Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Special overhand

Ok this is the directly down overhand, does it have a name? (most people refer to the overhand as a right hook with a slip, but this is the proper overhand that truly comes over the top from 12 oclock to 6 oclock.

Also how do you throw this punch for optimum power? Can you get any more power out of it than what he is showing would it be more powerful with a slip?

(for me I find I get a longer range of motion and a more powerful overhand if I slip to the side Tyson style)

((Tyson slips from the waist by bending to the side, which is very unusual, most slips are either bending forward at the waist, bending one leg so you tilt to the side or rotating the hip to take your head off angle, or some combination of these slips))
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 11-24-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Special overhand

Good luck hitting somebody with that. It may work in MMA bouts because those dummies like to get hit- it seems, because they don't get out of the way of much. He telegraphs the hell out of that punch, winding up and throwing it like a baseball. The thing about throwing a right hand (or, for a southpaw, the left) is that it comes right from the shoulder, even if you are throwing it with a loop or hook in it.
    In boxing you'd have a real hard time landing that punch, overhand like that, on a legal part of the glove, on the knuckles. When I was about 15 I was sparring with a guy that got frustrated because he couldn't hit me with a jab or a right hand, so he threw that desparation over hand punch he was talking about. I got under it, more or less...His glove didn't hit me but his wrist hit me on top of the head and shook me pretty good for a second.
    Tyson slips on his legs. You have to slip on your feet and legs to be able to punch back. If you just bend at the waist, you'll be off kilter and unable to punch back. Especially if you bend to the side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Good luck hitting somebody with that. It may work in MMA bouts because those dummies like to get hit- it seems, because they don't get out of the way of much. He telegraphs the hell out of that punch, winding up and throwing it like a baseball. The thing about throwing a right hand (or, for a southpaw, the left) is that it comes right from the shoulder, even if you are throwing it with a loop or hook in it.
    In boxing you'd have a real hard time landing that punch, overhand like that, on a legal part of the glove, on the knuckles. When I was about 15 I was sparring with a guy that got frustrated because he couldn't hit me with a jab or a right hand, so he threw that desparation over hand punch he was talking about. I got under it, more or less...His glove didn't hit me but his wrist hit me on top of the head and shook me pretty good for a second.
    Tyson slips on his legs. You have to slip on your feet and legs to be able to punch back. If you just bend at the waist, you'll be off kilter and unable to punch back. Especially if you bend to the side.
    I agree Tyson does slip with the legs too but he also slips just from the waist as well, remember the footage of him dodging that pendulum thing that was just from the waist.

If you bend forward at the waist like alot of boxers do (from their mostly side on stance) then you are right you cant then fire a shot of from where you are very well. But with Tysons stance and way of slipping its different you can bend to the side (not forward) and in that bent position you can still fire off a shot and your weight is loaded just fine too. He also slipped with his legs too. It was a different slip for different scenarios' im pretty sure of that.

I know you are dead right it is a near useless punch even if it had a ton of power it still dosnt connect to the chin or jaw very well, but I can throw every punch in boxing apart from that one and it bugs me I want to be able to throw it can you tell me how or is it exactly like that guys shows it? I cant get the arc/ elbow part right!? It seems really weak because it travels such a short distance.
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 11-24-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you try to throw it as he does in the video- and he's throwing that punch like throwing a ball- it won't be a hard punch because the technique is wrong. Jack Sharkey, top HW of the 1920s and 1930s, when he started the rap on him was that he threw his right like throwing a ball. He tightened it up and became a champion. But...
    Suppose you are trying to throw a punch over a guy's shoulder? Let's use two orthodox fighters as an example, and I would teach this a lot, especially to shorter fighters. You make a move to the right, to get outside the opponent's left hand and foot- out of range, remember? So you are outside his shoulder and want to throw a right hand back over his shoulder...
    To throw that punch, you get your arm in the same position that he shows, at the start of the punch. And you put your weight onto your left foot, and turn hard. The trajectory of the punch goes like this; from that position he shows, so that, at the end of the punch, your fist nearly hits your left hip. But you never straighten your arm, you keep it bent at a 90 degree angle. That provides some of the pop in the punch, you see?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    If you try to throw it as he does in the video- and he's throwing that punch like throwing a ball- it won't be a hard punch because the technique is wrong. Jack Sharkey, top HW of the 1920s and 1930s, when he started the rap on him was that he threw his right like throwing a ball. He tightened it up and became a champion. But...
    Suppose you are trying to throw a punch over a guy's shoulder? Let's use two orthodox fighters as an example, and I would teach this a lot, especially to shorter fighters. You make a move to the right, to get outside the opponent's left hand and foot- out of range, remember? So you are outside his shoulder and want to throw a right hand back over his shoulder...
    To throw that punch, you get your arm in the same position that he shows, at the start of the punch. And you put your weight onto your left foot, and turn hard. The trajectory of the punch goes like this; from that position he shows, so that, at the end of the punch, your fist nearly hits your left hip. But you never straighten your arm, you keep it bent at a 90 degree angle. That provides some of the pop in the punch, you see?
    Awesome job grey I totally see now it just got ALOT more powerful and arc's towards my opposite hip as im doing it in thin air.

