Hoping for some advice specifically relating to weight training.

About 8 weeks ago I noticed a pain in my right shoulder. I carried on training but noticed my strength on my right side dropped rapidly, week on week. For instance I was bench pressing 120kg but now it's a struggle to do 70kg. I know it's strength in my right side as my left arm is still strong in the other exercises and now far exceeds my right side (I'm right handed).

Anyway, I rested completely for 2 weeks and the pain went. So went back to the gym, and had only a small amount of pain, but my strength in my right side was still awful.
So I booked in privately with the physio at the gym and went today. She did a few tests and is completely sure I've torn my rotator cuff, specifically a subscapularis tear (with associated scapula winging). The test she did, the lift off test, should only show if the tear is 60% or greater (she didn't say that but that's what the papers i've read show).
But after diagnosing that she didn't make another appointment for treatment but she then gave me a few exercises with bands to do for a couple of weeks, then to start building up with weights again if it has started to feel better. She said she was confident it will be fixed and to go back to her if in a few weeks it hasn't started to get better. But that leaves me with a few questions...

1) All the reading I have done suggests that only surgery can fix a rotator cuff injury, so will these rubber bands and a couple of weeks really help? Is it possible to heal a torn rotator cuff without surgery?
2) The pain is really quite low, it's just a massive loss of strength, so how can I test that its better without pain as an indicator?Especially as I shouldn't really try to life heavy weight to test it?
3) If I'm going to be out of action for a considerable time, what do you guys think of training just one side of the body (and legs)? I know I don't want to create further imbalances but as its my naturally weaker side i'd be training maybe I could get away with it for a while at least before that becomes an issue?

I'm guessing this is a situation where internet help isn't really useful as you can't examine me, but any advice would be appreciated.

@AdamGB
@Scrap

Is this an area you have any expertise in?

Thanks