Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default putting hip rotation into your jab

Ive seen Tyson do this, he can get the most hip rotation into his jab and left hook because he has a very square on stance.

Ive seen Pac Man do this too, he will sometimes follow his rear cross or rear overhand hook, with a hip powered "jab"

Also Ive seen other good boxers hip rotation into their jab (one called Yuri? something a chinese russian mixed race boxer that fought in Japan as a lightweight) he did it straight from the more classical more side on stance, without needing to square up his hips first.

Anyway im finding my arm dosnt want to go dead ahead when I try it, rather it badly wants to turn into a hook or a straight punch that goes off to the side.

How are these odd punches done properly?

I appreciate they arnt text book and their effectiveness is debatable but I still want to know how to do them well.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: putting hip rotation into your jab

There is always a bit of hip rotation when you jab, in that you have to turn your hip to the center line of your body. So it is a very small movement. And you do not transfer weight when you jab.
    But when you throw a 'jab' after a right hand (or after a left, for a southpaw), then there is a weight transfer as you begin the punch with weight of your front foot. That would make it more a straight left hand than a jab.
    The same thing is true if you throw it as a counter punch. For example (and I'm using two orthodox fighters here), if you slip inside a jab and then counter with a jab. When you slip inside the weight would go onto your left foot, necessitating weight transference and thus more hip turn than would occur with a 'jab.'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    There is always a bit of hip rotation when you jab, in that you have to turn your hip to the center line of your body. So it is a very small movement. And you do not transfer weight when you jab.
    But when you throw a 'jab' after a right hand (or after a left, for a southpaw), then there is a weight transfer as you begin the punch with weight of your front foot. That would make it more a straight left hand than a jab.
    The same thing is true if you throw it as a counter punch. For example (and I'm using two orthodox fighters here), if you slip inside a jab and then counter with a jab. When you slip inside the weight would go onto your left foot, necessitating weight transference and thus more hip turn than would occur with a 'jab.'

Thats brilliant Grey thankyou!

What do you think of this punch as an addition to the Jab? Its a punch Bruce Lee created.

The video below shows it. The punch is a mix of boxing fencing and wing chun.

Also what do you guys think of this Punch Bruce Lee devised? (obviously hands up would be wise his hands are down low etc but im talking just the mechanics off it)

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bruce Lee didn't invent that. Maybe they think he did because he introduced a lot of boxing into his version of martial arts. The way he is transfering the weight is wrong- he is punching with the right hand and the weight ends up on the right foot. What are you going to throw next? You certainly aren't coming back with a left hand- look at the position he is in.
    You see a lot of mexican fighters throw a similar left hand after slipping a left from an opponent. The thing is, the weight needs to end up on the other foot if you want to throw another punch behind it.
    Or maybe it doesn't, because you see a lot of guys working everything off their front foot in this era, but that doesn't make it the optimal way of doing things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Bruce Lee didn't invent that. Maybe they think he did because he introduced a lot of boxing into his version of martial arts. The way he is transferring the weight is wrong he is punching with the right hand and the weight ends up on the right foot. What are you going to throw next? You certainly aren't coming back with a left hand- look at the position he is in.
    You see a lot of mexican fighters throw a similar left hand after slipping a left from an opponent. The thing is, the weight needs to end up on the other foot if you want to throw another punch behind it.
    Or maybe it doesn't, because you see a lot of guys working everything off their front foot in this era, but that doesn't make it the optimal way of doing things.

Thanks Grey, I agree the way he is throwing it for the demo, he does finish with all the weight on the front foot and great point yea he would be in trouble if he couldnnt follow up.

But when I try it, I find the snap you get on the punch automatically puts (rebounds) the weight back on your rear foot or at least in the centre? Is that how you find it?

I totally agree with the modern era thing is like alot of coaches make their freaking stance front loaded, thats good for the jab and left hook I suppose but no good for the right hand and seems dangerous for uppercuts, but I guess the jab and left hook are higher % than the rights and uppercuts and thats the thinking behind it?

Grey you know with the jab you push off the rear foot with but you stay in place you are not moving forward with it, well does that put your weight back on the rear foot after you have fired it or at least centre?

I was thinking the straight lead is alot like that version of the boxing jab with regard to weight transfer? It throws the weight forward momentarily but it rebounds back to the centre or the rear foot?

Also was their an old punch from bare knuckle days call the orthodox left cross so a jab where you transfer the weight from the front foot to the back by rotating the hips? I try this and its a powerful punch and it sets the right cross up perfectly it fully loads it.
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 11-03-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What helps me is when I throw a left jab or left hook, I start it off by pushing with my lead foot (this helps with the hip rotation).

Another thing that can help especially with the left hook is to rotate the right hip as though you were going throwing a right cross, and then throwing the left hook (not sure you'd want to do this every single time, though).

Thread Information