So its about rotating your shoulder (internally) which puts the elbow up high and points the fist down and the hip rotation does the rest.

Brilliant teaching thanks coach!

Im so happy I can do all the boxing punches now!
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 11-24-2013 at 05:03 AM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have read some of your posts....
    Lets me answer all your questions

Overhead right is technically a right hook, but to land the punch from above you gotta tilt your body, so the axis of rotation is no longer in horizontal plane like in the standrard hook. Plus, like in a hook, you gotta differentiate between the shovel punch and a swing.

Like any punch, to thow the overhead with full power you have to
    1) set body weight in explosive motion
    2) form a power-line from the shoulder to the hitting kunckle
    3) explode - clench your fist and with it all other muscles on the impact

Setting body weight in motion for the overhead is done with two mechanisms (combined or separete)

One is the "springing forward" principle, using the push from the rear (right) leg like Fedor:

Apparently this is for the case when you strike from the long distance.

The other is "the falling forward" principle, by retracting the front (left) foot, which hold most of the weight like Joe Luis:

This technique is for the short range

What is common in all cases is the shoulder whirl and corresponding shoulder snap. This phase is present always: to punch with the right forward you gotta rotate the left side of your body backwards. The retardation between the body movement ( corresponding tension in the shoulder muscles and tendron) and the arm not moving results in the snap.

SOme tips how to land the punch here.

Some tips on the left hook technique which are equally applied for the right hook are here

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by SugarBoxing; 11-24-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
    I have read some of your posts....
    Lets me answer all your questions

Overhead right is technically a right hook, but to land the punch from above you gotta tilt your body, so the axis of rotation is no longer in horizontal plane like in the standrard hook. Plus, like in a hook, you gotta differentiate between the shovel punch and a swing.

Like any punch, to thow the overhead with full power you have to
    1) set body weight in explosive motion
    2) form a power-line from the shoulder to the hitting kunckle
    3) explode - clench your fist and with it all other muscles on the impact

Setting body weight in motion for the overhead is done with two mechanisms (combined or separete)

One is the "springing forward" principle, using the push from the rear (right) leg like Fedor:

Apparently this is for the case when you strike from the long distance.

The other is "the falling forward" principle, by retracting the front (left) foot, which hold most of the weight like Joe Luis:

This technique is for the short range

What is common in all cases is the shoulder whirl and corresponding shoulder snap. This phase is present always: to punch with the right forward you gotta rotate the left side of your body backwards. The retardation between the body movement ( corresponding tension in the shoulder muscles and tendron) and the arm not moving results in the snap.

SOme tips how to land the punch here.

Some tips on the left hook technique which are equally applied for the right hook are here

Hope this helps!
    This helps alot, its an awesome answer, I cant wait to try these 2 variations on my heavy bag tomorrow, thanks alot mate I really appreciate you taking the time to write that for me!!

That setting weight in motion is a really cool article too!!
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 11-24-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Thread Information