Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Danny Garcia: I'll do one more fight at 140

Fresh off his victory against Lucas Matthysse, Danny Garcia, the current WBA, WBC and Transnational junior welterweight champion, spoke to the press briefly and reveled his desire to get back into the ring plus commented on a possible fight against Floyd Mayweather Junior.

Speaking on how he defeated Lucas Matthysse and the rumors about a rematch:

Hard work, good training camp and good sparring partners. Even though I’m a younger fighter, I have more experience than him in a championship fight and fought good opposition before so I think that played a big part. Just the hard work and the confidence. I’m not really interested in a rematch. He wasn’t the champion.

On working with his father Angel Garcia:

We’ve always been elite. (We have) good chemistry and we know how to win.

Having always been considered an underdog or being overlooked, Garcia had the following to say:

Fights of that magnitude (Mat give that extra push, cause I always work hard. It’s in my soul and it brings out the best in me these kind of fights. It’s not about being the underdog or the guy that’s picked to win, fights of that magnitude just bring out the best in me.

Garcia is also open to a potential fight with Floyd Mayweather:

That means a lot. Floyd’s been a champion for 17 years, I’ve been a champion for 2 years. Just for people to put my name in the same category as him, being in a potential with him means a lot.

With the contenders at 140 drying up, Garcia claimed he could do one more fight before moving up:

I’ve definitely proved myself as champion at 140. I can fight the fights I want at 140 but there’s really not a lot of fights in that weight class for me. It’s going to be a tough decision, I fought hard for them (sic) belts. I’m getting to that point where maybe I will move up, maybe I won’t but if anything I’ll do one more fight at 140

Speaking about his exposure since being the main support to the Mayweather-Alvarez fight, Garcia claims that it’s changed his life:

Everywhere I go people know who I am. I can walk in the mall no more! My life changed overnight. I’m just blessed and am ready to do bigger and better things.

When asked by FightNews about a possible rematch with Khan:

He hasn’t been looking that spectacular in his last fight. He’s a good fighter, definitely the fastest fighter I’ve ever fought but as far as me fighting him to get to Mayweather, nah.

In closing, Garcia would return to the ring in a heartbeat if needed:

I didn’t really take no punishment (in the last fight), if they booked me for a fight tomorrow, I’d be ready.

- Fightnews

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Danny Garcia: I'll do one more fight at 140

I like Garcia but a hope he says well clear of floyd even if he were to fight floyd surely he has to have a few fights at 147 1st before jumping in with floyd.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only person worth fighting for Danny at 140 would be Alvarado if he gets through his next fight as well. Apart from him who else is there for Danny to fight?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia earned the right to be considered the best at the weight and Khan is looking elsewhere which is a shame as that was going to be a very interesting rematch.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Other than a Matthysse rematch, I don't see any interesting fights for Garcia at 140. He should move up to face Broner/Maidana winner (Broner), Thurman or Alexander.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    The only person worth fighting for Danny at 140 would be Alvarado if he gets through his next fight as well. Apart from him who else is there for Danny to fight?
    Matthysse rematch or potentially Broner at 140?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would love to see it but alvarado is with Top Rank..

Lucas rematch is his only big option at 140..

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Matthysse rematch or potentially Broner at 140?
    Broner will probs fight at 147 now he has the belt.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Would love to see it but alvarado is with Top Rank..

Lucas rematch is his only big option at 140..
    Danny said he's not interested in a rematch

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sadly a rematch wouldn't be worth it if he has a chance to fight Floyd, I'm sure he knows that. He fights Matthyse again it's a fight he could easily lose, plus it may not even be a pay raise without being attached to such a big event. The Alvarado-Provo winner would be good call I'd say.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Sadly a rematch wouldn't be worth it if he has a chance to fight Floyd, I'm sure he knows that. He fights Matthyse again it's a fight he could easily lose, plus it may not even be a pay raise without being attached to such a big event. The Alvarado-Provo winner would be good call I'd say.
    In his defense, the money would need to be right for a rematch, otherwise why take the risk?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh for sure, I just mean sadly for fans it's unlikely to happen. If I'm Garcia, losing to Floyd is a hell of a lot more appealing than beating Matthyse again.

jon09 Guest

Broner would be an ideal fight. As would Yuriokis Gamboa who has hinted about fighting Floyd via 50 cent, so why not try the undisputed Jr. Welter King instead.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I bet Garcia has been given the gag order. Floyds on holidays. Khan has blown his wad with that shit press release. The only person announcing the winner of the next lottery is Floyd. There is a reason they were on the same card.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thinking they already have someone in mind but doubt its a Broner or really a top tier type. Honestly nice to see a guy off his biggest win not get happy feet and bounce to another division right away...but lets see who it is though. The winner of Provo v Alvarado would be awesome, but way off considering the amount of damage both run a high risk of taking. A Matthysse rematch would get my attention. It wasn't a terrible fight. Hell, put Hank Lundy in there ha. A big mouth self promoter fellow Philly fighter with decent quick skill but a leaky defense, give Danny a chance to produce a left hook finish KO. Dunno...thin pickings really....um PAULIE Pablo C Cano goes down? That would be a fun fight!

Thread Information