the Olympic Games, I was very stubborn and Olympic judges were stubborn about me. I don't regret anything. It was a great experience.

AW: After the London Games you signed with Yvon Michel and relocated to Canada. That's a big move. How did this come to happen? Could you also tell us about the other members of your team, manager, trainer and what gym you train at?

AB: It’s true it was a big move for me. When I decided to turn professional, I received many offers from different promoters. For me it wasn't the matter of money, it was a matter of a good team. I'm very happy to deal with Yvon Michel, Marc Ramsey and my manager, Anna Reva. Besides being very professional, they are my good friends.

AW: As an amateur you hold a win over current WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev. You outpointed him. This looks particularly impressive today in light of his recent form. Can you tell us about that fight?

AB: When I fought Sergey Kovalev in semi-finals (of the Russian national championship), my heart was already set on the fight with the captain of the Russian team, Makarenko, in finals. My goal was set at that time. I had to beat Makarenko and to do that had to defeat Kovalev, which I did (smiles).

AW: What are your thoughts on the light heavyweight division and the current champions?

AB: I have lots of respect to all of them. It’s very hard to become champion. They deserve it.

AW: What are your goals now as a professional boxer?

AB: My goals are to continue fighting in a way that delivers my ambitions and gives fans what they come to see.

AW: What do you enjoy doing away from boxing?

AB: I’m blessed to have a family – my beloved wife and two children – and all my free time I spend with them. I also like to go to the cinema and watch movies.

AW: In closing what would you say to the light heavyweight division?

AB: I like my weight category. There are lots of great opponents, therefore, good opportunities to use boxing technique and skills. There is also lots to learn.

Thread Information